I'm not going to give up

Speak Up [hiatus, but will finally continue soon]

 

As you might have noticed I portrayed Luhan a few years younger than he actually is – hope you don’t mind^^ – because when I had the idea in my head of this story for a big part it was just needed for the story; and btw he’s still the oldest of all the main guys. Okay, I won’t hold you up any longer, onto some more new characters (keke):

 


Okay, next on the list… He follows the timetable with his finger. Ah, History. He feels like it’s still too early for a class like that. He doesn’t hate History or something, it’s just… always a lot of talking from the teacher and you just have to sit there and listen, for about an hour. He sighs. He can only hope for a miracle or… or just sómething to make the next 60 minutes a bit more fun.

He walks through the halls and eventually enters the classroom. Again a new composition for this class. He’s thinking about where he’s going to sit and just when he wants to walk up to a table in the back, someone puts his backpack on that chair. Luhan looks a bit confused at the… wow, very tall guy. The weird thing is though, the guy sits down at the table next to the one with his bag. Only now he sees Luhan’s face.

“Oh sorry. Do you mind? I would like my friend to sit there, he’s just not here yet.”

“Oh, okay,” Luhan nods understanding now and sits down at the table next to the ‘saved’ one.

“By the way…” the tall guy starts. “Are you new here? If you aren’t, then I’ll have to admit that my brain is a little bit dysfunctional before 12 o’ clock,” he says with a bit of an awkward smile. Luhan laughs, not át him though.

“Well, you don’t have to worry because yes, I ám new here.” The tall guy makes an exaggerated sigh of relief.

“First day?”

“Yeah.”

“Tough?”

“More… strange.”

“Oh really? How come?”

“Channie!” a guy suddenly calls.

At the time Luhan looks up, the guy is already embracing the tall guy tightly.

“Ah, easy man, you’re hurting me,” the tall guy Channie – probably just his nickname – says seriously but still with a smile. The little guy takes a step back again, standing with his back towards Luhan.

“Yeah right, like I could hurt yóu.”

“Yeah, got a point there.” Then the tall guy looks around the little guy to Luhan.

“Hey, I was just talking to a new guy here. His… What’s your name actually?”

“Oh, I’m Luhan,” he says with a gentle smile.

“I’m Chanyeol and this is…” he says so the other guy can finish it.

“Luhan.”

“No, you mean Bae-”

“Luhan!” the little guy almost screams and he walks up to Luhan to hug him, even more tightly than he hugged Chanyeol.

“Now this, Chanyeol, is as weird as my whole morning has been,” Luhan says while being squeezed causing Chanyeol to laugh, but it’s obvious he doesn’t understand either. Finally the little guy let’s Luhan go, sort of, and lays his hands on Luhan’s shoulders.

“Luhan it’s me, Baekhyun!”

Luhan freezes. His eyes get huge. Then he simply hugs Baekhyun again like they didn’t hug just yet, like it was a whole different person he was hugging now.

“Ah Luhan! My…” Luhan quickly steps back.

“Baekh… I… I-I don’t… How… I don’t know what to say!”

“Me neither!” Baekhyun admits.

“Me neither…” Chanyeol softly says joking while looking at both guys. Baekhyun laughs softly.

“This, Chanyeol…” he starts while trying to wrap his arm around Luhan’s neck before realizing he’s actually too short to do that. “is my ‘former’ best friend. Don’t worry, you’re still my best friend nów,” he says with a bright but meant smile.

“But we were truly best friends when we were young.”

“Yeah, but then sómeone had to move,” Luhan adds accusing before looking at Baekhyun.

“Yah, my parents wanted to move and I was very young so I had no choice or opinion on it whatsoever,” he says with folded arms, a little bit sad but proud about his defense.

“I know Baek, I know.”

“What? Could someone just… Could you please explain me?” Chanyeol asks a bit nagging. Baekhyun and Luhan look at each other for a moment and then back to Chanyeol.

“Well…” Baekhyun starts again. “So… we used to live in the same street, we went to the same elementary school and especially our parents were good friends. Our father worked at the same company at that time. That’s sort of how we got to meet and um… Well, then… Then my father quit his old job and got a different job, a better one, and so as they saw it we had no choice but to move.”

A short silence enters.

“We did keep contact actually, in the beginning, but… The distance became a problem more and more; we just háted that we couldn’t go see each other and such a long-distance friendship was just not fun anymore and eventually we got such different lives and got so busy that… Yeah.”

“I actually quite regret we ended up never speaking to each other again,” Luhan says truly sad while realizing.

“Yeah, me too. I wonder… in all these years… what we’ve missed!” Baekhyun suddenly says happy and most of all curious. “You and I really got some talking to do my friend,” he said just before the teacher slammed classroom door shut. “Aww,” Baekhyun pouts.

They immediately get back to their seats and unpack their books, which they hadn’t even done yet. But when the teacher starts talking, they immediately look at each other again.

“But um, Luhan…” Baekhyun starts softly, Chanyeol looking as well. “Of course there are a lot of questions to ask right now, but maybe I should first ask what you think of the place,” he indicates, unaware of what conversation that simple question would trigger.

“Well, I um… I’ve actually only been here for a few days, but… the house and everything seems nice, we’ve unpacked a great part of our stuff already, and this is my first day of school but…” Luhan hesitates about how he should tell… and actually íf he should tell. “It started a little strange, to be honest.”

“Oh right,” Chanyeol remembered. “I asked him why just before yóu arrived Baek. So why was that exactly?” Hmm…

“I just ran into this guy, right before the first class, and… It was a really weird guy, he… I accidentally bumped into him while I was trying to find the right classroom and first he started scolding me and then he was suddenly being all… I don’t know what it was actually; he suddenly called me pretty face and was very interested about me and… and was teasing and smirking and…” he kept going trying to find the right words for something he still just couldn’t grasp.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol share only a two-seconds look but it’s like they know exactly what the other thinks.

“I think we know who you mean,” Baekhyun then says, a bit suspiciously.

Luhan looked up a bit surprised; he didn’t even tell the name of the guy yet. He réally hoped Kai’s behavior wasn’t like normal or something here.

“That’s Kai.”

“Yeah you’re right. How did you know?” Luhan asks.

“Do you know his name already?”

“Well… yeah, he told me.”

“And he called you pretty face?” Chanyeol joins in while chuckling just a little.

“Yah, I had no choice or opinion on that whatsoever,” Luhan says sneakily repeating Baekhyun’s words, even though he meant them.

“Yeah okay, okay,” Chanyeol gives in understanding very well. “He kind of likes to be in control. But you better watch out, he can be really possessive.”

“So?” Luhan asks a little curious why that would be a real problem.

“So?” Baekhyun repeats. “Kai is like thé ‘tease’ in school here. He loves to tease people and at first he seems like a… well, quite cute and charming guy.”

“Yep, he hás got his charms,” Chanyeol admits while nodding slightly, like it’s just a true fact.

“But he’s actually the opposite of that; trust me, he did it with me too,” Baekhyun continues. “He’s the most arrogant you’ll ever meet.” Luhan does want to believe him, but it can’t be like… thát bad, right? He was weird, yes, but… He gives Baekhyun a look like that says Are you really sure of that? and Baekhyun answers it with a sigh.

“He’s just a big jerk okay! Don’t let him get to you cause when he likes someone or at least likes to he will not let you get away easily.” He chuckles. “The only reason actually why he stopped teasing mé was, believe it or not, because of Chanyeol.”

“Yeah, well I’m very scary right?” Chanyeol adds with a funny smirk on his face.

“Kai wasn’t very fond of his height already and when Chanyeol once really got angry and talked back to him, it kind of scared him off, I guess.”

“So… So now he just completely leaves you alone?” Luhan asks for certainty.

“Well, he does still give me weird looks and things like that sometimes, but let’s say it’s always at a good distance,” Baekhyun says sort of relieved.

“But of course, how he teased Baekhyun was actually nothing compared to how he teases… some certain people,” Chanyeol says suddenly realizing he might be telling a bit too much, giving a bit of a turn to the story.

“What then? And who?” Luhan asks kind of curious as Chanyeol said it, even though maybe unintentionally, in such a pretty suspicious way.

“Um… Actually there is just one person,” Baekhyun decides to continue, but both he and Chanyeol aren’t sure of how much they should tell. By the way, it’s also Luhan’s first day here; he should just be able to normally go to school without having to worry and stuff immediately. They both press their lips together for a moment as they see Luhan is getting more curious by the second.

“There is this boy, Sehun. He’s in the same grade as us. He only… doesn’t really talk that much, has no friends at all and… He’s just such an easy target for Kai since he doesn’t say and barely does anything about his teasing. No one really knows what’s going on with him, but as I said he isn’t that social. Almost everyone thinks he’s a creep but there are still sóme people who do care and are curious about what’s going on with him, including me and Chanyeol, but… Chanyeol has tried to talk to him, twice, and the result? Nothing. Barely even a physical reaction. I just… I would have no idea how to approach this guy,” Baekhyun sighs while holding his neck and looking forward, lightly shaking his head. Luhan too looks forward and thinks. Everything he heard just yet, in not even two minutes, it’s just… Wow, heavy stuff.

“I would’ve never thought Kai was such a-”

“Hey, how are you girls doing back there, nicely chitchatting like that?” the teacher asks exaggerating with an obviously fake smile. “Please, get back to the real world and pay attention.”

All three guys look at each other for just a second, like they’ve unanimously decided that they’re going to get in trouble if they don’t pay attention by now, and this time really start to listen to the teacher’s story. Except for Luhan. Luhan still thinks. That Sehun… He doesn’t know why but he’s so incredibly curious about him. Do they have any classes together? He wonders. But wait… Maybe he has seen him already, without knowing it was him. He would actually still want to ask Baekhyun and Chanyeol for a physical description, but that moment has past now. He sighs. Next classes he’s just going to pay really good attention to his classmates. If this guy really pops out in the crowd, as he seems to, then he must be able to spot him.

 

Luhan is so happy. He’s so glad he has found Baekhyun, and Chanyeol too by the way, making the classes as well as the breaks ten times more fun than it would’ve been without them. Still softly laughing about a joke Baekhyun just told he’s on his way to class. He almost forgot but the moment he walks through the door it hits him again. Okay Luhan, don’t forget, you have to focus; find out where and who that Sehun is and if you see Kai: watch out, he tells himself trying to put it in his head to never let it out again.

He has accepted long time ago that he wasn’t going to be able to focus in class so he just keeps looking around and watches close to every guy’s behavior. The last two classes he didn’t notice anything really weird yet and this class he still doesn’t. But accidentally the teacher changes that.

“Okay, now take exercise 5 in front of you please. Sehun, could you… Oh. Sorry, I meant um…”

Luhan didn’t listen anymore after that. Sehun… She said Sehun. . He can’t see who she’s looking at but… Oh, there! But wait… That… That’s the guy he saw before this morning, the guy who accidentally walked into the wrong classroom. Right now he can only see his back and a little part of the side of his face. It doesn’t seem like the teacher’s previous line really bothered him, he’s just calmly writing or drawing something in his workbook. When suddenly a loud boom is heard from the door of a different classroom being slammed, the dark-brown haired boy looks to the side so Luhan can see a big part of his – he can’t believe he didn’t see that before – beautiful face; his eyes a little big of surprise, a bit covered by his bangs, a milky white skin, his lips parted just a little. One of the first things that come up in Luhan’s head is: How could anyone call this… gorgeous being a creep?

When the boy looks forward again, Luhan surprises himself with a soft little noise of disappointment passing his lips. At the time he gets back to his senses again he already hears the bell ring. Sehun seems just as surprised as he is since he looks up to where the sound is coming from.

Pretty quickly the classroom runs empty. This is his chance. Sehun still has to pack all of his stuff and as he does that quite slowly, Luhan packs his own stuff as quick as he can and, a little hesitantly maybe, walks up to him. By now everyone else has left the classroom already.

“Um… Hi,” he starts gently, with his hands behind his back. To his surprise, he sees a little shock going through Sehun’s body and he stops packing for a moment. “Oh um… Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” Sehun says nothing and doesn’t even look at him, he just continues packing.

“Hey, is this yours?” Luhan asks softly when he sees a jacket laying on the ground – probably fell off his chair – before picking it up for him. For a moment Sehun looks up and at the jacket and then just takes it, again without even glancing at him. Um… Okay. He remembers Baekhyun saying he doesn’t talks that much, but… this is just getting a bit rude.

“Well um… You’re welcome,” is the last thing he says. Just when he has decided to walk away, Sehun is already on his way and quickly, but not running, walks out of the classroom first. Well, guess my enthusiasm was kind of undeserved…

 

As the break has arrived Luhan starts his search for Baekhyun and Chanyeol, for several reasons now. Then he suddenly sees Kai, at the end of the hall. Luckily he doesn’t see him yet, so he decides to just turn around and walk away like it’s normal, but when he actually turns around he already bumps into Baekhyun.

“Wow. Oh, Luhan!” he says happy before laughing a bit awkwardly. And of course, Chanyeol is standing right next to him. Luhan chuckles softly, just at the sight of those two together.

“Come on, let’s head out the other way,” Chanyeol says with a low voice. Luhan knows why.

“Yeah, I spotted him too. That’s why I suddenly turned around just yet,” he’s explains, ending with a funny smile. Baekhyun nods understanding before he shows a bit of his famous eye smile.

“Wow Baekhyun, I never thought you’d still have that gorgeous eye smile,” Luhan says happily surprised, exaggerating just a little bit. Baekhyun looks a little surprised about the comment and a light blush appears on his cheeks.

“Well thank you,” he then just decides to say as he doesn’t really know how to react.

Wait… What was I going to ask them again? Right!

“Um… Guys? About that Sehun…” Both of them immediately look at him. “I just had class with him and…” Baekhyun wants to stop Luhan from going on as he thinks he already knows what he’s going to tell, but he holds himself.

“And..?”

“Well, I kind of walked up to him and… First I didn’t really understand why anyone would think he’s a creep and it’s not like I think that already but he was just… he was being kind of rude. I mean… He also didn’t look at me for ónce.”

“Okay Luhan,” Baekhyun starts as he can’t stop himself anymore. He’ll just tell. “When I said Sehun doesn’t talk that much… What I was áctually saying was that he doesn’t talk at all.” Luhan keeps looking a little confused. “Like never. Ever! He doesn’t say a word! Not a single person in this school has heard him speak, not once. Who would really think he’s a creep if he just ‘wasn’t really the talker’? No one cares. But this… this is different. He seems to hide himself from everyone around him. I think that hás to be it since he barely ever shows emotion on his face. As I said, only a few people have talked to him before and in all years on this school, no one has managed to make him speak yet; no teacher, no student, no one.” He pauses for a moment. “Do you get it now?” Luhan thinks for a moment.

“Yeah, I do.”

“Well… Good.”

“But I’m not going to give up.”

“What?” Baekhyun and Chanyeol ask simultaneously.

“I’m just not going to give up.”

Baekhyun looks at Luhan for a while. He sees something in the look in his eyes; something about that boy really got to him. He’s dying to ask a question about it, but in the end he decides not to.

“Okay. As you wish. You know, actually I think it’s kind of exciting, someone taking a shot again and maybe even succeeding.” Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with a crooked head as he doesn’t really understand why he’s being like that. It’s impossible to make Sehun talk, right? Then why would he encourage Luhan like this? Luhan just nods for a moment and a little smile appears on his face.

“Yes. Yes, I’m really going to do it. And I don’t care how much or how long it takes me. I’m going to make him speak. I’m going to make Sehun speak.”