13

Spirit

 

[a/n: Chen's 3rd person point of view, aw yeah.]
 
Chen, although it was midday, had lost himself in a pretty deep slumber.
 
When he had headed into the woods, he hadn't thought very clearly and acted upon pure instinct. This led him through a series of misfortunate events; leaving him exhausted, tired, and hungry.
 
An hour later, Chen woke up after getting stung by a rather large queen bee.
 
"I have such great luck," he mumbled to himself, stretching out his sleep-muddled limbs. Scratching out the bee's intolerable stinger, Chen crawled out from under his makeshift canopy which had been hastily crafted using banana leaves.
 
Chen used his outdoorsman skills to predict the time of day, kicked down his canopy, and gathered his belongings, leaving the area.
 
He wondered where you were. He wondered what happened to Kris. The worst thing of all was that he was a tad homesick.
 
He began walking aimlessly with the thought of his mother on his mind.
 
----------------
 
Soon, he reached a sparse clearing that seemed to spread on forever.
 
The clearing was home to a wide field of Oxeye Daisies and Wild Lupines; all scattered haphazardly around the vast space.
 
It brought a tear to his eye when he smelt the fragrant daisies. The smell was intoxicating; it invaded his senses and let him be blissfully ignorant for a while.
 
His mother had always smelled like daisies. Oh, how he missed home.
 
---------------
 
Although Chen was the sensitive type, he would never admit to being shy or too timid. It just wasn't his character.
 
Letting a reminiscent smile adorn his features, Chen laid down on a random spot in the field. The field was about up to his knee, so when he laid down, no one could see him. He was lucky it was autumn because the blistering heat would've swallowed him whole, had it not been.
 
Chen thought about life back home. He had been quite the studious child, with his father a crypto zoologist and his mother a popular Gynecologist.
 
His siblings, though, were a little different, nonetheless successful. His older brother was an idol, and his older sister had become a professional concert pianist.
 
Chen's full name was Kim Jongdae, but the nickname Chen stuck through the years because of his infamous trouble-maker best friend; Minseok.
 
Thinking back on it now, Chen remembered all of the sacrifices he made to start the journey to becoming a herbalist. When he entered 10th year, his social life basically diminished and his friends started drifting away from him. He hadn't regretted it though, albeit bitter every once in a while.
 
The thought process for Chen, apparently, was very time-consuming due to the fact that when he even bothered to look up, the sun signaled that it was about 3PM. He decided to tuck a single Oxeye Daisy into his pocket for safe keeping and then set off for some lunch.
 
Nearby, a calm waterfall resided, so Chen decided to pick some berries from the underbrush lining the cascade of water.
 
He spotted some Nightshade, and immediately cringed. He ended up going safe and choosing a couple blueberries from a levied bush.
 
He nearly screamed when something burst through the bush in which he was picking another round of berries in.
 
"Ouch." he grimaced in pain as he landed on his back with his wrist in an awkward position.
 
The amount of pain from the earlier bee sting seemed minuscule as it felt as if his arm was being torn apart.
 
A gust of air hit Chen like a brick and he felt a pair of arms embrace him. Looking up, he saw you hugging him in relief.
 
Although he couldn't understand what you were repeatedly saying, he knew that you were telling him not to run off again.
 
He hoped he wouldn't have to run away, anyway.