Take a Breath

Captured Silence

Five days. The showcase was five days away, and it's been exactly a week since Kyung Ae last spoke to Sanghee about him. And it's been exactly a week since she last spoke to him. To Byunghun. You could say she was afraid, chills erupting whenever thoughts popped up about his past. Would she choose to believe Kyung Ae or not, the answer to that question was still left unknown.


"Yoon Sanghee, pay attention when I speak to you." Sanghee flinched, having brought her attention back to reality.

"I'm sorry. I'll stay focused. I'm sorry." She bowed repeatedly.


Ms. Kim sighed, stressed, and rubbing her side temples. She walked over to her student and lifted her face up with the touch of her finger. Carefully examining Sanghee's face, she sighed again. "Class dismissed. Five days Sanghee. Five days. What has gotten into you lately? Is it the lack of sleep? I expect more from you. A lot more than what you've been giving me lately."

"Ms. Kim, I'm really really sor-" 

"Enough. Enough with the sorry's." She walked over to the far corner, taking off her trench coat from the rack and putting it on. "You disappoint me." she spoke in a strong, clear voice, then leaving.


Sanghee slumped down to her position from days before. She hugged her knees and sulked, feeling the depression weighing down on her. Her lack of self-confidence dropped down even more that it already has.

After an hour's worth of being sullen, Sanghee mustered up the courage to stood on her own two feet, walking out of that dreaded dance studio. Unconsciously, her feet were bringing her to a place other than her apartment. She was being taken to the apartment of another.

She walked inside the building and stood in front of one of the elevators, pressing the up button. After ten seconds of waiting, the elevator sprung open. Sanghee went inside, pressing the button labeled as the number thirteen. She waited and waited, watching as the numbers above the elevator door counted up digits. It opened after much awaiting, even adding in the sound of a 'ding. Calmly, she maneuvered down the corridor and landed herself at a particular door: apartment 1362.


Cautiously, Sanghee rang the doorbell, awaiting for him to open the door and invite her inside.

 

"Hello? Oh, hey Babe." Byunghun opened the door and let the woman in, again going on with his flirtatious ways. "What are you doing here? Wait, let me guess. You're here to get drunk again." He laughed, but his girlfriend was in no mood to.

"Byunghun, no. L. Joe- I mean- now's not the time. We need to talk." Byunghun's face stiffened, hearing his other name being called out.. He quickly brushed it off, not wanting Sanghee to catch that small but meaningful action of his. He kept silent, allowing for her to continue on. "Are you- Are you hiding something from me?"

"No."

"Please. Tell the truth."

"I'm telling the truth Sanghee."


His face stiffened again, and his right eye acted out a small twitch. Sanghee was quick enough to catch his actions that time. From that point on, Sanghee knew better than to trust anything that came out from his mouth. He was a liar after all. Eyes filled with betrayal, she raised her hand at him. His cheek started to throb as he grabbed at it in pain, beating a bright red color.


"You. Stay away from me, and stay away from Kyung Ae." She look around nervously, still lacking the confidence to look him in the eye. "I'll call the cops on you. I really will."

He tried grabbing her hand, and pleadingly, he spoke. "Sanghee, ple-"

"D-Don't touch me Byunghun. I-I don't associate myself with killers." she let open, trying her best to stay bold and unafraid, but anyone would act the same way she did, knowing about the kind of person he was. Knowing about the kind of things he could do, and what he would do.


She left the apartment, and away from his sight. Hopefully, forever, but L. Joe wouldn't let her away that easily. He wouldn't let anyone free from his grasp now. Not ever. His eyes began to fill with complete anger inside them, and he punched a hole in the wall. Bits of plaster and powdered dust erupted from within, and the sides of his lips pointed upwards, curving into a smile. 

He was smiling.




------------------------------




"Ok, so that will be one caramel macchiato with a side of French toast." Kyung Ae repeated, writing down the order, glad to know that this was the last customer of the day.


She frowned, knowing how Sanghee called in on a sick leave. She knew better than to believe that type of excuse to be true. Kyung Ae's guess: she was avoiding her. It's not like she would ever want to make contact with her anytime soon, not after what she told the girl. Of course it would be a lot for Sanghee to handle all in one day, especially with the up-coming showcase.


"Kyung Ae, you can leave now. We're closing up in a few afterall." Boss Chang told her, as she placed the customer's entree onto his table. Kyung Ae bowed 90 degrees and untied her apron, placing it onto of the kitchen counter where all the other aprons lay.


She skidded right outside, starting to take a stroll down the cold streets of Seoul. She took a breath of fresh air, its frosted crispness calming her down and into a serene state. slowly curved upward, taking notice of the beautiful street lights glimmering one after another, complimenting the faint glow of the crescent moon hovering above.

A harsh pair of hands suddenly swooped her from the enlightening scenery and into the shadows of an abandoned alleyway across the street, the darkness blanketing the two beings so no one in the outside world would be able to see. So that no one would be able to help. The palm of the man's hand grasped onto Kyung Ae's mouth, muffling her screeches and cries for help into utter silence.

She started sobbing, unaware of what to do in this situation. She was helpless, and the thought of it empowered him even more. He took out the handkerchief in his pants pocket and covered her nose, not letting any bits of fresh air seep from within it.


"Sniff it." he ordered.


She continuously shook her head no, tears running down her face as she tried her hardest not to give in. She held her breath for the longest time, eyes throbbing in the brightest red color, nose itching and burning. Angered by her stubbornness, he pulled onto her long strands of hair, harshly with no signs of sympathy. He yanked harder the more she would stray from giving in.


"SNIFF IT." he screamed in her ear, startling the girl.


And soon enough, it was inevitable. She was to either take in the smell of drugs or die from the lack of air. She took a whiff, her head starting to spin in multiple directions. Her eyes began to shut close, though she pried for them to stay open. But it was already too late for the girl. 


She already gave in, collapsing into his arms.