The Inhumane

Captured Silence

"Oh, you'll be fine. Don't worry about it." Ji Sun said, curling several strands of hair around the ear of his lover. "He's changed, I can promise you that. I saw it with my own two eyes."

Kyung Ae took a breath, still unsure of whether this sudden meeting really was a good idea or not. "I just- I know he's your brother and all, but really. He just came back from the facility. Shouldn't he get settled down and everything before we see him?"

He started to smile, cupping her cheeks with his broad hands. "Trust me on this one." He gently placed a peck on her forehead and snatched her hand, leading her to the man who hasn't made contact with them in ages: his own brother.

Ji Sun stopped in his tracks, ending up face to face with the brown-haired man. He eyed the two carefully, standing up from his chair and opting to hug the sibling he hasn't seen in so long.

"Hyung, I really missed you." he spoke softly, then turning to face the alert woman, hiding behind Ji Sun's tall and strong build. "Kyung Ae, it's nice to see you again." He let out a smile, though she wasn't too fond of giving one back in return.

"I'm really glad to see you again L. Joe. I know how hard it must've been, Mom and Dad dying from the crash. And... that type of incident having to happen right after."

The two brothers made their way to the dining room table, catching up on each other's lives after year of being unable to do so. They talked, they laughed, and they made an outcast out of Kyung Ae. She welcomed herself to the kitchen, deciding to get away and make dinner for everybody. She grabbed the apron off the rack on the oven, tying it around her waist. She took a few minutes looking around in the fridge, not bothering to listen in on the conversation, until one particular sentence caught her interest.

"She's not for you Hyung." Kyung Ae frowned, and walked closer, still in the mood to eavesdrop on their conversation. She walked towards the dining room's back wall, a strange unexplainable sensation reeling in on her. She just knew she had to be there, to witness what was happening.

"What do you mean? I thought you liked Kyung Ae."

"I do like her Hyung. But you know, back at the facility, one of the hardest challenges was directing my thoughts away from Mom and Dad-" L. Joe turned his head, facing Ji Sun. "-and to something else that would draw my attention away from the shock. Would you like to know what, exactly?"

Unintentionally, Ji Sun started to stutter. He was caught off guard, never seeing L. Joe like this before. He gave away a glare that could freeze anyone making contact, and the thought of that type of action working on him paralyzed the man. "W-What is th-that exactly.

He smiled. "I started taking pictures. You know, it was really entertaining, seeing the look on some random nurse's face. Every once in a while, they would have the look of fear. It just somehow energized me, seeing them uphold that look of fear whenever they did check-ups on some of the more dangerous patients." His expression soon started to falter, continuing on. "But I was always disappointed whenever I had a check-up. The nurse there would always be smiling, laughing, and having no care in the world as if I was no threat to them, as if I was unworthy to be feared of."

"L. Joe you're sca-"

"Hyung, I was really hurt, you know. I had to capture that image of their fear before it would disappear. Better yet, I needed someone to fear me."

"L. Joe, stop it."

"Hyung, you know you would be the perfect target, now that I think about it. You seem like the jumpy type, the kind of person who just seems so vulnerable. So easy to break down and just crush. How would it feel, having your own brother fear you? Hold an intentional grudge against yo-"

"STOP IT L. JOE. STOP IT!" Ji Sun started to back away, anxious by the sudden chills growing down his spine. He started to feel fear.

L. Joe grabbed a fork from the dining set sitting on the table. He stabbed Ji Sun's hand, a trickle of blood running down and streaming to the floor. He screamed in pain, backing away even further. He hit the wall, eyes wide open and able to see every unfortunate incident that was about to occur..

"Hyung, your expression really is just utter brilliance right now. Mind me taking a shot?" He started to grin, holding up the camera hidden underneath his black trench coat.

"L. Joe, what the hell is wrong with you?" Kyung Ae screamed, eyebrows furrowed. She ran over to Ji Sun's side and checked his palm. The front of it was stained red, his face becoming paler from the second. Her skin slowly traveled over to a sheer white color of snow. "Y-You monster. W-Why. Why would you hurt him? Why would you hurt family?"

But he just smiled.

"Do you know what I think of you, Kyung Ae? You're a very beautiful young woman, rather perfect if you ask me. Too perfect. My brother here doesn't deserve anyone of that type of perfection. We all know that by now. She's practically worthless trash waiting to be throw away. He's already crippled now!"

He tightened his grip on the fork, walking closer. Kyung Ae struggled to keep distance from him. "Stay away. Please. Stay away."

Tears started to form around the corner of her eyes, watching as Ji Sun haggardly took a sharp pang of breath. She was helpless, knowing all too well that L. Joe overpowered her both physically and mentally. 

He kneeled down on one leg, leaning towards the picture-perfect couple. "Such a pity. Your expression right now would be perfect to just capture on camera. But you'll have to hold in that face for now. I have to take care of this garbage here first."

He stabbed his brother's throat, laughing to himself as the man coughed up blood, heaving and gagging out excessively and with much trouble. Kyung Ae yelled out a sheer high-pitched scream, not knowing what else to do but scream for help. A single tear drop slid down her face as she bent down, listening to her lover's heartbeat. It was a slow, unsteady beat of a drum. And it stopped, seconds later.

"No. No. No. No. No. No. NO!" A rush of hot, angry tears slid down her face as she turned to a state of vulnerability. She shook Ji Sun's shoulder, opting for him to wake up and act as if nothing ever happened. As if he wasn't hurt at all. But she knew better than to hope for a dream that would be impossible to fulfill. She pounded onto his chest, and yelped out in pain. She tasted a mouthful of salty tears running down her jaw-line, as she spat, "You killed him. You killed him! You killed him L. Joe! YOU KILLED YOUR OWN BROTHER!"

But he didn't answer. Instead, she heard the sound of a loud snap. "You know, what's even better than the look of fear-" He harshly grasped at her face, cupping it between the palm of his hand. "-is the look of death." L. Joe held up his camera in triumph, cheekily smiling as always.


"Now.

 Smile."

 


-----------------------------------




"Wake up." L. Joe snapped, yelling out for the poor woman to pry her eyes out  and wide-open. "I said. Wake. Up." He gripped onto her hair and yanked, causing her eyes to shoot wide open. She yelped in pain.

"W-What." Kyung Ae started to panic, trying to grow accustomed to her surroundings. She was in the middle of a kitchen, tied to one of the four matching chairs near the dining area. She shook her head around, and struggled, doing her best to untie the tightly-made knot around her two wrists. But the knot was made impossible to tear with just pure strength, which already was a struggle for her slim body already. "What do you want from me? WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

He raised his hand up, forcing it to make contact with her bruised skin. It throbbed in pain, a bright red color. "Don't raise your voice at me."

"Let me go."

He ignored her and reached out for his android, typing in several digits. 

"I said let me go." He didn't answer, giving his full undivided attention to the technology in his hands. "I SAID LE-"

"Answer the phone." He brought it close to her ear, and she all she could do was listen to the continuous sound of a beep. She held her breath in, hearing the sound of a faint, soft "hello". She already knew who was on the other line. "S-Sanghee."

"Kyung Ae? Kyung Ae, why are you talking with Byunghun's phone? I thought we both agreed to stay away from him."

L. Joe crept closer, and whispered softly. "Tell her to come over here. Now."

"N-No. You can't make me,"

"Make you what? What's going on? You didn't answer my question earlier."

"I said, tell her. Now." He started to speak with a more demanding tone. "Do you want to die? Do you?" He brought out his own pocket-knife and barely grazed it over her skin. A small cut gushed open. "Tell her to come here."

"S-Stop it. Don't touch me. Don't touch me. Don't touch me. No. Please. Please, d-don't tou-"

"Kyung Ae, what the hell is going on over there. I heard L. Joe's voice. Are you safe? Don't worry, I'm coming to get yo-"

"NO! DON'T COME HERE SANGHEE. Please! Don't come here! Please!"

"You useless !" He grabbed at her, gluing his fist with her already bruised cheek, reddening the color of her fragile skin.

She slightly grazed her finger over the infected mark and saw light drops of blood drip down and staining her beige-colored coat. She covered , tasting the saltiness of her own DNA. She looked at him with wide eyes, horrified.



"You're inhumane."