It's Very Real...

Midnight Game

It was eleven fifty at night when JongHyun came up with the foolish idea to play the game known as ‘The Midnight game’. A supposed ancient pagan ritual that was used to punish those who broke the pagan laws although this could be inaccurate as the pagans believe in the threefold return law. Be that as it may, wherever its origin began many will agree that it is advised not to play as it is extremely dangerous and could possibly bring death.

 It’s a game of bravery that begins at midnight and ends at three thirty-three in the morning, the time…HE leaves.

You are only provided with a candle, matches and a container of salt and must walk about the house in the dark with candle lit avoiding…HIM until ending time.

This intrigued JongHyun, it was the perfect game that provided the test of bravery he liked. The possibility of it being dangerous and deadly excited him even more. It would be a thrilling experience for him and his friends, so there was no need for him to have second or even third thoughts to the effects it could have on them all mentally and physically….

To him it was only a game…

After a few minutes of convincing his friends to play, they all sat around his kitchen table staring down at the regulations utilized to play and the materials required. The feeling of excitement blinded them from the true danger they were putting themselves in. If they were smart, they would have went with their better judgment and objected or at least should have questioned JongHyun more on his knowledge of the game yet they did not….something they will later regret. They always do.

Step one: Write your name on a piece of paper.

As instructed, they all grabbed a hold of a pen and a strip of paper and began scribbling their names down. Their handwriting shaky and messy yet readable.

Step two: Place a drop of your blood on the same paper, allowing it to soak in.

All were slightly hesitant. They knew that using blood was risky. Blood is sacred, it’s ones essence…his life. The use of blood was putting a connection between yourself and the spiritual world allowing…whatever to come in contact with you. Maybe they should just stop right here, forget about the whole thing and find something safer to do…instead of going with the former, they pushed on, they were five determined boys and once they set their mind to something they were going to see it through till the end.

Taking hold of one of the needles placed in the center of the table, they gave one another a quick glance before pricking their index finger, hissing at the sudden sharp rupture of pain. They watched as the blood swelled and pooled on their finger before allowing it to drop onto the paper where it instantly seeped it into the papers filament.

Step three: Turn off all the lights in the house then stand at the front door.

To save time, they separated. Each one going through the house and cutting off the lights, their excitement amplifying as every light went out and the darkness slowly began to engulf the home. They were just steps from a night of terror.

Step four: Place paper in front of wooden door. Take candle, light it and place it on top of the paper.

Five dark masses fumbled their way in the dark, slowly making their way to the wooden front door of JongHyun’s home. Kneeling before the entrance, they all placed their papers down before it and struck the match, its light flickering in the dark as it was used to ignite the wick. They sat each of their candles on top of their own paper.

Step five: At 11:59, thirty-eight seconds in, knock on the door twenty-two times. Each knock must correspond with the ticks of the second hand; the final knock must land on twelve. From there you open your door, blow out the candle and close the door. Immediately relight your candle.

MinHo squinted in the dim light to read his watch that now read eleven fifty-eight, twenty-two seconds. They had a minute and sixteen seconds until the game started. They stood in silence, watching as the candle lights flickered calmly in the darkness, the ginger flame illuminating their faces as excitement drifted around them. The thought of the game being dangerous did make them fretful, but they disregarded it…it’s just a game…only a game…

KiBum was the most scared, he did not like horror movies let alone dangerous games. So why was he even playing this one? He opened his mouth to exclude himself out of playing, but it was too late 11:59 was already here.

Inhaling a deep breath, they took a step forward and began. Each tap synchronized with the steady light ticks of the second hand. Their adrenaline rush had reached an all time high when the final knock was made. JinKi opened the door, his trembling hand slowly turned the knob before he pulled it open. The shady midnight scenery met them long enough for them to blow out their candles before the door was closed.

You have now summoned the Midnight Man…

The game has begun…

They must now lurk in utter darkness with only candlelight, matches, and salt avoiding the Midnight Man…

Despite Key’s insistence to want to stay together, they all separated, all five silently walking through the darkened home taking wary glances trying to catch a glimpse of the said Midnight Man. A total of three hours and thirty-three minutes of speculating where he might be…

It was forty-five minutes into the game when they were all startled by the echoing sound of the front door closing. JinKi, whom was near the door in question, stood motionless, his heart pounding in fear at what he just witnessed.

He was here…the Midnight Man had arrived…

JinKi glanced around frantically. Where was he? Was he behind him? Watching him? Slowly making his way towards him at this very moment? He glanced down at his candle, sighing in relief to know that the candle was still glowing garishly.

If your candle were to go out, it is because the Midnight Man is near you. You must relight your candle in the next ten seconds to proceed. If you are unsuccessful in relighting your candle, you must immediately surround yourself in a circle of salt to which you must remain in until 3:33 a.m. If you are unsuccessful in both of these, then The Midnight Man will induce hallucinations of your greatest fear until the end time. If however,  you make it through the game without being in the circle of salt or being attack by the Midnight man…you win.

He stiffened as a light cool breeze brushed past him and he had the sudden feeling of being watched, he didn’t want to turn around out of fear what he might see. A shift in the air told him he was no longer alone, that another being was standing there behind him. He began to panic.

Not him first…not him.

He let out a small yelp as something brushed his sleeve, swiveling around he came face to face with the others. He sighed in liberation.

They were unsure if talking was allowed or not, so instead they decided it was best to remain silent yet even then, they all had the same question. Was it JinKi who had opened and closed the door? When JinKi shook his head, TaeMin let out a sharp gasp, MinHo frowned in displeasure, while JongHyun grinned in excitement. The game actually worked.

Key no longer wanted to play and made his way over to the light switch. He flicked it on, there was a glimmer of light before it blew out. If he and the others had paid closer attention, he would have noticed a dark human silhouette reflected in the mirror hanging along the wall near them. He ran to the living room and tried that light switch even a flashlight, still nothing. He began to panic, what had JongHyun gotten them into?

You can’t just quit when you begin to feel scared, that’s not how this game works. Once it begins, that is it. The test of courage has begun.

It was JongHyun to speak for the first time beginning this game. “You can’t just stop playing, you have to keep going.” He whispered as he began heading down the hallway, “and it’s highly advised we keep moving, don’t want to risk him finding us…if he hasn’t already.” An insinuation of mockery was very blatant in his tone. He was clearly enjoying this.

This occurrence had them on edge; however, regardless of that, they all did as told, once again going their separate ways to avoid the Midnight Man…

You must continue until 3:33 A.M without being attacked by the Midnight man or being trapped within the circle of salt to win the game.

An hour had passed since the first incident though none of them had yet encountered the Midnight Man.

Ten minutes later and still nonentity…

TaeMin was getting tired, his fear and the time was exhausting him minute by minute. He sighed, just two more hours and eighteen minutes to go. He shivered as the temperature around him suddenly dropped to a freezing degree, he glanced around to see if anyone else around him felt the sudden change yet he found himself alone, the closest candle light was at the far end of the hall and heading away from him. He was going to follow, but instead opted to continue in the direction he was going in.

If your candle goes out, you suddenly get very cold, hear low whispering or see a black humanoid figure in the darkness, do know these are signs the Midnight man is near.

He walked a couple more steps before the temperature became so cold he could see his breath drift in the air in front of him. Something was not right, he no longer wanted to be by himself. On the wall, he noticed the casting light from his candle was flickering hastily. He knew that sign, it meant the Midnight Man was near…

TaeMin froze, his heart racing. He glanced around worriedly as he began to walk backwards in the direction he saw the previous light, silently praying the other was still there and that he would make it without his candle going out. “Guys…” His fear got the better of him making his voice nothing but an inaudible murmur. His flight-or-fright mechanism was triggered and he spun around to run; in contrast, in the exact moment a breeze blew out his candle. Sheer panic exploded within his chest as he screamed, he tried desperately to relight his candle yet his trembling hands didn’t allow him too.

8 seconds passed….

When no match lit, he gave up, instead he quickly tossed a circle of salt around himself before collapsing and pulling his knees to his chest and burying his face in between them. He didn’t dare look up even when his friends questioned him about what happened. They should already know… The Midnight Man had begun his reign of terror.

The question now was…who was next?

Thirty minutes into the game…1:45, no one had yet made another circle or seen the Midnight man, but that didn’t mean they were not on the lookout. Key followed behind JinKi closely, after what happened to TaeMin he decided to stick close to someone he knew could protect himself and him. The two stopped short as a candlelight ahead of them blew out, just by the string of curse words they knew it was MinHo. Instinctively, they began counting the seconds. 1…2…3…a dim glow was seen before it disappeared around the corner. JinKi grinned in victory as Key sighed, the Midnight Man lost this round.

1:50…Five minutes later….

The two were in the living room when Key noticed what he thought was movement in his left peripheral vision. Instinctively, he grabbed for JinKi and pointed in the general area he saw the movement. JinKi pulled the younger close to him as both became still, listening to any and everything around them. A dull thud of something bumping a table came from behind them, reacting quickly, they spun around in the direction watching for any movement. Another sound…this time from in front of them. He was taunting them. Purposely scaring them.

As quickly as they came, the noises were no more. After another minute, they continued walking but only after three steps, JinKi tripped over something causing him to stumbled and fall, the impact knocked everything out of his hands and in turn caused his light to go out. He cursed as he scrambled to his feet and he grabbed his candle before searching for his matches.

4 seconds…

He still couldn’t find his matches and his seconds were draining quickly. He could no longer stay silent, he needed Key’s help. “Key I need your matches!” Not wasting anytime, Key complied as he passed his matches over to help his friend out.

7 seconds…

“Jin…” Key gasped taking a step back, his head counting the seconds as the older had yet to relight.

JinKi knew he wasn’t going to make it. He knew it. None of the matches were igniting. “Give me your salt…Hurry!” As quickly as he could, Key tried to pass his salt over to the other, but by then it was already too late…JinKi’s time was up.

JinKi gave the younger boy a look of horror before his head exploded with images of his greatest fears. They were coming at him from all directions. JinKi collapsed to the ground holding his head as he let out the most horrific raspy scream Key ever heard. A mixture of agony and terror. His heart ached at the sight of the normally joking and mischievous JinKi now screaming in fear.

Key just stood there unsure what to do as he watched JinKi thrash his head about while he clawed at his clothes causing rips and his skin to redden from scratches he were inflicting on himself. He didn’t want to leave JinKi yet he didn’t want to stay too long for the Midnight Man. “Key, come on.” MinHo muttered as he grabbed the other by the wrist and pulled him away from the scene.

MinHo glanced back and grimaced at the traumatic state his friend was currently in. His own fear had now spiked to an all time high as he thought of JinKi never being the same after this game ends. When this was all over, he swore he was going to kick JongHyun’s for this.

2:36…58 minutes remain…

JinKi’s agonizing screams could still be heard through the house, Key whimpered as he followed behind JongHyun and MinHo, all three listening helplessly. They couldn’t wait until this was over, they didn’t want to play anymore.

2:53…40 more minutes remain…

They were in the kitchen when all three flames fused out, leaving nothing but a small wisp of smoke. It frightened them, flames just don’t go out instantaneously as theirs did. They needed light and fast.

2 seconds….

JongHyun’s light was lit as was MinHo’s. Both drew a sigh of relief before waiting for Key to light his candle. Each time a spark, but no flame.

7 seconds in…

Still no light. They glanced as each other worriedly before looking to were Key stood, he was struggling to light and he was beginning to panic. “Calm down Key, just calm down and strike the match.” MinHo advised, pleading that at least one of the damn matches will strike.

“I’m trying! I’m trying!” Key panicked. JinKi’s experience flashed in his mind and tears began to brim his eyes, he didn’t want to go through that. He had too many fears…he wouldn’t survive it.

9 seconds…

Key gave up and instantly went to work making a circle of salt before dropping to the floor and pulling himself into the upright fetal position. “I want to go home…” He whispered before crying. JongHyun glanced down at Key somberly as guilt gnawed at his conscience. The reality of his friends fully scared of this game made him regret wanting to play. He was truly sorry.

3:15…Two left…18 minutes to go…

The two walked silently through the hallways, their relief elevated as the end time came nearer…only eighteen minutes left and Midnight Man was no more.

3:30

Three minutes remain…

It was almost over…

Everything around them was now eerily silent, no longer could they hear their own breathing or footsteps. It was as if time itself had stopped. They were coming upon the front door when JongHyun froze in mid-step, his voice hitched within his throat and pure arctic fear trickled down his spine. His heart raced as he reached out and grabbed MinHo, his hand trembling viciously.

MinHo jerked JongHyun’s hand from his shirt as he glared at the other who wasn’t even looking at him, instead JongHyun was focused on something next to him. Following his friends gaze, he looked into the mirror hanging along the wall and thanks to the flickering flame, he could make out his and JongHyun’s reflection as well as a large black silhouette of a man standing behind them, towering over them as he got closer. MinHo’s eyes widen as the fear he had been hiding the past couple of hours finally surfaced. It couldn’t be…

They stood motionless as they watched the silhouette drew nearer, getting larger as it did so…

Those like JongHyun play this because they are foolish enough to believe it’s just a game or used to test one’s courage. Well the truth is…it’s not a game, it’s a true punishment summoning and the Midnight man is very real. Just as you enjoy summoning him, he enjoys hunting you because after all, he knows the truth about his game.

JongHyun heart sank as the sudden sadistic realization hit him. He glanced over at MinHo in defeat, “We were never meant to win…” He whispered as their candles spurted out one last time…