I Don't Think I Can Wait

"I'm Sorry"

I ran down the hall, I still couldn't find her. A scream echoed throught the hallway.

"I'm not going to go! I CAN'T! I DON'T WANT TO!" That's it! That's her! I ran towards the shrieking voice. I burst open the door and found nurses holding you down, and injecting a shot into your veins so you would calm down and fall alseep.

I was relieved you hadn't gone into surgery yet, but I felt guilty for making you wait and being treated like this.

The doctor left, saying he'd be back in half an hour after she had gone to sleep. I sat beside you as you lied on the bed. I held your hand, and softly caressed your face.

"Oppa. Wait for me, don't leave ok? Wait for me this time please? I'm fine with you being late for our other dates, but please, when I wake up, the first thing I want to see is your smiling face. I don't want to wait for you anymore." you begged me.

I softly smiled and kissed your hand, then your cheek. "I promise I won't leave. I'll stay by your side." I made a promise I knew I couldn't keep.

"Oppa. Do you love me?" you asked me innocently.

"Of course I do. I love you so much it hurts. Everything I do is for you." I gently placed my lips on your forehead. She chuckled and smiled.

"Oppa...I..love you...too..." she slowly drifted off into sleep. Her eyelids slowly shut themselves. I suddenly felt a pang in my heart. It felt as if I would never see her open her eyes again. I held tightly onto her hand, and repeatedly kissed them. If I wait for you, you'll come back right? I crept back out into the hall, and called the nurse. I found out the surgery would take a couple of hours, and you wouldn't come concious until late the next night.

I went back out into my car and went out to work. Ever since I heard about your tumor, I felt like time was running out. I took up 3 jobs. One for the weekdays, one for weeknights, and one on the weekends. I needed the money, fast.

Sure, I'm tired, but that wasn't enough of an excuse to stop. I wasn't about to give up our preicous memories, and possible future together just because I was tired.

Those dates I couldn't make, those days I was late, I was working. I wanted to make money for your surgery, and for our future.

~~~

I came into the hospital in the afternoon the next day. You were still unconcious. I held tightly onto your hand and prayed that you would wake up soon.

The doctor said the surgery wasn't a success. The tumor grew too big, and he wasn't able to completely remove it. In the near future, that wretched tumor would grown even larger.

"The surgery wasn't a complete success. There's a big chance the tumor will start growing again. There's nothing we can do about it. I'm so sorry. If she does wake up, all we can do is have constant surgery on her and take away as much as we can in the furute, but it will never completely go away. She'll gradually turn blind. Her sight will become darker and darker until she sees nothing at all. Her chances of keeping her sight are very slim. I'm sorry."

On that sad note, he left you and me in the room alone. He led your parents out of room to keep it silent for you too rest peacefully. Your mother cried hysterically outside of the door. Even though I made no sound of sadness, your mother's cries were only half of those I felt in my heart.

Why? Why does this have to happen to you? You've done nothing wrong. Why does it seem like you're being punished for a crime that never occured? I hate it. Why couldn't this have happened to me?

I sat on a little chair at your bedside, and stared at your angelic glow at the sun shone through the white curtains.

I fervently held onto your hand, carefully it, drawing a heart in the palm of your hand. My heart felt like it was becoming heavier by the second. I was filled with doubts that you would wake up. For every second that past, waiting for you to wake up, it seemed like it an eternity. I constantly checked the clock to see how long it had been. Only an hour had passed. The doctor had said you would wake up as late as 5 hours later, the earliest would be 2 hours.

I couldn't take it anymore. I felt the urge to shake you by the shoulders, scream out your name and wake you up myself. I would have done so too if your mother hadn't come in to see how you were doing. Both she and I had calmed down a bit in each other's presence.

"How is she?" she asked softly. She sounded as if we was going to cry again if she said anymore.

I went by her side, and placed my hand on her shoulder, as an act of encouragement.

"She's fine. Still a heavy sleeper." I tried to joke around to make the atmosphere less tense. Your mom simply nodded with a small smile. She could tell what I was trying to do.

"The doctor said she she be awake in an hour or so." she told me.

"Honestly though," I let out a small sigh, "I don't think I can wait anymore."

"Aigoo. Still impatient as always." your dad laughed, but nodded afterwards. "Neither can I."

"I'm very sorry to say this but," I started, causing both of your parent to look straight into my eyes, making me feel guilty, "I have to go to work now. I can't stay and be here when she wakes up." I gave them a deep bow, and left without looking back at their faces.

I shut the door behind me as I left. I let out a deep sigh and leaned against the door. "I'm sorry."

At that moment I hated myself so much.