Chapter 14

The Promise of a Wallflower

 

 

"Jongup what are you doing?" She pulled herself back, tugging her hands from his grip as well as halting Jongup's movement. Jongup frowned at the sudden loss of contact and unintentionally gave her a bewildered stare.

 

"We go home together all the time, remember?" He said taking a step closer towards her, but her reflex made her move one step back.

 

"We used to walk home together" she emphasized on the sole word and it made Jongup's face darken. He was no doubt utterly confused. Why was she being stubborn? Why was she refusing him? He knew that they haven't been with together for a while but why does it look like as if she detested him completely?

 

"I'm going home with Changjo" was all she said and nothing further. She turned to get her bags, then took Changjo’s hand and pulled him out of the class; without even looking back.

 

 

 

 

She didn't know that Changjo was calling her name telling her to stop only until he stopped in his tracks forcing her to be jerked back by him. She eventually stopped and found herself panting.

 

"Sookyung ah, we're far from the school building now, and he's not following us. You can slow down now" he said. A line of sweat trickled down his head and he wiped away with his sleeve.

 

Sookyung stared blankly back at him. A little bit lost; for a moment there she had actually forgotten what she was running away from. Her eyes then shifted to their hands, still tightly clasped together and when she was about to slip her hands out of his, he grabbed them back into a tight hold.

 

“Won’t you let me hold your hand?” he asked. Sookyung bit her lips and looked away, avoiding his gaze. Changjo didn’t even wait for an answer and he pulled her by her side, so they could walk home together.

 

Sookyung stayed quiet but her thoughts were chaotic. She slowly looked up at Changjo, his face unchanged and nonchalant, as if holding hands was nothing to him, then her gaze trailed down to their hands that were entangled together.

 

“I noticed it a long time ago” he suddenly said. Sookyung looked up at him again, a bit clueless about what he was talking about. “You would always shy away when someone else held onto your hands, but not when you’re with Jongup” he explained.

 

Yes, she still wasn’t used to other people holding her hands except for Jongup. The way Changjo did was different from him. It was tight, a bit rough but secure, unlike Jongup who is more warm, gentle and free. Despite the bad things that happened between them in the past, she decided that holding hands with Changjo wasn’t all that bad. It was actually quite nice.

 

“I- I like your hands too” she said, a tint of blush appearing on her cheeks. To be quite honest, she had never, ever confessed to something like that, not even to Jongup. The confession made Changjo look down at her, his expression also quite surprised too but then he shrugged and smiled.

 

“Really?” he asked and she replied with a nod. Changjo squeezed her hands a little to tell her that it was a nice thing to know that she was finally getting used to him now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

His hands gripped tightly onto Youngjae’s collar, shaking the poor, confused boy. Jongup gritted his teeth, his mind lost in his muddled thoughts. What had he done? What did he do to make Sookyung look that way at him? Why did she refuse him and opted to go with Changjo instead? What happened to her when they were apart from each other?

 

Youngjae shoved Jongup off him, clearly he didn’t realise that because he just stood there in the middle of the room, thinking over and over again about what he did wrong.

 

“If you’re wondering why Sookyung hates you then it’s about time” Youngjae sarcastically remarked as he straightened out his clothes. Jongup turned his head towards Youngjae, a deep frown on his face. What was Youngjae talking about?

 

“She hates me?” Jongup blinked cluelessly. Hate? She hated him?

 

Youngjae rolled his eyes. He pitied his best friend. Moon Jongup was really a slow one. Really slow.

 

“You took too much time to think over your thoughts and you left her hanging, all alone. You pushed her aside when she had no one else but you, Moon Jongup.” The elder said as he sat down on his bed. Hopefully his words got straight through that thick head of his.

 

Jongup slumped down on the bed beside Youngjae and hid his face in his hands. This was definitely not how things were supposed to turn out.

 

“But I love her Youngjae. How could she think that I would ever abandon her?” he said behind his hands. Things were getting too complicated now. This was driving him crazy and how was she ever going to confess to her now with Changjo around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(;-_-) and my chapters are forever short. I'll try make it longer for the next chapter. I need more moontos in my life OTL