Chapter 12

집 - Home

~

 


    "I don't remember having said the class was over... Back to your places!"
    
    Two girls that were already walking to the classroom's door stopped, sighed, and with a slight blush on their cheeks, they went back to their places. The teacher turned her back to the class and wrote on the chalkboard. Finishing, she clapped her hands to wipe off any dust and glanced at the fifteen girls in front of her, each one of them excited for that annoying bell sound to be heard, because, you know, it was the last week for this period, a thursday, and in the next day there wouldn't be any classes since it was the volleyball tournament, and... well, don't deny it, you would be hell excited as well. The teacher smiled.
    
    "Don't think you are not getting any homework for the spring break."
    Complaints filled the silent classroom, followed by long, heavy sighs.
    "Come on girls" The teacher laughed. "It's going to be fun. It's easy and you have the whole holidays to do it. Besides, it's a pair work. Who doesn't like working in pairs?" The teacher sat down on her desk and searched for a white sheet. "Each group is going to do an assignment about a monument — up to your choice — of the Joseon era and its history. And whoever copies it from wikipedia has to deal with me, are we understood?" The girls nodded. "Form your pairs. There's a group that will have three members. Don't make a ruckus, girls!"
    
    Everyone started to move around, squeals, even screams!, were heard on that classroom.
    Krystal held her breath and puffed up her cheeks. Her seat was on the middle of the classroom, so everything was happening around her. She actually hated this. Probably because she hadn't yet spent time to get to know the other girls and be friends with them besides Jin Ri, Ji Eun and... Amber. She really wanted to do this one with Amber, but she couldn't feel any self-confidence within herself to ask her to be her pair; that's why she only looked forward, avoiding her strong desire of looking behind her, to meet her eyes with the eyes of the blonde one.
    
    "If we add Krystal then we could be the group with the three members!" She heard Jin Ri say on the back of the room next to her, you know, friend.
    "Yeah, you're right. Hey, Krystal!"    

    Krystal sighed, letting out her long breath and slowly turned backwards, only to be met with a flying eraser that hit right on her forehead. "Ow!" She rubbed her forehead and looked around. Amber tilted her head and squinted her eyes. Laid over her desk and on her arms, she stared at Krystal.
    
    "She's with me." She said.
    It took a while for Jin Ri and Ji Eun understand it was for them. Both shrugged. "Okay then."
    Krystal walked to Amber's seat and crossed her arms. "That. Hurt."
    "You have a red thingy here." Amber laughed and got up, pointing to her own forehead. "You look ridiculous."    
    "Aish, it's all because of you!" She covered her forehead.
    "Yeah, right. Sorry?" She slowly touched Krystal's forehead and chuckled.
    "You're not sorry at all."
    "You weren't thinking of betraying me, right?"
    "Betray? Oh, not at all. You could have asked in a softer way, though..."
    
    Amber only laughed.
    The teacher gave out the themes at the same time the bell rang.
    
    "Don't waste your holidays! See you around, girls!"
    "Su...wonhwa...? What?" Krystal grabbed a paper that the teacher handed out to every group and tried to read it.
    "Suwon hwaseong fortress." Amber sighed. "You're worst than an kindergarten student reading..."
    "Yah!" Krystal pouted and hit her on the head with the paper. "It's not my fault, okay?"
    "Own, Soojunggie~" Amber said in a cute, childish voice, and lightly hit with her index finger on Krystal's nose. "That didn't hurt at all, you have to find better ways to hurt me if you want to do so."
    "Who told you I..." Krystal mumbled, walking to her desk to get her things before leaving school.
    "What did you say?"
    "Nothing," Krystal shook her head.
    "You better be good tomorrow on the tournament." Amber carelessly threw the History books to her backpack.
    "I already told you I was in the volleyball association back in California."
    "Can't wait to see that, then." Amber zipped her backpack and threw it over her shoulder. "Well," She sighed and turned to a very tired-looking Krystal, holding her backpack straps. "See you tomorrow?"
    "Yeah!" Krystal nodded, taking her vibrating phone from her pocket. "See you!"    

    From: Johnny
    We are in front of the gate waiting and already have your gym equipment.


    Krystal sighed and slowly walked out of the classroom, her head hanging low.
    
    
    
    "Grandmother," Krystal waited until she swallowed all the food before continuing, not before clearing he throat.

    The old woman turned to her, smiling, like always. She was on the head of the dining table; being the eldest, she needed the minimum of respect. Jack, in front of Krystal, stopped eating and looked at her; Krystal rarely spoke to her grandmother, he found it weird.
    
    "Yes?"
    "Can I bring a friend over?"
    "You have friends?" Jack went back to eating, and said this with his mouth full of rice. Krystal shot him a few glares.
    "Of course, such a silly question. Bring all of them!" The old lady laughed.
    "Thank you." She smiled.
    
    
    
    
    "Who are you bringing?"
    "None of your business, now get out."
    
    Krystal was writing on her notebook or diary or whatever you call it, when the door flung open (and closed, right away) and a very tired Jack entered and collapsed on her bed. He sighed, and both stayed silent for a few moments, only the tip of Krystal's ballpoint pen dancing on the paper was heard.
    
    "Is it that girl that looks like a boy?" Jack's hoarse and sleepy voice filled the room. "The blonde one."
    "Hm." Krystal nodded. Silence again. She decided to turn over to him. "We have a pair work to do, about a... a fortress or something, and I thought we could go visit it."
    "Yeah," Jack ran a hand through his hair. "We could."
    "Not you. We, me and Amber."
    Jack chuckled. "Very funny. You're not going alone, sorry to disappoint you."
    "Why? Why do you guys always have to follow me?" Krystal got up from her chair and sat next to Jack, on her bed. She heard Jack's long, maybe nervous?, breath before answering her.
    "Things are getting worst. Why do you think I'm here with you and not by your Father's side?"
    Krystal bit her lip before laying with her head on Jack's abdomen, throwing her legs along the bed. "How come? I won't... have to move again, right?" Krystal tried to glance at Jack.
    "Nah, I don't think so." Jack looked at her frowning expression; he didn't want to worry her more than what she already was. He approached his hand from her hair, but clenched it into a fist right away. He held his breath before carefully patting her hair.
    "How's Father?"
    "He's good. He said you shouldn't worry about him, but instead focus on school work and on making new friends."
    Krystal sighed. "Jack, a hypothetical situation."
    Jack frowned. "Go ahead, little sis."
    Krystal started playing with her fingers. "If... if by any chance you found out that a person close to you was gay, uh, homosual,  how would you react?"
    "What?" Jack laughed. "Are you planning on coming out?"
    "Yah!" Krystal hit on his leg. He flinched, but didn't complain. "I said it was a hypothetical situation. Now answer me."
    "I... I have no idea. But why are you asking?"
    Krystal got up. "You're useless." She pouted.
    "I don't think I wouldn't have a bad reaction. It's a normal thing, after all, it's that person's choice, right? What can you do besides comprehending him/her?"
    "Isn't it..." Krystal puffed up her cheeks, lost in her thoughts.
    "What's bothering you?" Jack also got up and sat on the edge of the bed, next to Krystal. "You know you can tell me."
    Krystal bit her lip, but managed to smile. "It's nothing, really, my mind is just... too busy with things."
    He got up. "You know..." He put his hands in the pockets of his formal pants and turned to her. "Even though we don't really get along, we are still... siblings, and for how much I hate that word, that condition, you know you can trust me. So whenever you need to talk, or you're bothered over something, don't hesitate in coming to me. I won't force you to do anything, it's up to you if you want my help. I'm here, okay?" He ruffled her hair. "Go to sleep, you have a tournament tomorrow, right?" Krystal nodded, her head hanging low. "You want me to come?" Krystal shook her head. He sighed. "Okay, then. Sleep well."

    He carefully closed the door as he left. Krystal threw herself on the bed. He was making a big deal out of it. But was he really? krystal didn't have many things to worry over, so of course she would still be stuck over an event that happened a few weeks ago (almost a month?), which was Amber's confession of being lesbian. She accepted it. But still... felt really awkward around her. She didn't know how to act, the act natural thing wasn't very easy after all. Especially when her heart would skip a beat over certain things, certain looks, Amber would say/give to her.
    Krystal rolled over and supressed a groan of frustration by burying her head on her hands.

 


 

A/N: I think I'm abusing the italic... Can't help it, sorry xD

Well, in this chapter I think we could take a peek to how Krystal and Jack used to get around each other. Do you sense anything else?

There's a date coming up in the next chapter! ;) Hope you like it and please don't forget to comment~! :)