ix | Master is gone and so is the clan, and we are leaving

The Tattoo of the Mafia [remake]

 

The vibration of Hyehee’s phone woke her up; she was alone on the bed again. She turned over, hand stretched for her phone. Hyehee squinted at the caller and the time, it was almost 11am.

              ”Key oppa?” she breathed, rubbing her eyes and sitting up. “Is Taemin with you?

              Hyehee looked around the room, the washroom was not occupied and Taemin was nowhere to be found. “No,” she answered. “I couldn’t find him the whole morning. Let me know when he’s back.” and key hung up without saying bye, which wasn’t what he usually does.

              She blank out for a moment before calling Taemin on his cell, but the call got diverted into voice mail as long as it got through. “Hyehee?” Jonghyun was outside the room when Hyehee heard his voice. She got up immediately and went over to the door. “Have you seen Taemin?”

              “Erm,” Hyehee leaned against the door with a baffled expression, “why is everyone looking for him? No, I can’t seem to get through him too.”

              “Who?”

              The both of them snapped their heads towards the corner when Taemin appeared. “Looking for who?” he asked again.

              “My God, Taem,” Jonghyun quickly went over to him. “Where the have you been? Everyone is looking for you for the whole morning.”

              “I was out,” Taemin replied as if it was nothing. “But why?”

              “Master passed away.” Jonghyun said, and Hyehee walked over to them as well. She held a hand to to cover the gasp she almost let out.  For a second, Taemin thought he didn’t hear it clearly the first time, but he doesn’t want to hear it the second time.

              “…didn’t you say he was out of danger?” Taemin questioned; a little blank in the mind.

              “He’s old, Taem, anything can happen.”

              Key appeared rather angry and hostile when he joins in the conversation. He received the call from the hospital at 5am in the morning and he already couldn’t find Taemin anywhere. Jonghyun and him went to the hospital first before Jonghyun came back to see if he could find him while Key stayed back. Until a while ago that Key decided to hunt for Taemin himself.

              “He passed away in the morning; he couldn’t make it till I reach the hospital.” Key said. “Why didn’t you call me since you can’t find me anywhere?” Taemin retorted. “And you think we didn’t?” Jonghyun answered.

              Taemin was speechless for a while; before he slides his phone out from his back pocket that he realized it was dead. “.” He cursed, not looking up.

              “I’m so disappointed in you, Lee Taemin.” It was the first time that Hyehee heard Key speaking in that tone, and it scares her a bit. She watched as Key walked away into his room, shoulder knocking into Taemin’s while passing by him. The latter fall two steps back from the impact.

              Jonghyun sighed. “Forgive him, he was indebted to master for taking him in in the past. He was like his own grandfather.”

              “And that’s why he was mad at me, the legitimate grandson that has his blood.” Taemin covered his face with his hands as he closed his eyes. Blaming himself at how up till now, he still hasn’t greeted master as grandfather yet; he did not even have the thought to visit him when all he could think of is Choi Siwon.

              I haven’t even properly greeted him…

              “Taem, if you realized already, it’s not too late. You know that there’s another important person of yours, who’s fighting to live right now.” Jonghyun casually mentioned, before giving Taemin a pat on the shoulder.

              Hyehee watched as Jonghyun made his way back downstairs. When she diverted her attention back at Taemin, he was already walking back to his room. She sighed, following him.

              Taemin went straight to the bed and sat with his back against the bed frame. He stares ahead and Hyehee came to him after closing the door. “Oppa,” she called out to him, crawling onto the bed and beside him. She wanted to ask if he’s fine but that obviously is a stupid question for someone who just found out their close one passed away.

              “It’s funny how I don’t feel sad when I know my grandfather passed away,” Taemin said and he paused with a frown, the kind of frown you make when you know you’re going to cry. “But instead, I felt sad because master passed away.”

              Hyehee took a deep breath when she saw how Taemin was holding himself in, “hey…” she shifted herself and took Taemin’s head with her hand, gently letting him lean on her shoulder. “It’s fine, it’s alright to cry.” She hushed softly, his hair.

 

“Welcome to the family, Taemin.” the old man smiled, showing the newcomer Taemin around the house. “These people will be with you too, Jonghyun and Key.”

              It was the first time Taemin sees them; and the both of them were giving Taemin a frown, wondering what a skinny fellow like him are doing in Phoenix’s.

 

Taemin squeezed his eyes shut as he raised his arms up and circled Hyehee.

 

“You’re doing well, Taemin.” Master said as he watched him fired the gun, hitting the center of the target board. “Of course, look how he change over just one year span, the skinny and malnourished-looking boy was long gone.” Key laughed. “He’s almost the best now.” Jonghyun continued with a smile.

 

He hugged her tightly, as if letting her go would be the end for him.

 

“My one and only beautiful daughter…my only hope to live on when my wife died…for a moment I blamed myself for forcing her but everything was too late. I have to find her child and keep them by my side because they’re the only one left that had my blood running.”

              Taemin cringed at the word of blood. He his dried lips and stared ahead.

              “Taemin, you’re my grandson.” Master concluded.

 

“I haven’t got to greet him… I haven’t called him grandfather yet.” Taemin’s voice came out muffled against Hyehee’s shoulder; tears were running out from his eyes and his body was slightly trembling. “I’ve… so many chances… but I didn’t…” he choked.

              Hyehee arched her back slightly because Taemin was holding her so tightly against him. She was almost embarrassed at how close they were, even though Taemin has always hugged her to sleep but was never this close. He was literally breathing on her skin now and being this close with him, she suddenly recalled of the kiss they shared the day before.

              There was totally no gap between the both of them, making Hyehee slightly flushed. , I shouldn’t be embarrassed at this timing. She thought, shaking her head to get rid of those indecent thoughts.

              “Oppa…” she called out but it turns out into a light moan because that’s how hard Taemin was holding her. He immediately let go of her after realizing that, letting out a small laugh. “I’m sorry.”

              Hyehee took a breath before leaning in towards him, “it’s fine, I’m glad you find comfort in me. Tae oppa.” She whispered softly with her hand on his cheek and wiping away his tears.

              Taemin looked into her eyes as he took her hand, and kissed it with his eyes close. “Thank you for being with me all these time. I know it’s difficult.”

              Hyehee shook her head, giving him a reassuring smile.

              Taemin blinked, rubbing away the tear stain on his face with the back of his hands before circling Hyehee in his arms again.

              “Oppa… why did you empty the gun cylinder?” she asked. It was a question that she wanted to ask but she can’t find the right chance yesterday. “What do you think?” he questioned her back.

              “Because he’s your father?”

              Taemin closed his eyes, not replying her.

              “You heard what Jonghyun oppa said.”

              “Taem, if you realized already, it’s not too late. You know that there’s another important person of yours, who’s fighting to live right now.”

 

 

Key smirked, “One after another.”

              ”Key,” Jonghyun hissed, “please,” he said. “We are here to make things better. Phoenix is falling apart because master is gone and Taemin is here to help.”

              “Then where is he when master died?” Key asked, still folding his arms in his seat. Taemin his dried lips. “I know it’s wrong of me.”

              “Where did you go in the morning?” Key raised his brow, still sounding hostile, and Jonghyun was waiting for Taemin’s answer too.

              The latter his lips again as he swallowed. Key watched as Taemin’s adam apple goes up and down. “So you have got no intention to reply,” Key snickered, standing up and leaving the study room.

              “I’m leaving,” Taemin’s words made Key stopped in his tracks.

              “I’m leaving with Hyehee next week, to California.”

              Both Key and Jonghyun were stunned; they didn’t really expect Taemin to leave after all these. “I’ve gathered the leaders from different mafia groups that work with us. Considering that I’m master’s grandson, please allow me to disband this clan.” Taemin said as he stood up. “Go to the basement with me for the last time, and lend me your support.”

              He did a 90 degree bow as Key turned back around.

 

 

It was a well-known rule in the mafia world that to attend any of the group leaders meetings, you’ll have to dress up; and for the three men, it was an easy job.

              ”You all looked incredibly dashing.” Hyehee smiled as they waited for the lift. “You too, lady,” Key commented at her body fitting tube dress, it was a dress that Key picked out for her when they bring her out for a makeover. It wasn’t very necessary, but just for the fun of it.

               Taemin looked at himself in the reflection of the lift’s door; he was wearing a black suit with his hair spiked up. He adjusted his hair for a bit, while taking a peek at Hyehee’s reflection. It was the first time that he sees Hyehee dresses up, and truth to be told, she look drop-dead gorgeous, at least in his eyes.

              Jonghyun saw the way Taemin couldn’t take his eyes off Hyehee’s reflection, for a moment he felt a bit dazed but the lift came, breaking their inner thoughts.

              “For the last time,” Taemin said, pressing his thumb on the level one button and scanning his fingerprint. As usual, the lights turned dim and the lift started to go down. “It’s going to be a bit overwhelming, stay close with us. Okay?” Taemin instructed Hyehee and she nodded.

              The door opened and unlike the first time that she came, the empty space in the middle was filled with a long table with high-profile looking people sitting around it. She followed as Taemin walked out of the lift. Many of the Phoenix’s underlings were surrounding the area too.

              “So he’s the one.”

              “Never thought he is the grandson.”

              “He’s so young, how is he going to manage?”

              “Phoenix is going down.”

              All these words went into their ears as they passed by. Taemin ignored everyone and went to the seat where master always takes, but just when he was about to sit down, one of the seated ones stood up and shouted.

              “Who said you could sit there!”

              “Hey hey… Mr. Ash, calm down.” Key speaks up, his tone different from the usual and that made Hyehee nervous. How different are these guys when they are serious?

              “As the grandson of Phoenix’s clan, are you telling me that I can’t sit here?” Taemin gave Mr. Ash an intimidating look, “or I supposed you’re interested in taking this seat?”

              Mr. Ash looked around, other leaders weren’t talking and no one is looking at him, he sat down quietly.

              Taemin let out a sigh, he his blazer as he sat down with Key and Jonghyun standing either side of him. Hyehee was behind Jonghyun until he pushed her lightly at her waist to go behind Taemin’s chair.

              “I guess you all heard that the agenda of this meeting is to disband the clan.” Taemin started.

              One lady stood up almost immediately. Hyehee watched as she smiled with inviting eyes and rosy lips, long wavy brown hair and soft glowing skin even in the dimly-lighted basement. She wore a black dress that hugged her body well, showing off her rounded chest and bottom. Hyehee lowered her head and took a look at her own chest. It was nowhere near.

              “And I guess you’re kidding right?” she sat on the table with her leg crossed, openly seducing Taemin as she crossed her arms, further exposing her s and squeezing them to form a deeper cleavage. Taemin looked away in disgust but he noticed a few guys were looking at her with dirty eyes.

              He stood up as he took off his blazer, “Lady J,” he nodded his head as a form of respect, anyways; she was already the head when Taemin just joined. “I am not kidding.”

              When everyone thought that Taemin was going to give Lady J his blazer, he turned around and put the blazer around Hyehee.

              Lady J frowned; she got herself off the table and sat back down with her arms crossed.

              “One question, Mr.… Taemin?” another leader spoke up. “I’m sorry I don’t know how to address you, you seemed too young for me to greet you but since you’re sitting at that seat, I supposed I can’t speak impolitely to you?”

              Taemin waved his hand, “enough of the bull, straight to the point please, Leader Kim.”

              Leader Kim felt a flush across his face when Taemin just wave off what he said. He looked around and people were laughing at him. He took a breath, “I heard you’ve got a dragon tattoo. May I boldly ask if you’re a Phoenix’s or a Dragon’s?”

              That question caught Taemin off guard. Everyone started discussing among themselves and Jonghyun slammed on the table. “Does it matter what tattoo he has got? Taemin is from the Phoenix’s and he’s master grandson, you can’t change blood can you?”

              “Who knows some of you here have dragon tattoos too?” Key continued.

              “Key, all of us are here today because we are bonded with the Phoenix’s, which means the Dragon Clan is our enemy. How could we believe someone who has the dragon tattoo on him?” Mr. Ash said.

              With a small laugh, Taemin looked at him. “Enemy?” he tilted his head a little, giving Mr. Ash a stare. “Hyehee, there are envelopes in the pocket, take it out.” He said.

              Hyehee’s eyes widen at his command. She did as she was told and found envelopes inside the pocket of Taemin’s blazer. “Here,” she said, placing it on the table.

              “Every single one of you here betrayed the Phoenix’s at some point in your path. As for you, Mr. Ash,” he diverted his attention on him while taking one of the envelopes and opening it. Photos of Mr. Ash and Choi Siwon happily having high tea together were disclosed. “Did you say something… you can’t trust me because I have a dragon tattoo?” Taemin narrowed his eyes at him.

              Jonghyun and Key were equally surprised at Taemin’s discovery but was also shock to find out that no one is really loyal.

              “You checked on me?” Mr. Ash questioned loudly. “I don’t have to if you’re trustworthy enough. Who knows if master is actually aware of it but he just didn’t want to make a noise. But please understand I’m not as soft-hearted as he is.”

              “From the start I didn’t want to expose all these dirty things. Since you all don’t want to cooperate with me, I don’t mind disclosing one by one to make all of you speechless. Now, who’s next?” Taemin asked with a small smile, his hands fondling with the envelopes as he random picked one. “Ah, Lady J.”

              She stood up abruptly, and Taemin watched as she takes her purse and left.

              He leaned back against his seat, “If there’s no objection, Phoenix’s clan is disbanding.” He announced, and after minutes goes by, one by one, the leaders left.

              Hyehee was still stunned by the tensed atmosphere, at some moment she even forgot to breathe because of how overwhelming it is. So this is the mafia world, where one has to be cruel to get what they want, where one has to be strong and powerful so that they are able to stand above all. And Lee Taemin certainly is someone where everyone should be afraid of.

              When the basement was only left with the Phoenix’s people, Taemin heaved a sigh. “So this is why you’ve been using the laptop a lot lately? Not learning how to take over the financial group but stalking people?” Key questioned, walking over to one of the seats and sat down.

              “Of course I was reading up on the financial group, analyzing the data and all. But I also liaise with a friend of mine from the MIS.” Taemin leaned back against the seat, urging Hyehee to take a seat too.

              “MIS?” Jonghyun raised a bow, taking the seat next to Hyehee. “Military Intelligence of Seoul?”

              “Yeah,” Taemin smiled, remembering the time where Jonghyun was casually telling him how one day if the clan is disband, he will join the MIS because he would like to be a licensed killer.

              “What about L-Phoenix?” Key brought up.

              “Why don’t you take over it?” Taemin looked at him. “…what?” Key hung his mouth open. “You’re not kidding, aren’t you?”

              “I’m not laughing.”

              Key shook his head and looked away, but Taemin knew that Key has always been interested in the financial world. And for the rest of the day, the four of them just sat there reminiscing the old times; although Hyehee mostly was just listening but that’s how she come to know better of their past.