Forgotten

Don't Give Up On Me

I let them into the house, following Kai's actions closely with my eyes, it almost seemed as if he had seem this house for the first time, as if he weren't there with me when we had purchased this apartment together. What bothered me the most was that he just swished past me, without a word or a kiss and sat down on the couch, turing to me and smiling a gentle and forced smile at me.

"You have a nice house here." I looked at mom and dad, and then at Luhan. Two of them looking at me, carefully judging my actions. Luhan broke free from mom's embrase and ran towards me, hugging my right leg, and peeking at Kai, his head bent low.

"Oh...is he your son? he is a really adorable kid!" He said, looking at Luhan with a gentle, yet unfamiliar smile on his face. Luhan just clutched my leg even tighter and hid behind me. I looked at Kai in disbelief, as I picked Luhan up in my arms and felt his little hands wrap around my neck tightly hiding his face in my shoulder. He let out an embaressed chuckle, and scratched his head while looking at me, his head bent down. He does this when he is uncomfortable.

"Jongin?" a hoarse voice called, I realised it belonged to mom. 

"Yes, mom?"

"Honey, this is Sehun, your new roommate..." she said in a low whisper. I frowned, why is she introducing me to Kai, and that too as his roommate? I am his husband, not his roomate!! what the hell is going on? Kai nodded in my direction. "Honey, why don't you go and unpack you bags and freshen up?" she asked him, and he obliged.

“Mom, dad...whats going on?” I asked them when Kai had gone into the guest room to unpack his things and take a bath, it was getting very strange now. Was this his way of punishing me? But isn’t it just too cruel? I mean after all that we have been through.

“Sehun-ah, you know we consider you as our son too right?!”

“Yes, mom but please just tell me what is going on, don't beat around the bush please...” I said, dreading what she was about to say. But she turned to Luhan, and asked him to go to bed, waiting for him to enter his room, before she turned to me, regret written all over her face.

“Honey, you...we...Kai, he has lost his memories of you...”

I looked at her, wide eyed, and suddenly started laughing; seriously, they expected me to believe that?! My Kai won’t forget me...I am his husband for God’s sake!! All I have is him. He promised me he would be there for me forever, through thick and thin, till death parts us. He promised me. And my Kai doesn’t break promises.

*But he’s not your Kai anymore is he?* said a voice inside my head.

He is, he is my Kai, and he will always remain my Kai, no matter what.

*Really? He doesn’t even remember you Sehun!!*

Unknown to me, between laughing, tears had started to fall out of my eyes. Mom hugged me as tight as she could manage. Crying along with me as Dad explained what happened. Kai had met with a small accident when he reached Paris, and Mom and Dad, who happened to be in France were immediately called for. All these days, he had been stuck there, in some hospital in Paris, and he was finally discharged a few days ago. He had been diagnosed with partial-amnesia.

He had forgotten me, and everything related to me, even Luhan. That’s why they had picked my Luhan from school, in the hopes that seeing him would re-kindle his memories, but sadly it didn’t, not anything about the little life that he cherished so much.

I fell onto the couch, on the same spot that Kai was sitting a few minutes ago...his smell still lingered around, it was the same cologne that I brought him on our 4th anniversary, such a small gift compared to the one he gave me. I smiled at the memory; it was on the same night he had asked me to marry him and later decided to adopt Luhan.

Kai came out of his room, having taken a bath and his hair wet. He took in the scene of the living room. Mom hugging me, both of us in tears, and dad leaning on the kitchen counter, his eyes closed, and in obvious tension.

“Is everything alright? Ma, why are you and Sehun crying?”

Sehun, he said Sehun; not Sehunnie, or Hunnie. He has really forgotten hasn’t he? Even more tears came out of my eyes as it hit me, stabbed my heart. But I have got to stay strong, for Mom and Dad, for Luhan and me, but most importantly for Kai. I am not going to break down now, he can't handle the pressure of knowing his condition in this state.

“Ah...don’t worry too much Kai! your Mom- " she flinched a bit at the word 'your', but I continued on " -was just telling me the stories about my parents. They used to be good friends.” Which wasn’t a lie, though their friendship started only after we became a couple.

“Oh, but why were the two of you crying?”

“My parents died last year....” he looked sorry, and I knew he was. Even though that day he had kept his tears hidden from me and whispered into my ear, telling it’s going be all okay, I knew that he too had cried that night, secretly, in the bathroom when he thought I had fallen asleep. And also, on the day of the funeral, for he too had lost someone dear to him.

I went into the kitchen, in the pretence of heating up dinner, leaving the Kim’s in the living room, to talk. I could hear them talk to him; explaining why he couldn’t just live with them, instead of here with me. After a few arguments here and there, all I heard was silence. I figured that Kai had just stalked off to his room as he usually does when he is annoyed.

 I let out a deep sigh, thinking about the days to come. It’s going to be different. I reached into the top cupboard, which my hands never reach, to take out the plates. It’s usually Kai that takes it out for me. It was his favourite hobby, to creep up behind me, and take those plates, from there, and then trapping me in his embrace, teasing me about my height. Even though we are almost the same height, his hands would reach there and mine wouldn’t. It would just remain mere memories for me now. My Kai doesn't even remember me; hes forgotten us.

My hands didn't reach now either, I couldn't see why it should, it'll always be like that. I decided that I should go get a chair to climb up on and try and take it, but a sudden movement behind me made my body freeze, and I felt someone pressing against me. I didn't need to turn around and check who it was, I could tell from the warmth of the body that it was him, it was Kai.

I let my hand drop back down as he took the plates from the top shelf and placed it  on the table. My heart was beating fast as I turned around to face him, he too was facing me now. I almost thought he was going to tell me that it was all a prank to scare me, and that he does remember me, he opened his mouth to speak, but before any of the words came out of his mouth, I heard Luhan crying from the bedroom, and I rushed there at once, running away from Kai's words. 

I entered my bedroom and found Luhan wailing on the bed, mom was near him. But he ran towards me the moment he saw me, hugging me as I picked him up.

"Daddy, I miss daddy..." he said, tears pouring out of his eyes. "Why does daddy not remember us anymore?" he said even louder "He didn't even hug me when he came to pick me up, he doesn't call me lulu, anymore....I want Daddy back dad...". I turned around alamred at what Luhan had said, in the fear that Kai would've heard. But to my relief I saw that Kai had just entered the room with a bottle of water. He walked towards me, holding out his hands to Luhan, smiling gently.

"Come to uncle lulu-baby, let your dad take some rest...lets go play on the PSP shall we?" he said, coaxing Luhan to stop crying. But what caught all three of us was, lulu-baby, that was our nickname for him, he called him lulu?  maybe he did remember, or maybe he could.

Once again tears were threatening to streaming down my face as I held on to Luhan for support, I wanted to smack Kai on the face and shake him till his memories about me return, and my old Kai is back to me. But right now is not the time, I reluctently let go of Luhan, and Kai had to carried him out of the our room, taking him to the guest room to play.

I looked over at the bed, towards Kai's mother, she looked broken and confused too, seeing me this way was surely a first for her, I closed my eyes, silently praying that she leaves the room so I could just roll over on my bed and let my heart out. And she understood, she slowly made her was to the door, but before she left she turned towards me.

"Sehun, I know this is hard, but please, please don't give up on my son...dont give up hope. I know, I know he will come back to you, you're his home, his hunnie afterall...."

She closed the door as she left. I could hear the rest, outside, eating dinner, and the cleaning up. I slowly moved from the spot I had been rooted to since Kai had left the room with Luhan, and fell onto our bed. Willing the feeling of nausea to go,and begging sleep to take me to a place where my Kai, is Kai.