A Secret They Only Know

A Secret They Only Know

 

 

 

Everyone probably think it’s fake. A public stunt to promote each other’s faces in the industry. To grab all attention and point it to theirs. But really, it’s not.

When the news first broke out, which was like wild fire by the way, fans, celebrities, even his members were shock (he didn’t really want to tell them because he didn’t want them to be upset). Two young stars, at the peak of their career, are dating! No rumors, no gossips, just several photos posted on an online Korean website and boom! Hello, top news. Even SM Entertainment, the same company with strict rules and restrictions, acknowledged their god-forsaken relationship.

Of course, there were various responses to this madness. Some positive, mostly negative and a few rising doubts. Netizens were sure this was a set up. SM would do all kinds of tricks to get their kids on limelight.

It was mostly disappointment on his part while she took all the blame and hate mails and antis. It wasn’t really fair.

They both decide to ignore it and move on with their lives. It is their relationship after all. No one can tell them who to date and who to disregard. They’re happy with each other.

 

Se-kyung remembers their first date.

It was a late night, almost everyone asleep. She had an exhausting day with the casting of her new movie, Blue Salt. The director didn’t like the attention his female lead was getting. It seemed like a bad image for the movie. She received several scolding when she stutters, forgets her lines or do NGs. She felt like quitting already, her head throbbing with the entire pressure surround her.

But it fades away the moment she sees Jonghyun, sitting on his of her company’s staircase with earphones attached and looking so giddy. He doesn’t notice her presence so she creeps behind him, bends and gives him a light push in the back with a soft, “Boo!”

He snaps his head around, startled and then he’s smiling and excited like a pre-school-er seeing his mom from work. He removes his earphones.

She gives him a shy smile back. “What’re you doing here?” She asks, her voice gentle and soothing to his ears.  

“I,” His voice cracks a little. He hopes she didn’t notice his nervousness. “will personally take you home tonight.”

She restrains the wave of fan girl giggle coming up to her chest. “Does manager oppa know?”

He shakes his head and beams innocently. “Nope. This will be an escape date.”

 

It’s been two months already since they became a couple (not in the public eye) but this will be their first date. Ever. They have been busy with their own schedules; him and SHINee promoting ‘Hello’ and her with a movie. They had no time seeing each other (except on short mornings when they meet and walk), leading to post pone dates. So he surprises her with this.

They walk quietly on the orange street, both answering conversation-starters like ‘how was your day?’ or ‘what did you eat for dinner?’ etc. Se-kyung feels awkward being alone with him even though he’s her boyfriend. It’s probably the nerves, she thinks. Their arms bump against each other and a heavy feeling coming from her beating heart, arises. The urge to hold his hand.

Jonghyun feels the same. He has always wondered what it was like to be able to run his fingers across her palm and intertwine hers with his. He dreams of it sometimes and thinks it would feel nice.

He feels a wispy tug on his sleeve. He looks down and realizes that her hand (more like fingertips) is clutching the hem slightly. They side glance each other (because eye-to-eye seems embarrassing) with a happy hidden message. This is good. Starting slow is good. There’s no rush.

A few minutes later, the atmosphere changes and the entire mood is up. They are both laughing now, white-teeth bearing, cheeks hurting and stomach clutching. His arm is around her neck comfortably while she still holds his sleeve timidly but much closer. They talk about food, movies and he tells jokes too. He is way funnier than Onew anyway (or so he thinks he is).

He puts the headphones on her ears and lets her listen to the songs on his iTouch. He tells them each story behind the songs – why he likes it, how it was written. She notes it all down in her head, remembering every detail of it.

“Sing me something.” Se-kyung requests, batting her lashes in a non-cute way. Jonghyun is hesitant at first but he quickly drowns in her beautiful brown eyes. She is his weakness.

He sings ‘Nothing Better’ by Brown-Eyes Soul. It feels like it’s the only song that can describe their situation – his feelings towards her. She listens to every note that comes out of him.

 

 It always appeared before me

Your face, I remember

My heart that stopped short

You spitefully took my disfunctional heart

And with your bright smile

That's how you easily opened my heart

 

It's true, that is how I became your man

All my unpleasant memories, I no longer recall

Because the hand that holds me tight

Is as warm as spring

 

And now like a dream my heart

Has gradually stopped by your side

Without awakening for a single moment,

I dream an endless dream

 

And now like breathing,

If you were to always rest by my side

If you were to always remain this way

Nothing better nothing better than you

Nothing better nothing better than you

 

It amazes her how he easily captures her heart with his handsome, peaceful voice. The feeling is overwhelming, someone offering a song to you and making you feel special with the matching warm, tingling sensation.

“Wow!” She claps eagerly as he is embarrassed, hearing her praise him. There is a pleasing feeling inside him. Is this how it always feels when you have someone?

“Your turn.” He says, bumping her head with his. He isn’t timid to do any skin ship with her anymore. She doesn’t hate it.

“Eh? No way!” She retorts, elbowing him in the side but he evades before it even reaches.

Yah, you’re pretty violent. So you’re like that, huh?” He teases. He likes this kind of things. Being playful and carefree and happy. This is what he should keep in mind at hard times. Think of only her. “Now, c’mon. Just one short song.” He pleads and shots his cute puppy dog eyes.

She contemplates if she should do it. “No.” She’s not taking any chances, even if he looks cute with those eyes. If there’s anything she’s bad at, it’s singing. She may end up losing him. But seeing how disappointed he looks, maybe she should make a consideration?

“Next time, I promise. I’ll be the one surprising you.” She lets go of her grip on his sleeves and intertwines her free fingers with him.

It will be one heck of a surprise, she thinks. His face lights up and his smile is back on his face again. He holds her hand tight, unwilling to let go.

A black SUV stops right when they are about to cross the road; and Sekyung knows how dead she is. The wind shield rolls down to reveal a man in his late twenties, appearing awfully irritated. It’s her manager.

They have been found out. She bites her lower lip anxiously while his arm timidly snakes away around her shoulder. They look like a normal couple getting caught by a parent outside the school hours.

The manager sighs exasperatedly and shakes his head like a dad saying ‘kids these days’. He probably understands what they are going through so he gives them a few minutes to be alone until he takes his child home.

Jonghyun and Sekyung must part ways now. It’s hard but they have to. How many hours has it been since they have been together? Has it really been that long? It appears like it’s only been ten minutes.

Awkwardness comes back. How do they part ways? It seems so tacky and weird to just wave and bid a goodbye. Should he walk her towards the car or watch her back leave? Do they touch or hug each other? But the most frightening of all, should the kiss?

They both chuckle unceasingly. He scratches his head. She looks around and then at him. Their eyes meet and they laugh again.

“So…” They both say at the same time, making them chuckle again. It’s getting more complex. Why must they part ways?

“This is goodbye, huh?” He starts and she nod discouragingly. Silence falls again.

“Why are we awkward again?” She snickers. They both do. And laughter just makes it comfortable. “I hope we meet soon.” She blurts out. It has been on her mind for a moment and she’s glad she said it.

“Yeah, me too.” Jonghyun takes her hand again, playing with it. He will miss this smooth, flawless hands. “I’ll miss you.”

Sekyung smiles. “I’ll miss you more.”

He embraces her with one more, her hair gently. It’s still a little uncomfortable but difference is, the feelings are expressed. And that’s a good thing. He is about to let go when she surprises him with an attack: a small peck on his cheek.

He is dumbfounded and touches the place where her warm lips landed. His heart is about to melt. He watches her, as she skips in delight, embarrassment and satisfaction towards the van. She turns around one last time and waves at him, her cheeks flushed. “Bye, bye.” She mouths.

“Bye, bye.” He whispers and grins with a smug, slowly walking to his dorm. There’s a sudden urge for him to shout. So he does. Along with jumping and kicking and punching the air like he had just won the lottery.

No actually, it’s a lot better than lottery. He won her heart.

No matter what people say or think about their relationship, he doesn’t care. They both don’t. For them, it’s not a scam to divert the spotlight to them. It’s something they found at a good (some say it’s bad) time. It’s something they both needed from a long time ago.

It’s real and it’s called love.

___

Oh yay! 

I'm thinking of doing another one - regarding the SHINee concert. Tell me what you guys think.

Oh and another cute picture of the two.

Adorable Sekyung cheeks

WHY IS NO ONE READING?!