Chapter 1

Living In Your Shadow

(6 years old)

“Hyung...hyung,” I heard someone call. I let out a small sound of protest. “Hyung... wake up. It’s time for school. It’s our first day,” I heard him shout in excitement.

I didn’t move. I covered myself under the covers and continued to sleep.

“Hhhyyyuuunnnggg... come on! Wake up already,” I heard him whine.

“Stop acting like a baby. I’m telling umma you’re acting like a baby again. I’m also going to tell her you’re being disrespectful to me,” I warned him.

“Fine, tell her. If you tell her, I’ll tell umma that you hit me yesterday,” Junsu said. He finally got off my bed. “Umma...umma,” I heard Junsu call our mom.

“Fine...fine... I’m up. Don't tell her. You are such a baby,” I said. I got up and rubbed my eyes to try and wake up.

I saw him smile widely and said, “Okay. Umma said were leaving soon and that we’re going to school today.”

(7 years old)

“Happy Birthday Junho,” umma said giving me a warm smile. She gave me a hug. She then turned sideways and said, “Happy Birthday Junsu.” She greeted Junsu with the same warm smile she gave me.

I looked around to check where appa was until I heard his voice coming from near the door. Appa was standing by the doorway holding a cake.

“Happy Birthday boys,” appa said smiling as he walked towards us with the cake he’s carrying.

“Apppaaa...” Junsu was whining. “Why do we always share a cake? We’re two different people you know? That’s not fair,” Junsu was whining.

I just looked at him and said under my breath, “What a baby.”

Appa just looked at Junsu and said smiling, “Yeah... I know. You said that last year so this year there’s two cakes, I just don’t have enough hands to carry both of them. Hold on okay Junsu?”

I looked at Junsu and he was smiling really wide, looking at appa who went back to the kitchen and got the other cake.

“Did you hear hyung? We don’t have to share our cake?” Junsu said loudly.

Umma looked at me and hugged me. “Happy Birthday Junho,” umma said giving me a huge smile on her face.

(8 years old)

We were at the department store with umma. Junsu was sitting on the shopping cart and I was walking beside umma holding her hands.

“Ummmaaa... can I please get a toy?” Junsu said to umma. Junsu was giving umma the puppy dog eye look.

“You already have a lot of toys Junsu,” umma said.

I tugged on umma’s pants to get her attention, “Umma...umma.”

Umma looked at me and I heard Junsu scream umma at the back whining for her attention again. Umma ignored Junsu’s complains and kneeled down so she can look at me in the eyes, “Yes...Junho?”

“Umma...can I sit on the cart now?” I asked her.

“No...I got here first,” Junsu complained and was now looking at me badly.

“Umma please,” I asked umma, ignoring Junsu’s protest.

Umma let out a long sigh and said, “How about later Junho? I promise.”

I nod my head and I saw Junsu stick his tongue out at me.

“Umma... can I please get a toy,” I heard Junsu ask umma again.

I heard umma let out a sigh again and said, “Alright Junsu... You get to pick one toy okay? Just pick one Junsu.”

“Thanks umma,” Junsu squealed loudly stretching out his arms for umma. When umma came closer to him, Junsu gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “You’re the best,” he said as he asked umma to put him down on the floor so he can choose the toy.

Umma bent down on her knees again and asked, “Do you want to sit on the cart now Junho?”

“It’s okay umma. Can I pick a toy too?” I asked her.

“How about you share the toy with Junsu and I’ll buy you one next time? I still have to buy a lot of things,” umma explained.

I copied Junsu and did the puppy dog eyes, “Please umma?”

“Next time okay? Do you want to sit?” umma asked me and I shook my head. I walked beside umma as we head towards the toy section where my twin brother was getting a toy and I wasn’t.

(9 years old)

One of my best friends, Jongrin came over and we were watching the television together. We were watching and I saw Junsu go towards the couch and sit there.

“Hi hyung... hi Jongrin,” he greeted me and my friend.

“Hi Junsu,” Jongrin replied giving Junsu a smile.

“Can I play with you guys? I’m bored,” Junsu said. “Please? Please...please...please hyung...Jongrin?” he asked us.

“No... He’s my best friend,” I told him.

“It’s okay... besides we’re friends too,” Jongrin said.

“Really,” I saw Junsu’s eyes light up. “Yay, we can play together... the three of us right?” he asked Jongrin.

I looked at Jongrin and he just smiled and nods his head.

I rolled my eyes and went to our room to get a game we could play. Why can’t you just play by yourself or have your own friends over?

(10 years old)

“Umma...umma, guess what?” I asked her with a huge smile on my face.

We just got home from school and we just got our report cards.

Umma approached me and said, “Oh... my. My Junho is getting taller that I don’t have to kneel to talk to you. What is it baby?”

I handed her my report card and showed her how I almost got all A’s except for 4 subjects.

“Wow... my baby is so smart! I’m so proud of you Junho,” umma said as she praised my good grades. “This calls for a celebration isn’t it? How about we go out and get some ice cream?” umma said as she continued to praise me.

 I nod my head and smiled in agreement. “Okay,” I said loudly.

She kissed my forehead and said again, “I’m proud of you baby. Let’s go.”

“Umma...umma,” I heard Junsu scream.

“Yes baby, I’m here. There’s no need to yell,” umma said when Junsu was screaming. “Did you get your report card as well?” umma continued.

“Deh... look umma. I got all A’s,” Junsu said as she gave his report card to umma and I just stood there looking at them.

“Really? Let me see,” umma looked at Junsu’s report card and her smile grew as she saw it. “I’m proud of you Junsu. My boys are really smart. I wonder where they got it from,” umma said giving both Junsu and I a hug.

“I have a higher mark than hyung though,” Junsu said as his smile grew bigger.

“Junsu... that doesn’t matter. As long as you two are doing well, it doesn’t matter who has a higher grade. I’m proud of both of you,” umma said as she tightened her hug around both Junsu and I.

I just kept silent and hugged umma back. Why does he have to always beat me and be better than me in everything?