Chapter 1

Destiny's Game

While I was waiting for Sunny to arrive before classes start, I opened my pink leather-bound notebook & unconsciously started scribbling his name all over its last page.

Lee Donghae with hearts floating around it. Then a bigger and bolder Lee Donghae. And Tiffany Lee, just right below it.

I immediately scratched that last one—until it was unreadable—as soon as I finished writing it. After doing so, I comically started hitting my head with my fists. I scolded myself, “What in the world was I thinki--”

My little act was interrupted by a high-pitched voice, a really familiar one—Sunny’s.

“Tiffany, you’re coming to my party later tonight, right?” Sunny asked as she took her usual seat beside me.

I sneakily slid my notebook back to my bag. “A party? What for?” I looked at the ceiling, pretending to have forgotten that it was her birthday today.

Sunny cutely pouted before folding her arms across her chest. “Hmph~” she grumbled, “You forgot!”

I shook my head in disbelief that she’s actually using her aegyo stunts on me. Oh well, I’ll let this one pass since today’s her big day. I laughed, “That it’s my BFF Sunny’s 21st birthday today? Never!” I spread my arms wide and greeted, “Happy Birthday, Aegyo Queen!” I flashed a smile and next thing I knew, she had tackled me in a hug. I gaily hugged her back.

“So where’s my gift?” Sunny asked me with expectant eyes as soon as we broke the hug.

I playfully rolled my eyes and told her, “You’ll get your gift later at your party!”

“Does that mean you’re coming?” she clutched her hands together, awaiting my reply enthusiastically.

I winked at her, “Absolutely!”

As if on cue, Prof. Jang entered the room, forcing me, Sunny and the rest of the class to stop what we’re doing and sit up straight.

Oh, dear. Hello, three straight hours of History Subject boredom! This is great. Just great.

 

During break time, I asked Sunny, “So.. who else are invited to your party later?”

Sunny, who was sitting across me, started counting with her fingers, “My eldest brother, Eunhyuk oppa, will be there.”

“Will he bring Hyoyeon unnie with him?” I interrupted, “I haven’t seen them since their wedding, you know.”

Sunny shrugged, “I do hope oppa brings Hyoyeon unnie along with him.” Then she continued, “Do you remember Taeyeon unnie?”

I stopped for a second to recall before an image of a girl almost the same age as me & Sunny popped in my head. The girl with doll-like eyes & a cute button nose was braiding my hair. “Aha! Taeyeon unnie! Your cousin! Yes, I do remember her!” I excitedly said.

Sunny wiggled her eyebrows and leaned forward to whisper something, “Taeyeon unnie is coming with her boyfriend, Park Leeteuk—the hot baby-faced TV host and DJ of Sukira!”

I covered my mouth in surprise, “Really?”

Sunny mischievously nodded.

But then, something struck me. “Is your other oppa coming, too?”

“Do you mean Donghae oppa?” Sunny asked suspiciously.

I eagerly nodded. “I still haven’t really met him face-to-face, you know. I haven’t even seen a picture of him yet, either. Not on facebook, not on twitter, not on cyworld, not even on me2day! That Donghae oppa of yours is waaaaay too mysterious!” I pointed matter-of-factly. It’s nothing but the truth, though.

Sunny giggled and said, “I also can’t figure out why you and Donghae oppa are like two magnets with similar poles—you never happen to be around when the other one is.” Sunny heaved out a dreamy sigh and continued, “BUT I stand firm to my opinion that the two of you are meant to be together!”

I laughed and said, “You tell me that so much to the point that I think I’m starting to believe you!”

For the two years that I’ve been friend with Sunny, she has told me gazillions of stories about her oh-so-awesome Donghae oppa. The catch is that I’ve never met or even seen him in person but I think I’m starting to fall in love with him already. I HATE IT. Psh. It’s super silly—falling in love with the image in my mind that I drew only from Sunny’s endless oohs and ahhs about her too-good-to-be-true Donghae oppa. It’s something that only happens in movies—fantasy movies, to be exact. Nevertheless, this feeling keeps getting stronger.

Frequent dreams of snuggling comfortably in the arms of a man whose face I never remember is definitely a red flag. Scribbling and doodling Lee Donghae all over the last page of my favorite notebook is not a good sign, either. I must be out of my mind for—

“But it’s true, though,” Sunny said, completely interrupting with my thoughts. She continued, “You two share a lot, and I mean a lot of similarities!”

I rolled my eyes. “Here we go again,” I muttered under my breath which made Sunny scowl.

She leaned closer again, invading the space between us. With an ounce of aegyo, she whined, “Tiffany~ It’s my birthdaaaaay~”

I sighed & said, “Okay, okay. So.. is he coming or not?”

“Donghae oppa did not promise me anything. Oppa just told me that he’ll try,” Sunny slumped in her seat.

What now?! He’s too busy to go to his own dongsaeng’s birthday party?! What’s his job, anyway? “What’s his job, anyway?” I asked, putting my thoughts into words.

Sunny opened to answer but..

KRIIIIIIIIING!!!

Ugh. Break time is over. “Let’s go?” I stood up, though I have not completely gotten over the fact that Sunny was not yet able to answer my question.

 

When classes ended, Sunny hurried out after a quick farewell.

“Tiffany dear, I’ll just see you at the party later, ‘kay? I still have to help in preparing. See you!”

Right. I was not even able to respond.

I checked the time. Hmm. 5:42PM. Around two more hours before Sunny’s Birthday Celebration. I should probably take a shower now & start preppin’ myself.

Sunny’s parties are never mediocre & I should head to the salon for my hair and makeup.

I removed my ponytail & headed to my bathroom for the hot bath I asked my maids to prepare. Oh yeah, I can totally use a minute or so to relax my stressed out body what with all the theses & terms papers bombarding my schedule.

I sat on the tub with the water reaching up to my chest. “Hmmm,” I moaned as I flexed my neck muscles to ease some tension from it.

I closed my eyes but a quick mental image of a man smiling at me totally interrupted my me-time. “Eeeek!” a tiny shriek escaped my lips as I rubbed my forehead. Whoah, what was that about?! And more importantly, who was that man in my vision? I just remember that he had a prominent jaw line, a pair of cute noticeable canine teeth, thin pronounced lips and eyes.. eyes.. eyes that seemed to pierce right through my very soul. It was funny yet weird how his image remained vivid inside my head despite the fact that it just took me a split-second to see his face—whoever he was. His face flooded my thoughts even until I got my hair and makeup done.

 

I hopped in the driver seat of my jet black Chevy convertible & started the engine.

“I wonder if all of Sunny’s brothers will be there,” I thought aloud, trying to get rid of the face in my head. Admittedly, if there was one topic that’s more interesting than any other, it had to be that of a certain Lee Donghae.

From my favorite salon, Sunny’s house, the Lee Mansion, is just a 10-minute drive away. Time check. 6:56PM.

I smiled, “I’ll be right on time.” I twisted my torso towards the backseat to check if I remembered to bring my present for Sunny. Gift? Check. Hair and makeup? Check.

I gingerly grabbed the steering wheel and stepped on the gas. Zoom, my car went with the engine roaring underneath me.


So sorry.. I decided to publish the chapters separately. Leave your comments below, neh? I would also appreciate feedback and criticisms ;) Do you guys like the story so far?