Chapter 4

Destiny's Game

“Shall we order food?” he asked, while holding up the menu.

I politely agreed, “Ah, yes please.”

He signalled for a waiter to attend to us.

“May I take your order, Ma’am? Sir?” the waiter typically asked.

My date looked up from the menu & asked, “Is it okay if I order for you, Tiffany-ah?”

Tiffany-ah? Should he really call me that like Lee Donghae did? I don’t believe this. I must be dreaming. If not, I must be imagining things. Two flutes of champagne did not do me any good.

Not wanting to make a big deal out of it, I answered—trying to sound as unshaken as possible, “No problem.”

He smiled as response and surprisingly paced my favorite Chinese dish to order.

After reiterating our orders, the waiter walked away.

“It’s amazing you ordered my favorite, thanks,” I complimented him.

He naughtily winked at me and said, “Let’s just say that I did a little research about you, Ms. Hwang.”

Sweet. That was sweet. Hmm. I think this guy’s not so bad, after all.

I felt my phone vibrate and went to sneak a peek to see who sent me a message.

 

From: Sunny

How’s everything going, Tiffany? I’m your emergency contact, remember that ;) BTW, Donghae oppa texted me minutes ago that he’s already around the vicinity but he’s got some things to take care of before he can come here. I was really hoping that you would finally meet each other ;(

 

I agreed with Sunny 100%. I went back to my conversation with my date and teased, “Are you my stalker?”

He shook his head, laughing in response. “Can I ask you a question?” he began, opting for a change in topic.

“Sure. Shoot,” I fearlessly challenged as I stared at the pretty lanterns hanging above us.

He asked, “Do you believe in destiny?”

My head lowered, meeting his gaze. It was an overrated and cliché question but coming from him, it felt like being faced with the most difficult Differential Calculus problem ever.

I tore my gaze away from him and to the lanterns again. “Do you?” asking him back seemed inappropriate but safe.

He tilted his head to the side, half-smiling & looking down. He said, “Well.. I don’t want to but I’m starting to.” He paused for a while and sighed, “It’s hard to explain but I still haven’t forgotten that you did not answer my question.” He pointed at me.

My eyes widened at his attentiveness. I thought he already forgot. Well, I guess not.

While playfully putting a finger on my chin, I began, “Hmm.. Destiny. Hmm.. I’m actually a big nonbeliever.. until tonight.”

My date threw his head back for a good laugh. After a short while, he leaned over, closing the distance between us and rendering me speechless. “Are you hitting on me now?” he asked while his piercing hazel orbs stared right back at me.

I retreated, lurching backwards in one quick motion. With his gesture, I had a foretaste of how sweet and ironically strong his scent was—not like a perfume but something natural. Something human. The fragrance that smelt like a mix between cinnamon and morning dew lingered in my nostrils, sending my eyes to flutter close. Hypnotizing. Addictive.

I gathered strength enough to open my eyes & say, “Hey, I’m not hitting on you, Mr. I-think-I’m-attractive!” I rolled my eyes & playfully reached over to slap his arm when I saw him making a comical expression of disbelief and doubt.

“If you say sooo~” he sang.

Defensively, I challenged him with an eyebrow raised, “I can prove it, you know.”

“Oh yeah?” he clasped his hands together like some detective from CSI. “Now, prove it.”

I opened my mouth to speak but I was interrupted by my own cellphone’s vibration. I quickly opened the new message..

 

From: Sunny

Oppa’s phone is turned off. I wonder what he is up to. :\ Tiffanyyyyy, please try to come if you can, okay?

 

After sliding my phone back to my purse, I shifted my attention back to my date. I took a deep breath & said, “Promise me you won’t make fun of me first. Promise?”

He nodded, his lips pursed in a straight stubborn line. “I promise.”

Gosh, what spell did this guy cast on me that I’m now even willing to open up to him about my deepest secrets?! I bit my lip and began, “Remember when I told you a while ago that you’re scarily familiar?”

He enthusiastically nodded.

“Well.. it’s because I already saw you once.. in a vision.. a mental image like some kind of an imagination,” I managed to say out clearly. I prepared myself to hear him laugh at me insultingly but he was able to keep his cool.

He jokingly bragged while wiggling his eyebrows, “Well, what do you know? I never thought that you would fantasize about me even before meeting me in person!”

Something in what he said reminded me of Lee Donghae once again. I shook my head and said, “I’m serious here, Mr. Choi!”

Mr. Choi?” he tilted his head to the side, “Whoever told you that my last name is Choi?”

My jaw dropped. My eyes widened. I yelled, “What?! You’re.. You’re not Choi Siwon?!” I tried to replay the past few minutes and scolded myself. He did not even properly introduce himself and I almost had dinner with him! A stranger!

He was smiling—smiling while I was slowly losing my mind.

“Who are you, then?!” I asked him demandingly. A certain name flashed in my mind—Lee Donghae—but I quickly shoved it away. I’ve had enough of that Lee Donghae invading my train of thought every second of everyday. I’m facing a dangerously serious situation now and the last thing I want to happen is me losing my sanity because I almost had dinner with a stranger. A stranger, for God’s sake!

“I think you know,” he said.

“Hey! I have no time for silly games, stranger! Who are you?!” I said in between my teeth as my fists clenched above the table.

“Okay,” he raised both his hands as a sign of surrender, “You want to know who I am? I’m Choi Siwon’s friend. Fair enough?”

I scoffed and retorted once more, “Name. I need your name.”

“You know who I am, Tiffany-ah,” he teased, “You know me, that I’m sure.”

I tried to make sense out of his words but it can’t be true. “What are you talking about?!”

He leaned forward—close enough for me to smell his addictive fragrance again. He stared at my eyes and with a low voice, he spoke, “I ask you again. Do you believe in destiny?”

“No. It can’t be. You can’t be reading what goes on through my mind. It’s impossible,” I shook my head, ignoring how short my breaths have now become. “It’s impossible,” I repeated.

“It’s impossible? I’d like to put it this way: It’s destiny,” he firmly said.

Staring at my blurred reflection on the silverware, I slowly put the pieces together—Sunny’s texts about her oppa’s schedule, my favorite Chinese dish.. his familiar voice.

I warily looked up, to look into his eyes. Finally.

He was reaching out for a handshake and I could only stare at his hand then back at him repeatedly. “Nice to meet you, Tiffany Hwang. Let me introduce myself, I’m Donghae. Lee Donghae.”

-T H E  E N D-


I hope you enjoyed the short time you spent with me~ That’s it. The END. I don’t know what I should call this one, though. A oneshot? A mini fanfic? LOL :D Whatever! FIGHTING! *pumps fist in the air*

Please also support my new Super Generation oneshot entitled "Taking Chances" Click HERE to start reading! :)


EPILOGUE

“Whew,” Donghae huffed after Tiffany finished reading up to the very last word. “Cliffhangers were never my thing,” he joked. “By the way, were you guys able to guess that it was me with her during that date?”

Tiffany ignored Donghae’s unpleasant remark and leaned closer to the camera. She asked, “Did you like it? Huh? Did you? Did you?”


COMMENT REPLIES

@clumsy_g. oh! you're right! it IS Donghae! you smart girl.. ILOVEYOU for that~ ;) i hope i ended it well or was it too much of a cliffhanger!? *hides her face*

@kyueunsihae. *gasps* it's HaeFany, dear.. :) please don't hate me for that, neh? >:D

@ParkEunIn. psssh.. it's NOT SIWON so no need to be furious, 'kay? LOL :D i hope you enjoyed this last chapter!