Chapter 20: The Perfect Groups?

A Perfect Summer?

"Why you?!" Seohyun said to Kyuhyun, frowning. The other simply snickered.

"It's not my fault. We were supposed to go with Leeteuk-sshi and Taeyeon-sshi remember? But that childish noona wanted to talk to him alone so we were left. Don't blame me."

"Why should they leave me with you?" Seohyun murmured to herself. She hasn't forgotten how Cho Kyuhyun trolled her with the apology and now she's supposed to spend the day with him. Alone. She thought going with this guy is more dangerous and scary than going alone.

 

"Yesung-sshi!" she called out but Kyuhyun suddenly put his hand over . She lost balance at the sudden gesture that she fell back, but Kyuhyun used his other hand to catch her. She frowned questioningly at him as she regained her composure and took his hand from her face.

 

"Had you forgotten that we think there are other people here? Don't yell out"  Kyuhyun’s tone indicated warning.

"What? Why?"

His eyes narrowed. "I thought you are smart, you're so slow. What if they hold Yesung captive? And they hear you? They'll know we're looking for him, and locate us and captu--"

"Fine. I get it. Let's go" Seohyun snapped as she resumed walking. 

 

"Our main objective is to find Yesung-sshi, right" Seohyun cleared out after a couple minutes of walking.

"Yes. If we can't, well at least, look for clues to his whereabouts and of... the other people" Kyuhyun answered.

 

"Okay. So let's lay out the rules."

"Rules? What rules? You think this is a game?" he asked, immediately thinking of his precious Starcraft.

"No. But not only games have rules Mr. Cho. It's better this way. Clear and well-enunciated."

 

He simply gazed at her. Unbelievingly. She had so much conviction as she started saying what she had to say. She crossed her arms and started walking.

 

"One. We've got to stick with our objective. To look for Yesung-sshi, or clues at least, and never should we waste time being idle."

"That's pretty obvious..." he murmured as he followed her steps, keeping alert of the surroundings.

"Two. No irresponsible people allowed."

"That's sort of similar to the first one..."

She glared at him. "Okay scratch that. Two. No messing around."

He stifled a laughter as she continued. "No pranks, no jokes, absolutely no fooling around!"

She stopped walking and raised an eyebrow at him, "Understood?"

He swallowed, she had the aura of a discipline officer. "Just two?"

 

She shrugged. "I thought the second one would be hard enough for you..."

 

"Let me add a three." He said.

She blinked.

"Teamwork. Rule number three, all persons in the group should learn to cooperate with each other."

 

She inhaled, "Sure thing." And as she resumed walking, she added without even glancing at him "I forgot. Rule number four...“

Kyuhyun waited as she seemed to choose words.

 

“… Always be careful."

 

That made Kyuhyun smile and whisper to himself "She's something, really, isn't she."

 

---------------------------

 

"Ermm.." Yoona mumbled, unsure of what to say. The other three in their group walked awkwardly and absent-mindedly, practically going in different directions.

 

"Guys, we were supposed to go to the east side" she slowly enunciated, pointing her finger. Jessica, who was facing the left, rolled her eyes as she said "Yeah, I know". Heechul just his lip as he followed Jessica turn to the other side. Their group are the only ones left in the site where they all decided to split off.

 

"We should start looking so we could locate him before dark..." Yoona glanced at the three people behind her.

"I bet Yesung-sshi isn't within this side. Either the north of the woods or the west. We'll just waste efforts!" Heechul shook his head smugly.

"And that hypothesis is based on?" Donghae raised his eyebrows.

"My excellent instincts." the other male shrugged.

"Why are they excellent?" his eyes showed genuine confusion and Jessica, who was standing right beside Heechul, stifled a smile. In her head she could see a younger version of him, but with the same charming emotion-filled eyes.

Heechul, however, suddenly laughed loudly. "I don't want to waste my time explaining it to a kid like you"

 

Yoona started walking. "If you guys don't want to look for him, then I--" but Donghae quickly grabbed her by the wrist. "Wait, let's go together. It might not be safe out there". She smiled as she stared at Donghae's bright eyes. While the smile Jessica was hiding immediately turned into a frown.

 

Heechul looked at her from the corner of his eye. "Aish." he grumbled upon seeing her expression. "Come on come on come on now".

 

-----------------------------

 

The sun blazed overhead. It was already noon and hunger and heat and fatigue started to crawl upon everyone.

 

"I'm hungry~" Hyoyeon sighed. "Let's stop for a bit" Suggests Sungmin as he glanced around the plants and shrubs around them, and upon seeing a clump of the same berries they ate first day, plucked them happily.

 

"Here..." he offered as they sat down at the moist floor. Sunny looked skeptical as she kept rubbing her sandals on the floor. "It's fine to sit here, really" Hyoyeon added, "and don't worry about your dress... It's tattered anyway"

Sunny shrugged good-naturedly and sat down beside Sungmin who gave her a couple of the berries. While happily munching a few berries, Sunny had no clue that something had started moving just a few inches beside her dress...

 

------------------------------

 

"Taeng what is this really all about? We can't leave those kids, you know we are a group and it's our job to--"

"Job. Work. Again. We got trapped in this island and for a second there I thought you'd get a break from being a workaholic. Now it's still a job. You're still talking about jobs. Oppa I--" she inhaled, breathless from muffling her sobs, from walking briskly away from the group.

 

"Come on, weren't you the one who was so frantic about Yesung-sshi yesterday? We should look for him, really Taeng" Leeteuk grabbed her wrist and turned back, ready to pull her along.

 

So he didn't notice? He didn't even realize that it wasn't this problem that I was ranting about yesterday... How clueless could you be, oppa?

 

She sighed as she pulled his grip away. He turned to look at her as she spoke with a soft voice "Are 'jobs' always going to be more important for you? Will I always be placed second?"

 

Leeteuk was unsure of what to say. He inhaled deeply, letting her continue.

 

"Oppa, I know. This is because you want to prove to your dad that you can do it. I know that. I understand. Which is why I'm here to help you... If only you'd let me."

 

Leeteuk answered, his voice warm and calming, "Taeyeon-ah, I know you're there. And I appreciate that. That even though you're from the Kim clan, you disregarded your status to be friends with me. And I'm very thankful you're here. You're my bestfriend, and even like... My sister. So please stop crying." He reached out to wipe the tears in her eyes.

 

She pushed his hand away. "But why do I feel like nothing more than a business partner? Oh. Maybe that's even better than a sister..."

"Taeyeon, what are you saying? I don't understand..."

 

"Yes! You don't understand. You'll never understand!"

"Then help me understand..."

 

She sighed, exhausted. "I. I can't. Anymore..." and she ran away, leaving Leeteuk standing there, confused.

 

--------------------------------

 

"Kyaaaaaa!"

 

Sungmin, Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk were all startled as Sunny began screaming, jumping, brushing away her dress though nothing is on it.

 

"Why? What is it?" Hyoyeon worriedly repeated. Sungmin stood up to hold her by the shoulders, stopping her from panicking. He gazed into her eyes. "Sunny-sshi, why--"

 

He was cut short by a croak. Followed by another. And another. Until about five or more frogs appeared from the shrub where Sunny was sitting before. They all looked at it as Sunny resumed jumping, avoiding the amphibians.

Eunhyuk laughed, "She's like one of them." but he immediately stopped laughing when the others glared at him. Sungmin however seemed to stifle a smile himself.

 

"Sunny-sshi. Calm down, they won't hurt you!" he said.

"Yeah, I remember the kids in my school back then played a game with the frogs" Hyoyeon added.

"What?!" Sunny stopped to gasp unbelievingly. "Game? Gross!"

Sungmin hardly contained his laughter. "Yes. We used to play it back then, right Hyuk-ah?" for a moment, forgetting their quarrel.

 

Eunhyuk winked at her "Sunny-sshi. I used to win there everytime you know." Hyoyeon giggled. "Wow, great! But... You don't know that game Sunny-sshi? The one where the person who catches the most number of frogs wins?"

 

"You... Catch frogs?!" a wide-eyed Sunny asked.

Sungmin smiled, "How about we show you." And with a quick glance at Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon, all three of them started ducking down,  clasping their hands over the slimy medium sized bodies of their new found toys. Sunny moved away, watching them with a mixed feeling of disgust and awe and enjoyment. Which actually surprised her how she could enjoy such a game.

 

Sungmin stood straight first, holding a frog in each of his hands. "I got two!" he announced, laughing and breathless. Hyoyeon noisily squealed everytime she'd miss the frog and finally slumped down, giving up; she watched Eunhyuk instead, his shirt rolled up to contain what he got. Which to Hyoyeon's satisfaction, revealed his abs. He stood up, careful not to let the frogs escape and brought them near Sunny. "Count!" he said, panting.

 

She turned away, afraid but Eunhyuk dropped the others, grabbing one in his hand. He held it near Sunny. "Kiss it princess, he's your Prince Charming!" which made Sunny scream and run away. The three followed her, all laughing happily.

 

"Haha! She's so scared. I used to do it to Jessica too, but she'd just beat the hell out of me. I'd end up getting bruises." Eunhyuk happily said.

"Jessica-sshi? Ah right she was from Mokpo too..." Hyoyeon said as Sunny stopped running and stood a few meters away, waiting for them.

"Yeah." Sungmin answered "And Donghae always lost those games right?"

"He always returns home crying because he lost and he'll ask us to take revenge for him!"

"It is so hard to make him stop crying back then, it's nice Jessica has been there to comfort him."

 

Hyoyeon giggled. "And it's also nice you two made up..."

The brothers glanced at each other and laughed.

"Thanks to the frogs, I guess." Sungmin shrugged.

 

Eunhyuk shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. "Hyung..." 

"Mhm?"

"I... I'm sorry." He mumbled, head bowed.

His brother snickered. Ruffling his dongsaeng's hair, he replied "I'm sorry too."

"Hyung~" He sighed, relieved.

 

"You apologize to her too you fool. You definitely scared her." Sungmin tapped Eunhyuk's shoulder as they reached Sunny. The younger glanced from Sungmin to Sunny and back to his brother. "No need, she didn't kiss the frog but she'd still meet her Prince Charming. She'll even thank me later on, trust me." he winked at his confused hyung while Hyoyeon frowned thoughtfully at his words.

 

"Guys." Sunny crossed her arms "I think I need to remind you about our mission."

Eunhyuk did a salute. "No worries ma'am, we'll now be seriously on duty!" Sungmin and Hyoyeon grinned and the latter raised her fist, "Fighting!"

 

----------------------------

 

Ooh. Have you guys read the mini-announcement I posted before updating this? I hope you did. :)

Well, Sunny's being princess-y here. HAHA. Well she really is a rich kid anyway... And Hyuk and Ming finally made up! Haha. I made the SunSun and HyoHyuk parts real light because they're just cute. ^^ Haha. But things will get messed up later on. ;D

 

How's the SeoKyu moment? And the TaeTeuk moment... Is it kind of complicated? Because Taeyeon's being really ambiguous and vague. Haha. Nothing much with the YoonHaeHeeSica square 'cause that group is sort of crazy. I'll focus on them in next chapters. :)

 

There're still these unanswered questions by the way... What's with the Kim Clan that Taeyeon "disregarded"? Are there really other people as Kyuhyun and Sungmin kept suspecting? And well... where is Yesung, really? Please do subscribe. And I'd love comments on your guesses. Hihi. ;D

 

By the way, thanks for subscribing. I can't believe this fic reached more than 80 subs. *jumps up and down*  HAHAHA. =)))) ♥