Accidentally, we met.

Don't you cry, love.

Chaerin 's POV

 

I love tulips. To me, they are the prettiest flowers out there. I believe that most people underestimate their beauty. They overlook them for boring flowers like the common rose. Not like I hate roses, no, in general I like all kinds of flowers. But tulips are special. They are the flowers my father used to get me, replacing the old ones day by day, always varying their colors, never getting tired of them. Back then I didn't understand, but now I cherish them. If only I could bring some to his grave sometime.

I sigh as I avert my gaze from the sky, forcing myself to look at the grey world before me. I wonder how long I'll be able to see it. No, I shouldn't think like that. I force a smile onto my lips as I arise. It has gotten cold already, the sun has set a few minutes ago, and I just felt like watching it. But now I really need to go back to my room, before the nurses notice that I've been outside too long.

Just a few moments later, I am walking down the monotone white corridor. I don't even need to think where I'm going, I know the way too well. How long has it been that I've been transferred here? Too long. And I also don't like my room. It's so boring. As if my whole life is passing with me in here, under protection, but also somehow caged. I reach the door with the awfully familiar number on it. 285. Here I go...

"Omo." The word quietly leaves my lips right after I've entered. In front of the bed, looking at the patient's name, stands a boy, tall and handsome. I've never seen him before. What is someone like him doing here? since I don't know him, I figure he's no visitor. Maybe someone of my past classmates? No, that was a long time ago, I'm sure they don't even remember me anymore. He doesn't seem to have noticed me yet, so I clear my throat. Immediately, his glance finds mine, and he nervously ruffles his hair.

"Um." He seems to have no idea what he's doing here. Somehow he looks like a helpless puppy, so cute. I can't let him be.

"May I ask what you're doing here? Need any help?" I ask, in a very friendly way, and he gradually releases his tension.

"This- isn't Oh Shin's room, right?" I slowly shake my head. No, this is my room, actually.

"Ah, right, it's a girls room... Choi Chaerin." He laughs awkwardly, but interrupts himself quickly. "Are you, by any chance...?" He asks, and I know what he means without him finishing the sentence. I don't know why I lied to him. I don't know why I couldn't tell him that I was Choi Chaerin. All I know is that I did.

"Ah, no, that's my... sister." The boy seems relieved.

"I'm glad then. If you'd been her - it would've been pretty awkward. I mean, it's her room and I entered without permission." His smile catches me off guard. I'm not normally like this, being a liar. I always thought I am a honest person! I had enough time to tell him that I was Chaerin and that I had been joking. Yet again, I didn't.

"Ah-ha-haaa... Yeah..." My laugh sounds as fake as the 'sister' I just made up. An uncomfortable silence develops, until I can't take it anymore.

"Then, this Shin, what's his room number?" The boy tilts his head, as if thinking hard. What he probably does.

"It's not a room number, more like, he has to go through a certain check-up." I nod knowingly. But seriously, how did this guy get here? It was the totally wrong building! If I show him the right place, I might be able to get out a bit longer...

"You know, I'll show you. It'll be a while until Chaerin returns anyway." I give him a grin, and he warmly responds to it.

"I'm Mirae by the way. Nice to meet you!" I bow politely and am surprised at how easily that lie went out of my mouth. I'm pretty good at this. The boy bows down, too, as he introduces himself.

"I'm Oh Sehun. Nice to meet you, too." He pronounces his name weirdly. Not 'Sehun' but 'Thehun'. I chuckle, because it makes him seem even cuter. Like a baby.

"Then, if you'd follow me?"                                

 

***

 

Being of help to someone feels refreshing. Sehun's reserved personality made me feel at ease, too, and for once I was being treated like a normal girl. He smiled at me with an honest smile and no gloomy, hidden thoughts like everyone else. Because my lie prevented him from doing so. He doesn't know about my fate. That's why I felt kinda disappointed when we had to say our goodbyes, but I didn't want to bother him. He was here for his brother, not to keep me company, and I respected that. However, in the end Sehun still managed to bring a smile onto my lips.

I'll be here every week. My brother needs those weekly check-ups. And, hiding his face behind his slender hands, he muttered: Maybe we meet again?

Therefore I am strangely happy when I return to my room, even though the most boring part of the day is just about to start. The lonely evening, that is. Since I'm not allowed to go out after sunset, and my room is a single, there's nothing to do but watch TV. I shrug. As I enter my room, a hyped nurse awaits me.

"Omo, where have you been Chaerin-ah? You know that you can't go out like this!" I sigh, closing the door behind me, preparing my fake smile.

"Aw,  I'm terribly sorry. There was something I needed to take care of." I bow, and the nurse shrugs.

"I'll get scolded for it. Please refrain from it in future." I nod eagerly.

"I promise!" As soon as she leaves, I drop the smile and throw myself onto the bed. The TV has already been , and some music video is playing on screen. The song is quite catchy, and I like the group, too, so I hum along. That's basically how I spend my evening, until one person unexpectedly appears on screen. A person I've seen not long ago. My eyes widen in surprise. The boy dancing on TV, with flawless visuals and soft movements, is no one other than Oh Sehun, the boy I met today! It all comes to my mind in a split second. No wonder his looks are gorgeous. I watched his video until the end, just to see that it was a teaser, promoting a new idol group called EXO.  So he was actually a soon to be celebrity?! Oh my. He really didn't seem like that. A bit too shy and a bit too insecure. But people can change, I guess?

 

Sehun's POV

 

On my way back to the dorms, I can't help but think about that girl, Mirae, that helped me out today. Without her, I probably would've been lost. No, I'm pretty sure I'd have been lost. I don't know that hospital well. It's because my brother transferred here just recently, and I'm the one responsible for his check-ups.  Not that anyone forces me to do it, I do it out of my own will. Shin is the person that I treasure the most, and as his hyung, I need to be there for him. I wish I could be as strong as Mirae though. She was also visiting her sister today, right? Apparently she suffers from a bad illness. Yet Mirae seemed so- bright, cheerful, positive- in general, everything I'm not. Everything I should be, regarding my situation. We will soon debut as EXO-K and EXO-M and I feel like I'm not ready at all. I push open the door and enter the dorm, where some of my hyungs must be asleep already. Only Luhan and Baekhyun are still up, watching what looks like a drama. As soon as the door closes, their heads spin around, and a smile appears on Luhan's face.

"Hunnie!" He calls, and I respond to his smile.

"Neh, I'm back." I sit beside them on the sofa, and Baekhyun asks:

"Did it go well?" Honestly, I don't exactly know, but since the doctor didn't say anything negative, I nod.

"Yeah. Shin's alright." Under Luhan's glance, I grow uncomfortable. He squints his eyes.

"Anything happened? I'm always a bit worried letting you go by yourself. Your sense of orientation is so baaad." He teases, and I chuckle lightly.

"I got lost, but some girl helped me out."

"Oh, I knew it. Then let me accompany you next time!" I shake my head.

"Hyung, we can't attract to much attention, you know? And with you there..." He must've gotten my point, because he pouts and turns his back on me to follow the drama. Baekhyun laughs, I like his laugh. It's so calming.  

"Well maknae, you should get some sleep. Practice starts early tomorrow." I give him a hesitant smile.

"Neh, I will. You shouldn't go to late, too, hyung!" Beakhyun glances at Luhan beside him, who is immersed into the drama.

"I would, if it wasn't for some guy who didn't want to watch his drama alone." I already can imagine the situation that lead to Baekhyun staying here. I bet none of the other members could bring himself to stay up because of a TV show. They were heavy sleepers after all, and knowing our packed schedules even before debut...

So I hurry into the bathroom and get ready to sleep. I enter my room carefully to not wake Suho hyung, but he's fast asleep, so I have no problems in not waking him. As I drop into the pillows, about to fall asleep, my last thought does, for once, not concern Shin or our debut.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------

Mistakes are most likely included since I was too lazy to reread :D