Chapter One: Awkward Is My Middle Name

Perfume

Amber's POV :

I dont see anything wrong with it, being one of the guys. I prefer the complete opposite of what girls are wearing, or what they do in their free time. People talk, but I don't mind , because I know it's true. I'm gay and dress like a boy. People like my mother were shocked, and were forced to try and cope. But people like my good friend Heechul understood, because he's like me too. We manage to have fun. But in  school it's a different story. It's difficult to be open about our uality because of how Christian based NamKung Academy is. Sending me to such a school was my Mother's one mistake. I can't avoid a girls' uniform, but it does keep people from raising eyebrows..

 

  "Amber, wake up!" Heechul yelled in my ear. "Hmm? Oh !" I said coming around," I fell asleep in class again!" Heechul nodded, " Hurry up, or we're gonna be late for 6th period." Nearly falling out of my chair, I rushed to collect my things. Heechul began walking out the door as  I trailed behind him , shoving a book into my backpack. "You missed alot," he said laughing at how frazzled I looked, " We're having a test on Thursday. It's going to be worth 70% of our grade." "CHINCHA?? Listen man, I need to borrow your notes again, please?" He sighed and looked on me with a dissapointed expression. I pulled on his sleave," Please, you know I haven't been sleeping well , and thats why I keep passing out in class!" "The only reason you're up all night is because your  talking to that girl on Facebook." "Shut up," I said punching his arm. "Why?" he smiled, " It's true." I brushed a strand of hair from my face.

  "So, what's that girl's name again? I know she's in this period with us." "Soo Ji," I said, " Bae Soo Ji." "Ahh. She must be cute, eh?" "Be quiet," I snapped," We're just friends, and shes not that cute." "Pardon me for asking then." Suddenly, we saw Choi SeungHyun come around the corner. He eyed us as we passed by him in silence. As soon as he had gone, Heechul came to life. "OMO, he's so handsome!" he shrieked in joy. "Aish," I said shaking my head,"  why do you have to be so crazy." "Oh, shush," Heechul said slapping my arm," A boy can't dream?" "Not about SeungHyun," I laughed, " You know he's with JinRi?" "He's sleeping with THAT ?" Heechul said in disbelief.  I nodded. " I swear, " he said, " After she decides to dump him, he's going to wish he never turned THIS down." He posed for me. I giggled," I don't know why you're not a model, you're such a natural." "Well, I do happen to do some in my free time," he said as he went into a strut. "Very funny," I said walking toward the entrance of the locker room. "Well, I guess I'll see your pretty face later." He winked at me, then dissapeared into the boy's locker room. 

  I always hated the locker room, specifically because of the number of girls who were undressing right in front of me. It was awkward, REALLY awkward. I just tried to ignore everyone around me as I got dressed for P.E. I set my bag down and proceeded to open my locker. The musty smell from inside was enough to convince me not to dress for class. Retreiving my P.E shirt, I smoothed out the wrinkles, then set it down. I could feel my face getting red as I took off my uniform. "Please God , tell me there isn't anyone watching," I said to myself. I quickly glanced around the room. All the other girls were busy getting their P.E clothes on. "Whew" "Hey there Amber, " a voice said from behind me. I tensed up. "JinRI" "Ready for P.E today?" She giggled as she patted my . "UH~" I hurried putting my shirt on and looked to see where she had gone. I sat down on a bench. "God Dammit, " I whispered burying my face in my hands, " That was the most embarassing thing that's happened this week." I exhale, trying to get myself together. "Hurry up girls!" I heard Mr. Yejin say from outside," I'm locking up." I stood up and hurried in tieing my sneakers. Jamming my backback in, I slam my locker shut and put the lock back on. Then I ran out to the track. 

"Alright ladies and gentlemen," Mr. Yejin addressed the class, " Today's main focus will be on strength training. Therefore you will be working with a partner doing pushups, situps, and stretching excercises." I turned to Heechul, who was sitting next to me on the grass. "Wanna be partner's?" "Uhm, are you blind?" he said." The answer will always be yes." I smiled as he punched my arm playfully. " So, " Mr. Yejin continued," before all of you choose partners and start, I'll need someone to help do a demonstration." "I'll do it," Heechul said with a pleasant smile. " Come up here please." I watched Heechul as he stood up and walked to the opening where Mr. Yejin was standing. Heechul got down into a pushup position as Mr. Yejin began to explain. "Pay attention to your partner's form," he started," The back cannot be bent, and palms should be flat on the ground." Mr. Yejin ajusted Heechul until his form was correct. I could tell he was slightly uncomfortable. He then proceeded to explain proper form for the situp, when someone caught my eye. I turned when I saw Bae Soo Ji. She was far from where I was sitting, but I could've spotted her in a crowd of a thousand people. She was sitting by Choi Siwon, also known in the school for being Student Body President. They were talking, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Lip reading wasn't natural for me either, So I didn't think much of it. She laughed, I figured from something Siwon had said to her. She looked pretty when she laughed, I couldn't deny. More than that, she looked pretty everyday, every hour, every second. I couldn't help but smile a little, still gazing at her. "Alright everyone choose your partners and get going!" I snapped out of it, and came back to the situation at  hand. Heechul walked over. "Well, let's get started partner." 

  I laid down on the grass, and Heechul held onto my feet, making sure they  didn't move during our practice. I started. "One," Heechul said. "Do you know anything about Siwon?" I asked him. Heechul looked over at him on other side of the field. "No, not really. All I know is that he's the President, has killer grades and comes from a wealthy family. Two."  I turn my head. Siwon was helping Soo Ji do her situps. "I wonder if they're dating." "I wouldn't be suprised if they were," Heechul added," Three." I fell to the ground, already exhausted. " Quitter, " He scoffed.  "Shut up," I said panting. "No wonder you're so out of shape, " he said standing , " All you do is sit at a computer IMing." He helped me up. "Not all the time." "Anyways, my turn." Heechul said. I held onto his feet as he started. "One."  I glanced over at Soo Ji again. She seemed to be having a fun time with Siwon. "Two." Heechul said in place of my absence. Her dark brown hair reflected in the sunlight as she moved. "Three." Her eyes seemed to light up when she smiled. "She's so pretty," I said softly. "Four. Amber, are you going to help me do situps , or are you just going to continue drooling over her."

I snapped back to reality. "Hmm?" Heechul sighed. "You're hopeless," he said falling to the ground. "Sorry. " I bit my lip. "You can say sorry after you treat me to some icecream." "No way!" He put his arms behind his head and smiled. " Then what will you do."  I thought for a moment, " You can come over tonight. I've got icecream in the freezer, you can have that." "Not exactly what I was expecting, " he said, " But it'll do."  I glared at him ," Aish, why do I even put up with you all the time?"  He stood up, " Because you love me. It's obvious." I punched him. "Omo, don't look now, but she's coming this way." "Wait, What?!?" Heechul made a quick escape and left me there as Soo Ji walked over. "Hi," she said softly as she stood next to me. "Oh hey." "Having fun?" she asked. "Pssh, No. Strength training is never fun if you ask me." She laughed," Same here. So I assume you'll be online tonight?" I scratched my head, " Yea, yea of course." A big smile appaeared on her face, " Great."  "Alright class, you all worked well today." Everyone began heading in. "So, I'll talk to you later then," she said starting to head back. "Yup, I'll message you." She waved, then started walking. Heechul came back. "Ooh, so what's Ms. Wondergirl like?" he teased. "Shes awesome, the rest is none of your buisness!" I gave him a noogie. "Ow, Ow! Watch the hair!" He soon managed to get a grip on me, and threw me over his shoulder. I burst out laughing. "AMBER LIU, I DON'T KNOW WHY I PUT UP WITH YOU ALL THE TIME."  He carried me back in to the building. 

  "Wait for me outside, " I said to Heechul before I went back into the locker room. I kept my head down as I walked to my locker to get my stuff.  Pulling my backpack out, I closed the metal door of the locker, and clicked the lock shut. I didn't bother changing again. I had enough embarrassment for one day. Remembering Heechul was waiting, I hurried out of the locker room.  "Finally, I can go home," I said to myself.  Rushing out the door and down the steps of the school, I caught up with Heechul at his Camri. "Do you want me to drive?" I asked. "No, but thanks. I think your the one who needs to rest from all that hard work ," he said sarcastically. I glared at him as I got into his car. "So," Heechul said, " You never said what flavor of ice cream you had." I looked at him in disbelief. "Chincha..? You really are too much."  He smirked as he started the ignition. 

  Back at my house that evening , Heechul and I were up in my room browsing Facebook. " Ah~" Heechul said with a mouthful of strawberry icecream in his mouth, " That Soo Ji?" I nodded, clicking through the pictures. Suddenly, "Bwoh??" I found a picture of Soo Ji Posing with Siwon, SeungHyun, and JinRi. "Knew it ," Heechul blurted out, still digging into the carton of icecream, " she hangs out with them." " You don't know, so shush."  I  stared at the picture for a couple seconds. " Well I'm turning in," Heechul said, setting the icecream on my desk. He threw a blanket and a pilow on the floor, then came back over. "You should too." He turned off the monitor. "Fine, gosh." I got up from the chair and turned off the light. "You gunna do anything about her ?" Heechul asked me in the darkness. "I dunno," I said jumped into bed,  "Nite" "Nite" he said. Silence filled the room instantly. I turned over. "I don't know my own feelings yet."