ON THE SHIP

JOURNEY TO ENGLAND

 

Chapter II

 

 

 

“When I am dead, my dearest, Sing no sad songs for me; Plant thou no roses at my head, nor shady cypress tree: Be the green grass above me with showers and dewdrops wet;
And if thou wilt, remember, And if thou wilt, forget.”

 

-Christina Rossetti-

English Lyric Poet

 

 

In a garden filled with beautiful irises of different colors, an old lady sat drinking her tea. She has white, short and curly hair. Her pearls were beautiful in her wrinkly neck. As she sips from her tea cup it was like she kissed softly something very delicate. The old woman is Queen Francine, ruler of France since the death of her husband King Donovan. She smelled the air around her, filled with the fragrance of the symbolic flower of France. She loves her irises and so dearly that she would punish anyone who dare destroys them.

 “I’ve been waiting for you Felix. You’re late,” the Queen said without looking at the person she addressed.

“I’m sorry grandmamma; I was a bit preoccupied lately.”

The young man had thick eyebrows with sharp ends, his skin was of snow and his eyes were grey, cold as ice. The young man is Prince Felix, the only son and heir to the throne of France.

“Preoccupied? And what could it be that it is more important than having tea with your grandmamma?” The Queen pat dry her lips with a silk handkerchief embroidered on it was her name.

“It’s nothing really that important; though I have news to tell you grandmamma.”

“I do not like surprises Felix. Better hurry and tell me before my tea gets cold.”

“I’ve met my future wife.”

The Queen’s expression was of confusion. She looked at her grandson like she could not comprehend what he just said. The prince smiled and loved the surprised look on his grandmother. He sat on the opposite end of the small round table. He took a sip from his tea cup.

“What are you saying Felix? Is this some sort of joke?”

“I do not joke grandmamma, I’ve met my future wife and I’m going to be wed to her as soon as possible.”

“Outrageous! Who is this girl? I will not accept her if she is not of royal blood and why the hurry to get married? You are still young; there is no need to be in such haste.”

Prince Felix looked at her grandmamma with a serious face, “She will be mine and only mine grandmother. I will not wait for anyone to steal her away from me.”

The queen did not reply and just sipped from her tea cup.

On the southern seas, Tottowi sat silently near the back end of the ship Maria. He observed the old wooden ship. It was made from elm and oak. The design of the ship was beautifully carved. The ship looked strong and could maybe withstand a great storm. Tottowi thought how great it would be if their town had a ship like this. They would be able to catch more fish using it.

“Hello young lad! Care for an apple?” A hoarse sound made by an old man with gold rings pierced on his one ear suddenly talked to Tottowi.

“No thanks.”

“Ahhh the young people do not appreciate the nutrients one can get from apples.” He bit hard on the apple, it gave a crunchy sound. Tottowi smiled at what the old man said. Tottowi stood up and looked at the ocean. He smelled the ocean; he could taste the salt from it. He was never one to ignore an old man who wanted to have a conversation.

“Do you still have an apple?” he asked.

“Sure do, here,” the old man reached from his dirty brown bag. He got an apple that didn’t look ripe yet and gave it to Tottowi. Tottowi bit hard and it also made a crunchy sound.

“It’s good, tasty though not ripe yet.”

“Well they do say the same thing about women, those who aren’t ripe yet are the most delicious.” The old man laughed. Tottowi didn’t understand it but he smiled.

“So, what is your business in Barcelona young lad?”

“I don’t know actually, I’m just a traveler.”

“Oh hoho, a traveler you say? You’re on a journey I suppose? There must be some sort of goal?”

“Not really, just a traveler who wants to see the world.”

“An adventurer,” the man smiled then sat down,” You know, I once was like you, traveled a lot. Went to see what the world was like.”

“So how did it go?” Tottowi sat beside him.

“I saw the cruelty of the world, I stopped.”

Tottowi saw through the eyes of the old man the many hardships he experienced. He saw in his eyes what he would call, misery.

“But, in every journey there is happiness. I met my wife, in a ship just like this one, it was the day I swore that I will end my travels. How ironic it was, she too just came from traveling herself.” The old man smiled then stood up again and took another apple from his dirty bag.

“Here young lad, two apples a day will keep the doctors away.” He laughed while saying it, “Whatever that means,” he then left.

Tottowi didn’t understand what the old man was trying to say. Not about the apples, he understood that, but what made him thinking was what the old man said about how cruel the world was. He remembered the incident in Deya. The civil guards that were suppose to protect the villagers were the one’s hurting them. He tried to see if that was one example of the cruelty the old man was saying.

Not far from the ship Maria a small vessel is hidden in the thick fogs of the southern seas. It is not visible; it is hiding, waiting.

In France, Queen Francine stood tall on her terrace overlooking the vast lands which she owns. She may be old but her gracefulness makes her young. She may have wrinkles but her eyes show everyone of how great her beauty was.

A man wearing a uniform of the French royal guard was behind her.

“Did he do his job?”

“Yes your highness. But I got information that he will soon be captured. By whom we can only speculate.”

“Kill him before they get anything from him.”

“There is already someone. Even before the mission we already thought of this beforehand.”

“Wonderful, just as I expect from you Commander Alexston. I have another mission for you. I want you to tell me what Felix has been doing these past few days.”

“I have already done that your highness, since you told me about your concerns yesterday. He was busy talking to the duke of Devon. He has been courting a daughter of an Englishman for the past weeks.”

“British? Felix has bad taste after all, of all the kinds of people in the world he chooses a British girl. He will only be in vain.”

“If I may say something you’re highness.”

“Speak.”

“This is a good opportunity for us your highness. Prince Felix will be our gateway.”

“That is ridiculous yet it is a brilliant idea. You learned a lot from your father Alexston. He would be very proud. You may go.”

The young commander who was only in his twenties went out from the Queen’s hall. He was the son of the General of the late King Donovan. His father too died with his last breath for the late King.

The Queen thought about what Commander Alexston had said. She was also thinking of how a good opportunity it was for Felix to court a girl from the country’s greatest enemy. A small smirk can be seen as she looked out to the lands, which she and the late King worked hard to get and protect.

“My dear, I will definitely destroy them as they have almost destroyed us. This is for you.”

On the ship Maria, Tottowi decided to sleep outside, he could not take the loud snores of the men inside the cabins. As he went out, he selected an area of the ship wherein sacks of potatoes lie. He was ready to close his eyes when he heard whispers. He hid behind the sacks, as the voice grew nearer.

 “Let’s kill him now!”

“Shhhh!!! Someone might hear you idiot!”

Tottowi peaked from a hole in one of the sack. He saw two thin men who had many piercing all over their bodies. One man was smoking a pipe and had no ear, he was the one with the loud voice, and the other who looked more intelligent had a long grey beard. 

“We’ll kill him when the sun rises. There is no need to rush, he is old anyway it’ll be easy,” the intelligent one said.

“Why not now? I want to finish this as fast as we can, we need to get out of here, they’re coming!”

“I know that! I don’t think they’ll come tonight.”

“What makes you think that?”

“They’re pirates! They want to make a grand entrance.”

“Pirates?!” Tottowi repeated in his mind. It worried Tottowi thinking that pirates will attack the ship; all he could think of is to tell the captain at once. Unconsciously he moved too much that it made a few potatoes fell from the sack.

“Whose there?” shouted the thin man with the pipe.

Tottowi’s heart pumped hard as he saw the thin men draw knives.

“Meooow…meoooww…”

Tottowi looked at his right and saw a white cat. The thin men saw the cat too and sighed. The intelligent one laughed a bit and then they went off to their cabin.

Tottowi made sure first that they were gone before he made his move. He immediately stood up after seeing the thin men were gone. He thought of telling the captain about what he heard and wondered were the captain’s quarter was. Before he could go back to the cabin, a familiar hoarse sound startled him.

“Oy! What are you doing here lad? Shouldn’t you be sleeping already?” it was the old man with the apples.

“Sir! I heard two men talking about killing someone and they said pirates were coming, we should tell the captain!”

The old man listened to what Tottowi said and then he took the cat that was lying on his feet. He it and even hugged it a little.

“I want you to meet my cat lad, this is Milky. Her mother was named Cow. Hahaha…my daughter loved that fat cat. She bore Milky and died afterwards. She was upset but I told her Cow did not die in vain since she had Milky to replace her.”

Tottowi who was almost panicking could not understand why this old man was telling him this.

“Sir? We need to tell the captain.”

“Death my dear lad is something we cannot stop. It will come, sometimes you know but sometimes it takes you by surprise.”

The old man did not look at Tottowi but kept his cat. Tottowi who is now impatient decided to go alone, as he turned his back to head to the captain’s quarters.

“Lad, can I ask you a favor?”

Tottowi did not look back and waited for the old man to talk.

“Can you take my cat and bring her to my daughter?”

Tottowi frowned and was about to tell the old man that he is not a delivery boy but as he turned back, Tottowi swear that he saw a tear falling from the old man’s cheek.

“Are you alright sir?”

The old man laughed, “I’m getting very old that’s all. Please, bring Milky back to my daughter and tell her I love her so much and sorry that I cannot go back to her.”

“But why can’t you go back sir?”

The old man only smiled, he gave Milky the cat to him and then said to Tottowi to tell the captain of what he has heard immediately.

As Tottowi looked for the captain’s quarter he heard shots coming from the outside, many of the men in the cabin awoken from the commotion. Tottowi hurried outside with the other men.

“PIRATES! PIRATES ON THE SHIP!” a sailor shouted.

Tottowi was too late; he could not find the captain fast enough. The men ran and went to get their guns and swords. Tottowi stayed put as he saw what was happening outside. Two men were dead and one was wounded. There were many of them, at least eleven pirates. They took the food that were lying outside, some carried torches, and burned the sails of the ship. One caught Tottowi’s eyes. He was using a black cloth to cover his eyes and he had a black cape, he did not look like a pirate. He kept shouting to the others to hurry up. He was looking for someone, his eyes moved from one direction to another. The other sailors who already had their guns ad swords went outside and fought with the pirates. Tottowi snapped out from just standing and watching he searched for a sword or a gun he could use to help.

“I found him HEX!”  One of the thin men Tottowi heard whispering shouted, it was the one with the loud voice. He was standing opposite to him and had a long sword. Tottowi was shocked to see who was in front of him. It was the old man.

“SIR!” without thinking Tottowi ran towards the thin man with the pipe and jumped onto his back. The thin man was so shocked he fell to the ground and struggled to get loose from Tottowi.

“Lad! What are you doing?” 

“HEX!” the thin man shouted for his partner.

The intelligent one heard him; he is on the other side of the ship. A group of sailors and pirates who are fighting is blocking his way. The old man took the sword from the thin man, he is thinking of killing him but he changed his mind and threw the sword to the sea. Tottowi, though not as thin as the thin man could not hold him any longer. The thin man was just too strong for him.

“Why you meddling brat!”

He punched Tottowi in the face and Tottowi fell down. The thin man then faced the old man. He took a small dagger from his boot.

“You’re ready to die old timer?” he smiled as he said it.

The old man smiled back. It pissed the thin man and he charged at him. Just as the knife was about to puncture the old man a sword flew right into the thin man’s side and hit his ribs and other organs. He died instantly.

Tottowi looked up and saw the dead body of the thin man.

“What happened?”

The old man was not listening. He was looking at the masked pirate who was the one who threw the sword.

“My my…if it isn’t the famous black hunter. So they sent you to capture me?”

The masked pirate walk to were Tottowi and the old man were.

“Olivon Gyren, the once famous assassin. It seems like time has caught up on you. You are to be held a prisoner to the King of Spain. He wants you to repay all the death that you brought to his court and his country. But of course before that happens you are to confess who is it that hired you to kill the King’s youngest brother Prince Josef.”

Tottowi who was listening could not believe what he heard. The nice old man who gave him apples just a few hours ago, was actually a paid killer.

The old man smiled and then laughed hard.

“Even if I want to tell you that Back Hunter I do not think I will be able to.”

As the old man said this, Tottowi heard a shout; it came from the intelligent thin man who was on the other side of the ship. Tottowi saw on his hand, a black ball with a rope that is sparkling. He did not know what it is but the old man pushed him, he pushed him hard that he was thrown in a far corner. As he fell, there was a big explosion. It blew the right side of the ship and made a huge hole. Tottowi looked back and saw that the old man was lying motionless on the ground with blood all over him.

“SIR!” Tottowi ran towards him. He was still breathing, but just looking at him Tottowi could see no hope that he could still live.

“Lad! Don’t for…get…Mil…ky…”  The old man coughed up blood as he talked. He grasp hard on Tottowi’s hand. Then, there was a shot. Blood splattered on Tottowi’s face. The old man was shot on the chest and died.

Tottowi was so shocked with what happened, he looked around to find out who did it. He saw the masked pirate, the Black hunter as he was called. He was holding a gun and was still pointing at the old man.

“WHY!” Tottowi shout at him with his eyes fixed on the hunter. Tottowi felt so raged with what the Black Hunter did.

“Black! Let’s go!” One of the pirates called on him. He ignored the call.

The Black Hunter walked towards Tottowi.

“His dead accept and forget it.”

Tottowi rose up and wanted to punch the hunter. He did not realize that he could not stand straight, that he had a badly injured leg. He felt dizzy because of the loss of blood and before he could lay his hand on the Black Hunter, he fell and fainted.

“Black! What are you doing? The ship’s sinking!”

The Black Hunter looked at Tottowi who is unconscious.

“Who are you boy?” The hunter said even though Tottowi will not be able to hear him. He took the old man’s body lying near Tottowi.

“Rex! Bring this old man’s body on the ship!”

A man with a beard ran towards the Black Hunter and carried the old man’s body.

“What are you doing?”

Rex asked the Black Hunter who was carrying Tottowi. The Black Hunter only signaled him to hurry and move.

As the ship slowly sank into the ocean, in Spain, a letter arrived for the King.

(READ THE PICTURE OF THE LETTER ABOVE)

King Alfonso of Spain and King Leonard VIII of England has long since been friends. Long before the war of France, they fought together in the African islands. The empire of Russia wanted to conquer Africa but it was already in the hands of England. Due to an epidemic spreading in the British isles at the time, it was hard for them to build an army that could defend the area, this is how Spain came to help them with the condition that England will open their docks to trade goods.

Both the King’s were only young princes at the age of nineteen when they had a taste of their first battle and their first taste of victory. Because of the hot temperature in Africa, it helped in making Russians fall back. They could not withstand the climate. Many soldiers died of heat since they have no knowledge of where to get supplies of water. The British and Spanish on the other hand had the help of the Africans.

“It is heartwarming that King Leonard would postpone his duties just to come here isn’t it Alfonso?”

An old woman with visible shades of black under her eyes said softly to the King as she holds his hands. The King on the other hand was thinking of something else. He had a serious look on his face; his eyes were red from crying, his old eyebrows were becoming one. His anger is written all over his face.

“I will kill the murderer with my own hands. I will crush him until he begs me to stop. Isabella, forgive me but I cannot think of anything but vengeance.”

The old woman who is the Queen of Spain wore a sad face as she looks at her dear husband. She had never seen him like this and she knows that something dreadful will come of it.