Chapter 2

Living In Your Shadow

Junsu's POV (11 Years Old)

“Yah...Jongrin,” Hyukjae shouted. “How many times do I have to tell you that you have to twist first then do that,” he corrected Jongrin.

“Oh yeah... Sorry Hyuk. I forgot,” Jongrin apologized.

Hyukjae, Jongrin and I made our own dance group called SRD. We call ourselves SRD because it stands for Song, Rap and Dance. We are practicing for the annual talent show at school.

“Let’s try it again. Don’t forget okay Jongrin,” I reminded him.

“Kiddies...” umma called. “Why don’t you take a break first and then continue. Have some snacks,” umma continued.

When umma came in with snacks, Junho hyung entered the living room as well.

“Come on... take a break. You guys are doing well,” umma said. “Have some snacks,” she repeated.

My mom put the snacks on the coffee table that we put on the side. The coffee table was put aside so that we could have more space to dance that was in front of the mirror.

Hyukjae, Jongrin and I didn’t refuse and started to gather around the coffee table and began to eat.

“Thanks auntie,” Jongrin said.

“You’re the best auntie...thanks,” Eunhyuk said.

Hyukjae and Jongrin are my best friends. They come here often that they consider my mom as their second mom or something like that and call her auntie. They’re my best friends and consider them as my brothers. 

Umma smiled at us and said, “You’re welcome. Eat a lot okay? Eat a lot so you guys would have the energy to practice. I have to do some laundry so after you eat, just leave it in the sink. Junho, why don’t you stay here and play with them?”

Junho hyung was beside umma and nod. Umma left and Junho hyung sat next to Eunhyuk.

“After eating, we have to practice again. We have to get it right this time with no mistakes,” Hyukjae said. It sort of felt that the last comment was meant for Jongrin though.

Even though Hyukjae loves Jongrin as his own brother, if it has anything to do with dancing; Hyukjae’s serious. He doesn’t joke with it and wants everything to be perfect. He’s really good at dancing though. Out of the three of us, he’s the best one. Well... I guess we’re tied because I’m as good as Hyukjae but he’s the one who makes the dance moves. I sometimes help him make the moves but he’s better at it.

“You guys are getting better. Why don’t you take an hour break and play basketball or something,” Junho hyung suggested.

“We’re nowhere close to being perfect yet. We have to practice until the talent show Jun. We have to be perfect,” Hyukjae explained to Junho hyung.

Jongrin finished eating the piece of snack he was eating and said, “Don’t mind Hyuk, Jun... You know how he is when it comes to dancing, remember? He becomes a dancing freak.”

Jongrin laughed at his own joke which made me laugh with him.

Hyukjae hyung got mad and said, “Yah... I’m not a dancing freak. You’re the one who can’t even get some simple dance moves. Who gets this and this mixed up?”

Hyukjae and Jongrin began to have an argument and began showing each other who the bigger freak was.

I feel bad watching them argue over the simplest things, but it is funny watching them fight.

“Yah... guys... stop fighting. You know how ridiculous you guys look?” I asked them as I tried to break them apart. “Hyuk... why are you being too serious about this? It’s just a school competition, it’s not like we’re getting scouted for this or something. And you... Jongrin, try to pay attention and get the move right because you know how Hyukjae gets,” I explained and they just looked at me. Hey... at least they aren’t fighting anymore.

“Yah... Junsu... since when did you stop calling us hyung. We’re older than you,” Hyukjae said.

“You guys are only older than me by a few months,” I argued in which they glared at me for. “... Hyung,” I added.

After a few minutes, we burst out laughing at nothing but at how ridiculous we were.

“So this is how you guys practice huh?” Junho hyung asked in between his fits of laughter.

“Yup...” I answered. “The Hyukjae and Jongrin that you know are far from the real them,” I added in which I got a punch from both Hyukjae and Jongrin on both side of my arms.

“Yah...” I exclaimed in which was returned by a smirk by both of them.

“Whatever... after you guys practice, let’s play basketball okay?” Junho hyung asked them.

“Okay...” I started to say.

I was interrupted by Hyukjae who said, “Sorry Jun. We were going to practice until my mom picks Jongrin and me.”

“Sorry Jun,” Jongrin apologized as well.

“Here comes the dancing freak...” I said teasingly in which I got slapped for. “Sorry...” I quickly said before Hyukjae slaps me again.

I stayed silent for a while until Jongrin said, “Why don’t you join SRD Jun?”

“Yeah... you should hyung. It’s really fun,” I encouraged him.

“Is it okay if I do?” Junho hyung asked.

“Of course it is. Besides we’re just doing it for fun right?” I continued.

We finished eating and were showing Jongrin hyung the dance moves.

After an hour of showing Junho hyung the dance moves, he was good enough that he even did better than Jongrin.

We continued to practice until we got tired and Hyukjae’s mom already called saying that she was on her way to pick up Hyukjae and Jongrin hyung. We began to put the coffee table back and put back the furniture to where it was before.

After a few minutes of cleaning up, we still had time before Hyukjae’s mom arrived, so we sat down on the floor as I went to the kitchen and grabbed 4 glasses and a pitcher of water.

They said their thanks and we just drank the glass of water as if we haven’t drank anything in ages.  After a few moments of catching our breaths and drinking water, Hyukjae said, “Wow... I can’t believe you’re good at dancing too Junho. I guess it runs in your genes. You already know all the steps and are better than Jongrin who still can’t get the move right.”

“Yah... I’m getting better okay? It’s just too hard,” Jongrin complained.

“Guys... please don’t start. I’m too tired to break up your argument,” I complained.

“What argument? We’re not arguing, we’re having a friendly discussion,” Hyukjae insisted.

Jongrin nodded in agreement until we heard 3 quick honks which signify that Hyukjae’s mom is already here to pick them up.

They got up and grabbed their stuff. Jongrin and Hyukjae head towards the door while Junho hyung and I went to the door and said our goodbye.

“See you tomorrow,” I said as I waved goodbye.

I saw them wave back at us.

“Bye guys,” Junho hyung said and they waved back to us again.

They reached Hyukjae’s car and soon, the car sped away from our backyard.


A/N: I'm sorry for the really late update. I was thinking about giving up this fic but decided to continue this because it's not fair to those people who like reading this. I will continue and finish this fic but I don't know how long it is though. It may be a short story or long story, it just depends on how it goes but I will finish this.

P.S. This Hyukjae is Suju Hyukjae. I didn't name him Eunhyuk yet because they're just kids and they don't have stage names yet. Also, I read in Wikipedia that Hyukjae and Junsu made a group in elementary called SRD, so I used that fact and made this. It also mentions how they were in a group of three but I don't know who the third person is so I used the OC Jongrin and plus I don't want to leave Junho behind, so I made them have 4 members instead of 3. Sorry for rambling. Don't forget to comment/subscribe and give me feedback. It's okay if you give me bad feedback. I don't bite. I'll take it as criticism to help me get better so feel free to say what you didn't like so I can improve. Anyways... sorry again for rambling.