LEAVING

JOURNEY TO ENGLAND

 

Chapter 1

 

 

 

“The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”

 

-Vincent Van Gogh-

Dutch Painter

 

In the far away islands of the Balearic in Mallorca is a small town called Valldemosa. It is located on the slopes of the Tramuntana Mountains so beautiful and many it is that with its glory it made the island a perfect paradise. The town is famous for the best catchers of rare fish which are exclusively found on the island. In this town were houses are close to each other and the road go from every side and even up to the steepest slope many families of fishermen live catching the best fishes. But one house is far from the town, on top of a hill made of clay alone by itself. Its roof is of tiles where stones are put on top of some to keep it from falling when strong winds blow. It is in this house that our story begins. A story of the adventures of a boy called Tottowi.

“Toto, why do you have to leave?” a young child at the age of five asked his sister’s friend who became somewhat a big brother to him. Toto as he was called by the young children of Valldemosa is a charming young fellow. Everyone is at ease whenever talking to him, they say he got it from his father who was a famous fisherman in the town.

“I’ll be back Miro. I just have to go somewhere,” Tottowi smiled to the child and went on to finish packing his things.

“Where is it? Is it far from here?”

Toto looked into the vast ocean where he sees the sun slowly setting.

“Yes, it’s beyond the sunset.”

“That is so far!” Miro lied on the grassy ground and looked at the clouds. He pointed many clouds that looked like shapes of different objects. One was a fish, another a boat and then he sighed.

“Toto, I wish you don’t have to go. I’m going to miss you, I won’t have anyone to play with anymore,” he covered his eyes. Toto looked at Miro; he then took a chest from one of his bag and took out something.

“Miro, here, I want to leave you this.”

In Tottowi’s hand is a shiny black pearl.

“Toto! But, that’s, isn’t that from your father?”

“I’m going to leave this to you which means I will be back to get it Miro. It’s my promise to you. Take care of it as if it were yours.”

Miro’s eyes glimmered, “I promise! I will take extra care of it!”

“Miro! Miro!” a shout from down the hill can be heard.

“You better go Miro, Anna is looking for you. Tell them I’m sorry I didn’t say goodbye and I hope they would understand.”

“I don’t understand. Why won’t you tell them?”

Tottowi just smiled and patted Miro. He went down to the other side of the hill so that he won’t be seen by Anna. He glanced at his house, “I’ll be back.”

On the eastern part of the town by the shore is a cemetery. All the people who died in Valldemosa were buried in this peaceful place, only the waves splashing ashore and the sea gulls looking for food can be heard.  Tottowi stopped by and visited his parent’s grave.

On the two slabs of stones lying side by side were written the name of Tottowi’s father and mother, Mario de la Vera and Teresa de la Vera.

“Father, I’m going to that place where all you’re dreams came true. I want to see the places you saw. I want to know more about you. I hope you won’t be angry Mother, it’s time for me to see the outside world.”

Tottowi was one year old when his father Mario left Valldemosa to serve the King of Spain along with the other young and old male of the town. He became a captain on one of the great ships of King Alfonso who alongside England defeated the enemy, France. Captain Mario de la Vera was given a medal of honor from the King of England when he saved the life of his son the Prince. Since then, the King of England wanted Capt. De la Vera to stay and serve him. After two years, the young Captain went back to his hometown only to find out that his wife died of an illness a few days before his arrival. It made him mad and he killed himself by jumping off a cliff. It was a sad story that made everyone in Valldemosa feel pity for the young child who was left alone.

As Tottowi pulled his cart he heard footsteps, he hid his cart behind a tree and he went hiding in a bush.

“Where is he?” A girl with short brown hair asked panicking.

“He has left Anna. There is nothing we can do, ‘’ an old man with a white beard said as he hold onto Anna’s shoulders.

The young girl cried. She covered her face and kneeled on the sandy ground.

“He is such an idiot! He didn’t even say goodbye! I’m going to kill him if he ever comes back!” The old man smiled and smoked his pipe.

“He has grown up Anna. If he wishes to leave without saying goodbye it must be because he couldn’t say goodbye, it is hard to leave the people whom you care the most. We have no right to stop him.”

The young girl tried to stop her tears; she sat on the ground and stared for a while on the setting sun.

“Beyond the sunset huh, it must be far, isn’t it father?”

“Far indeed, but reachable,” the old man looked at the bushes where Tottowi was hiding. It was as if he knew he was there.

Tottowi sighed when the two left. Anna was Tottowi’s friend since he could remember. He lived with her family for awhile. The old man, Anna’s father was Emilio Travena, the town leader. He and his wife were the one’s who took care of the abandoned child. They filled him with love which they thought would replace the lost he had. Though young as he was, Tottowi knew he would never fit in entirely. He still longed of his mother and father. As he grew up, he learned of the stories, the past, he wanted so much to be able to feel his parents, even if he will never be able to see them. He wanted to know them. This journey was his only way of being able to do just that. The old man, Emilio knew that someday Tottowi would leave. He knew someday Tottowi would decide to go through a journey and he will not stop him.

Tottowi was sweating and itching from the leaves of the bushes. He scratched his reddish hand and smiled thinking that this was nature’s way of protesting from his insensitive way of departing from his beloved town. He took his cart and started his journey to the world outside, he left Valldemosa scratching his bottom till he arrived on the nearby village of Deya.

Deya is where people go when they decide to leave the Balearic Islands. It is in this small village where one can go to vast places such as those beyond the sunset. A lot of boats and ships dock at this place. It is the Islands primary entrance and exit to the outside world. Tottowi decides to start his journey in one of the ships going to a place where he would reach his destination, England.

When Tottowi arrived in Deya he did not know that the place would be so crowded. The village is not even as big as Valldemosa, but because it was a place for the export and import of products there were many traders and merchants.

There were a lot of inns and pubs on the port, but everywhere Tottowi went he could not find a place to stay for the night. It was getting late; Tottowi thought he would have to stay on the streets or in the woods.  But as he took his chance on the last inn called “The Sailor’s Inn”, he was lucky, there was one room available.

A man so huge with biceps that looks as hard as a rock laughed seeing Tottowi who looked so tired.

“Well well what do we have here? What’s you’re name boy?”

“Antonio sir, people I know call me Tottowi.”

“Well what is it you want Tottowi?”

“Do you still have a vacant room sir?”

The man laughed, “You’re in luck kid. We have one last vacant room.”

Tottowi was very happy with what the muscular man said. Then his stomach grumbled. The muscular man laughed.

“So! Are you hungry kid? Want something to eat?”

“Yes please,” Tottowi said a bit embarrassed.

The man gave Tottowi one roast chicken and a root beer for only fifty pesos. Tottowi could hardly believe it.

“How come it cost less? A whole chicken would’ve cost around a hundred pesos and a root beer in Valldemosa is around eighty.”

“Ah! So you’re from Valldemosa?”

“Yes, I am.”

“What brings you here?” The man sat opposite of Tottowi then slowly took a sip from his root beer.

“Well, uhm… I’m going somewhere.”

“Oh… I see. Well you look young as a calf. Where are you supposed to go?”

Tottowi wanted to eat but the muscular man seems very serious in asking him questions. Tottowi’s eyes became huge as the muscular man ate one leg of his roast chicken.

“Ah! I mean, wait. Is this some sort of interview? Do you do this often, sir?”

Embarrassed the man laughed, he apologized for unconsciously drinking and eating his customer’s food.

“I’m sorry I just couldn’t help being nosy. So, uhm, you asked why it was not expensive? Well ah…you see I had a good day today, a lot of customers you know, this is especially for you kid, on the house!”

“Really?”

“Yeah sure! I’m Pablo by the way; feel free to ask anything from me. Okay?”

“Sir, about your question, I don’t know exactly where to go, but my goal is to reach a certain place, England.”

Pablo looked into Tottowi’s eyes as if he saw them before. It reminded him of someone. Pablo laughed and ordered another root beer for Tottowi.

After dinner, Tottowi went straight to his room to rest. The room was very small, only a bed fit for one was there and a chair where a basin filled with water was placed. Tottowi washed his face first then changed his clothes. As he lied in his cold bed, he missed his home. This is the first time he left Valldemosa. Though as a kid he lived alone, he never once felt lonely. He knew that when he wakes up the next day, he would see his friends and the people who cared for him, but this time, he is lonely and never before has he felt it. He hates it and thought if his father hated it too. He slowly drifted asleep and dreamt of his house near the cliff by the sea.

The next morning Tottowi woke up as he fell from his bed. The bed was too small for him, he moves a lot when he sleeps. As he stood up a loud knock on his door made him jump.

“Who is it?”

“Tottowi you better wake up boy. Something’s up,” the voice of Pablo was easy to distinguish, harsh and loud.

Tottowi hurriedly packed his things and wore his clothes, washed his face and opened the door a bit shock to see that the muscular man was still outside waiting for him.

“What is it? What’s wrong sir?”

“Teniente Santos is coming with his goons. There here to check for new comers in the town. They will rip you off kid. They do it all the time. You better hurry before they catch you.”

“Why are you helping me?”

“I’m not helping you, I just don’t want any mess in here. You can use the back door, hurry!”

“Thanks!”

Tottowi hurriedly went to the backyard of the inn. As he went to escape he saw the so called Teniente. He had a long moustache and he was carrying a gun. His goons were huge fellas with guns also. Tottowi stayed for awhile to see what was going on as the Teniente went inside the inn. Only the muscle man was there to greet them.

“Good morning Pablo. I heard you had a newcomer stay here last night. Where is he?”

“He left already, you should have come earlier.”

The Teniente smiled and slowly walked towards Pablo.  He put his gun into Pablo’s head and slowly said in a hush voice.

“Pablo Pablo, why do you always interfere with what I do? Hm? It’s just business you know. Every new people who come here have to pay me, and I don’t want you messing around with my job.”

“You’re job? Huh! Your job Teniente is to protect the people of this village, not draw money from them to satisfy your greed.”

“How dare you!” The Teniente pulled the trigger and was about to shoot the innkeeper when an apple hit his head. He was startled and then he saw Tottowi standing by the backdoor. Pablo who was also startled and confused looked around and did not believe what he saw.

“Are you insane? What are you doing?!” Pablo so surprised with what Tottowi did was enraged.

“Get him!” shouted the Teniente to his goons.

Tottowi ran fast, he was small but he sure made the three huge goons pant.

It started to rain and it was good, the road became slippery and it was hard to see. Tottowi had to get to the docks; it was the only way to escape. As he ran he remembered he didn’t know where the dock is. He got lost after a few left and right, then a dead end. In front of him was a huge wall, there was no way to climb up. The three goons got to him and were breathing heavily, and then one of them laughed.

“You can sure run, you are going to pay for that.”

There was no escape for Tottowi now, the three cornered him, and the biggest of them was ready to punch.

“Hey you gorillas! Fight someone your own size!”

The three looked around. It was Pablo. He wasn’t wearing a shirt; you could see all the muscles. He looked hard as rock. The three weren’t intimidated, they removed their’s as well. They all laughed and started to attack Pablo one by one. Tottowi scared for the fate of the innkeeper wanted to help; he searched for something to use to hit them. When he found a huge enough wood he was about to attack when the last thing he saw was Pablo kicking all the three goons in the belly. Tottowi unconsciously dropped the wood out of disbelief. His mouth was wide open. As rain poured hard, it gave a blurry image of Pablo; it was like he was a huge bear.

Pablo went to Tottowi and then slapped him hard. He fell to the ground and coughed up blood. Tottowi lost a tooth.

“What is wrong with you? I told you to go, why were you still there?”

Pablo was very angry; Tottowi could see not Pablo but a bear.

“I, I thought they were going to kill you. That Teniente had a gun.”

“I can take care of myself boy. No greedy Teniente is going to make me dead.”

Tottowi stood up, “I grew up in a town with fishermen sir. Even when it rained hard and a storm was coming it never was a reason for them to not go to the sea. I saw you in trouble, regardless of the risk I don’t just leave and do nothing.”

Pablo smiled, “I knew someone who said the same thing and a fool he was, just like you.”

 “You’re a soldier aren’t you? You fight with precision; you don’t just punch or kick. You know the weakness of your opponents. I should have known, and then I wouldn’t have to be a fool and throw an apple to that Teniente.”

The once bear looking Pablo became his old self again, he laughed hard, “You’re an interesting kid. I like you, but do that stupid act again and I won’t just slap you.”

Tottowi smiled and then looked at the tooth that fell.

“A souvenir to remind you of me, what do you think?” Pablo laughed and pats Tottowi in the head. The rain still poured as they went to go back to the inn.

In the inn, Teniente Santos is knocked out beside a barrel of root beer.

“What did you do?” Tottowi asked as he went to look at the unconscious Teniente.

“I just punched him right in the, you know where. Cried like a baby.”

Tottowi gulped and covered his. 

“Here! Change your clothes. You have a ship to catch.”

“I don’t actually know what ship I’m suppose to…”

“The Maria, it’s a ship going to Barcelona. If you want to go to England, it’s best to start there.”

“Thanks, for everything.”

“Yah yah, go on change your clothes.”

Tottowi felt very happy, the muscle guy whom he thought was a bit peculiar ended up becoming his savior. He thought of his father, and wondered if he also met someone just like Pablo. A stranger who made him see what the world is ready to reveal to him. He would be traveling in a place with many unknown men, in the lands beyond the sea.

By the end of the day, Tottowi was ready to leave. He paid his rent, the food and gave extra to Pablo for his saving him. He refuses to accept it and got angry.

“Get out of here! Don’t come back you hear me!”

Tottowi left in a hurry before the man slaps him again.

As he was almost in the dock, he swore he could hear Pablo laughing. The harsh and loud voice, he would miss it, as he would miss Valldemosa.

Arriving in the dock, he could see the huge ship Maria, once he steps into that ship there is no turning back. He would be leaving the Balearic Islands, Valldemosa, the fishermen, old Emilio with the pipe, Anna, Miro, and his home, the house on the hill.

Tottowi sighed, “This is it.”

The rain has stopped, the wind is strong. The sky is pink, sunset filled the air. Tottowi threw his fallen tooth into the ocean as the ship sailed away. He smiled as he looked at the island becoming smaller and smaller.

“I won’t forget, definitely.”