Chapter 3

"NOONA"

 

Two weeks later, it was the day of the highschool prom. I haven’t seen Taemin for two weeks after what happened.

I wore a black and fuchsia dress, and a diamond necklace and bracelet. As I finished putting make-up and fixing my hair, I looked at the mirror. I looked like a lady. It was my first time to wear that kind of outfit and make-up. Very far from the usual jeans and checkered top I used to wear.  I just felt like a princess from a fairy tale.

My fantasy faded when someone knocked at my room. I opened the door and I was surprised to see him. It was not my partner. It was Taemin. He was wearing a black suit with fuchsia long sleeves and pink tie inside. He was holding a bouquet of pink roses. Just perfect for my outfit.

“W..w..why are you here?” I said curiously. I was glad to see him. I actually missed him so much. Not seeing him for two weeks was like losing my coffee. He’s the one who makes me stay awake. I never felt sleepy when I’m with him.

“Noona, your mom asked me to be your date for tonight. She said that your prom date could not make it because he got flu. Didn’t she tell you earlier?” he said.

“Oh..r-really...” I was really shocked. But deep inside, I felt very happy. He really looked manly with his outfit.

“Don’t you want me to be your date?”

“Of course not. It’s just weird. I have a prom date who’s a mid-schooler. Haha. ”

“Are you ready? Let’s go now. Haha.” He said.

*****

At the hotel where the prom was held, the ambiance was really good. It was romantic and so as the music and the lights. At the middle of the crowd, Taemin and I were dancing while a romantic love song was being played.

“I forgot to tell you earlier...” Taemin said softly.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Noona, you are so pretty.” He told me while looking straight to my eyes. I blushed and smiled at him.

“Thanks. You look good tonight. Is this what you are doing for 2 weeks? Making you look better huh?”

“Hahaha.  Better? Now you’re saying I do look good before.” He said proudly.

“Aren’t you a little conceited? Haha.” I placed my arm over his shoulder and rubbed his hair as I usually do. Again, I noticed something. He even got taller now. He’s really growing up. Sighs.

“There’s one more thing I want to tell you...” He said sadly.

“What is it all about?” I have no idea.

“I’ll be leaving our place for quite a long time. I’ll be going to Seoul.” He said softly.

“B...B-but why?” I was really clueless.

“I got in.” He said.

“Where???”

“I auditioned at the S.M. Academy. I’ll be a lead dancer in a contemporary band!” He said. He’s not excited with his tone. He doesn’t look happy with what he said.

“Oh...co-congrats.” I smiled. But I can’t deny the fact that I got hurt. He’s going to be a celebrity. He would be away from me not just for a couple of days, weeks, or months...maybe a year? Or..forever...

“Yi Na...” He said while looking at me. He was teary eyed. I was shocked. That was the first time he called me by my first name. He used to call me noona. I can’t respond to what I just heard.

“Yi Na...” He repeated. That’s the time his words came in to me.

“Huh....?” I said softly. I was teary eyed but I tried hard not to cry.

“Do you want me to stay?” I was shocked when he said that. I can’t even remove my hands around his neck.

“What are you trying to say?” I asked curiously.

“Just say stay and I’ll do it.” He said. He seems to be a guy of the same age when he said that. He seems to be manly. A real grown-up. Definitely more matured than before.

“Don’t say that Taemin. Remember what I told you before? You should discover yourself. Now that you are given the opportunity to show the world what you’ve got, you should grab it! I also told you that your life doesn’t depend and revolve around me being your noona. So don’t make myself a hindrance for the fulfilment of your dreams. Even if you will be away from me, I will always be here for you. Forever and always....I will be your noona...”

I didn’t hear a single word from him.

After the prom, we decided to come to the studio where we used to practice dancing. He was still teary eyed, quiet, and thinking... I looked at him quietly.

“Taemin...” I said.

“I take you here because this might be the last time I’ll be here. I’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow.”

I didn’t say a word.

“Noona, I want you to have this.” He gave me a small box with a lock. There is no key.

“What’s this? Where’s the key?” I asked.

“The key is at the table in your room. I put it there before we left earlier.”

“So now what?” I said.

“I want you to promise me something.” He said.

“I’ll try. What is it?”

“Open that box the next time you see me. Can you promise that?”

“Sh-Sure. I’ll try.”

“Promise me.” He said eagerly.

“Okay. I promise.”

“Noona, I don’t want to see you before I leave. I might stay if you show up.”

“I will not... I want you to grow up being an independent. Be good there.”

“Noona, there’s one more thing...”

“What?”

“I..I love you. I love you not just as my noona. I love you more than that!...”

 I was shocked again when I heard that. All through these years, I thought he was just a young childish boy who wants her noona to be beside her. I was wrong. He is manly in his own way. His love is sincere...

“Taemin ah…I-I..love youtoo...” I said while walking on where he is. I stood in front of him, looked straight in his eyes as he looked at me too. My heart pumps faster and faster. I held my head up to reach him. He held my waist and gently touched my chin. I closed my eyes and so as he. Then, we kissed...