Chapter 17

The Promise of a Wallflower

 

It had been days since she last saw Jongup and she had this very weird feeling in her gut and it made her uncomfortable. It had also been days since he last came to school and it wasn't just because they used to be friends, but Sookyung grew worried for Jongup's absence at school.

 

"Are you worried about something?" Changjo asked, her worried head softly. She was so caught up in her thoughts she didn’t even notice when he sat down beside her.

 

"I-It's nothing" she answered, a lie too obvious to hide and it wasn’t like Changjo couldn’t see it.

 

"Are you worried about Jongup?" She heard him say and she immediately turned her head towards him.

 

Was she really that easy to read? She thought and as if Changjo could read her mind, the small smirk on his face made her cheeks turn red and before she could turn away to hide it, Changjo brought his one hand up to touch them and graze his thumb on her blushing cheeks.

 

"He was right. It is cute" Chango said and smiled to himself.

 

"What?" Sookyung asked after hearing him mumble to himself, but he shook his head.

 

"Have you asked Youngjae?" Changjo asked and Sookyung blinked multiple times, not quite comprehending his sudden question. Changjo suddenly grabbed her by the hand and pulled her out of her chair. Sookyung was a little startled by his actions but she didn't question them.

 

"Come on" he said and pulled her out of her chair.

 

"Where are we going, Changjo?" She asked when they finally got to the corridor. Changjo didn't answer and just dragged her along behind him until they arrived to this one familiar class at the end of the hallway.

 

"What are we doing here, Changjo?" She asked and she couldn't hide the nervous feeling in her voice. Besides Jongup, she also hadn't been talking to Youngjae since the incident where he shouted at her in public.

 

There really wasn't much of a difference between their class and the A class, just that the students in the A class were a little bit more studious or in other words perfect in the matter of their grades. The class they were looking into right now was just as rowdy as their class was. While they were both peeping in, someone from inside saw them. She ran up to them and hugged Sookyung, of course, it was a common greeting between the two.

 

"What are you two doing here?" She asked, glancing at Changjo then back at Sookyung.

 

"We're here to see Youngjae" Changjo said. Sookyung's eyes widened and so did Soomi's.

 

When both of them stood there, flabbergasted by Changjo's request, Changjo spotted Youngjae in his group of friends and went up to him pulling Sookyung along. Sookyung tried to resist him but that only made his grip grow tighter.

 

Laughing with his circle of friends, Youngjae stopped abruptly when two people who didn't belong there stepped in. He didn't bother looking up at Changjo, but he took one look at Sookyung and turned his head away, refusing to look at the both of them. His circle of friends suddenly dissipated leaving just the three of them until Soomi joined in.

 

Changjo nudged Sookyung in the side, telling her she should talk. She wanted to but the words became tangled in and they couldn't come out. She wondered, since when did she feel so small towards Youngjae and why she was so nervous to talk to him. So, once again, Changjo voiced it out for her.

 

"She wants to know where Jongup is" Changjo said. Youngjae gave no answer to Changjo and pretended to flip the pages of his text book. Realising that Youngjae didn't want to talk to Changjo, Sookyung mustered up her courage and cleared before she talked.

 

"Jongup has been absent from school these last few days. I just want to know if he's ok" her voice came out small and shaky.

 

Still not turning away from his book, Youngjae answered her this time. It wasn't that he hated Changjo, he just wanted Sookyung to ask for herself; not someone else to do it for her.

 

"You realised it just now?"  Sookyung in some air from his sarcastic reply. This time, Youngjae turned in his seat and looked at the both of them.

 

"He didn't tell you?" He asked, an eyebrow arched on his face.

 

"Tell me what?" She asked and her heart suddenly beat a little bit faster than it should. If anything, Jongup must have told her first, but this time she didn't know anything about Jongup anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She raced out of school and ran as fast as she could. She didn't even know she could run that far without stopping to take a rest but after listening to what Youngjae had told her, she had no time to even take a breath of oxygen. She had to see it for herself; she didn't want to believe Youngjae until she saw it for herself.

 

She ran down that familiar street that she didn't often go to anymore and as soon as she reached the house, she finally stopped and panted for air. Looking up at the empty house, she felt hopeless and realised that all that running brought her to nothing. She ran up to the door and checked the house number, she even checked through every window just to make sure. This was the right house. She has been here since she was a child so there could be no possible way that she could have made a mistake.

 

"No" she said to herself, the single word came out as a sob. She nearly choked on her tears that were threatening to fall. It was probably the disappointment that finally got to her that her legs started to turn weak and before she could black out from all of that running, she sat herself down in front of the doorstep and silently cried in her lap.

 

He moved away. Jongup moved away and he didn't even tell her. Jongup was a cruel person, she decided; cruel and heartless because he left her behind and he didn't even say goodbye. He was a jerk. A stupid jerk. But more of stupid than a jerk. Her chest felt so painful, like someone had tied a very tight knot and it was making it hard for her to breathe so she didn't hold it in any longer and cried hard with her face hidden behind her hands. If she were to see Moon Jongup again, she was never going to forgive him ever.

 

"Sookyung, you're here" she heard someone say. She didn't bother looking up because she knew that Changjo would be chasing after her, and also it was not like she had the energy left in her to do so.

 

"He's not here anymore. He's gone" she sobbed wiping away the never ending tears with the back of her sleeves. "He left without even telling me. He left me here alone" she cried. Sookyung could hear Changjo sigh beside her, a feeling of disappointment surged over him.

 

"I guess you can never see me the way I see you" he told her. Sookyung lifted her head up to look at him. He had a small smile on his face, but his eyes were sad and regretful.

 

"You know I don't mean it that way… What I meant was... I mean..." she searched for the right words to say but failed, and covered her face with her hands when her head got mixed up with everything happening to her. Changjo pulled her hands away from her face, and then leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her red cheeks.

 

"You should know that you're not alone. I'm always here if you need me. Ok?" He reassured her and Sookyung nodded in response. "However, I don't think I can be that person who will be there forever"

 

"What do you mean by, Changjo?" She asked. Changjo searched his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, then handed it to Sookyung.

 

"What is this?"  She asked, unfolding the piece of paper to reveal something written inside it.

 

"Youngjae told me to pass it to you after you just ran out from school like that" he answered. "I'm pretty sure we'll be getting detention tomorrow for skipping class" he joked.

 

Sookyung frowned after reading what was written on that piece of paper. She didn't quite understand and looked back at Changjo. He raised his hand and patted her on the head; maybe it was gesture to comfort her but whatever it was it was helping.

 

"You'll see when you get there" he said and smiled at her.

 

 

 

 

 

140613.

A/N: I'm back after a full month. I noticed Chapter 16 was posted on the 14th of May haha. So I just finished work and and my semester break begins, so hopefully I can update often now (idk, it's really hard to say) but anyway, thanks for all the comments you posted. When I say my writing and my chapters and my life ; Not that I'm asking any pity or seeking attention from any of you, you guys still give me encouraging comments. Thanks to all of you. and HI ! to my new subscribers