Chapter 4

My Darling, Fly High

Ever since the day Minhee threw up all over Wu Fan, it had been awkward. Minhee let Wu Fan sleep in the living room while Wu Fan diligently helped out with the human chores that he became increasingly fascinated with.

“How inconvenient. So many pots and pans to clean. Why do you humans use them?” He had asked.

“Well how do you dragons cook food?”

“We don’t even need a stove. We can just char our food with fire from our dragon ki and—“ he stopped once he realized, “Oh.”

Minhee shook her head. He may be very capable, hardworking, and loyal, but sometimes, he’s a little slow.

 

Regardless, it was the weekend and Minhee could finally breathe. Having successfully navigated herself through the workplace so as to avoid Jongin for the rest of the week, she felt extremely smug. Although she’d eventually have to consult with him for the new project, she’ll put that off for a little longer, she decided.

Oh, and apparently that so-called girlfriend of his wasn’t even his girlfriend. Yoo Eunmi was her name. According to Jongin she was some crazy stalker that was under the impression that just because he talked to her that she was his girlfriend. Of course, Minhee knows better that Jongin couldn’t have just been “talking” to have her think that way. Minhee knew Jongin. He would flirt to no end and honestly, it really does mess up a girl’s head. Well it certainly did for her.

Whatever, that was the least of her worries.

What became her priority nowadays was to help the dragon that was living with her to find a girlfriend so he can turn human and so she could stop having to house him.

Yeap, if she told that to anyone, they wouldn’t even hesitate to call up the mental ward.

 

Minhee sighed as she plopped herself down on the couch opposite Wu Fan who had been sitting there patiently waiting for her.

Silence filled the air.

“Well—“

“I—“

They both started, then stopped, looked at each other, then looked away.

 

“So—“

“How—“

Minhee cleared , “You wanna go first?”

Wu Fan shook his head and gestured for her to go ahead. She nodded, “Well…it’s finally the weekend.”

Silence. He nodded.

She paused. “You’ve done your share of the chores and as promised, I’ll help you with your mission. Since…well…I’m your host and all.”

He nodded once more.

She hesitated, “Uhh…I’m not exactly sure how I’m supposed to do this…but most of my friends are taken anyways…but I have a feeling that blind dates aren’t going to go well so…”

“It’s okay. You can just take me to a place where people usually go for dates. I’ll observe how couples behave and we’ll go from there.” Wu Fan suggested.

“But later on...how are you going to find someone?”

“Well,” Wu Fan raised the side of his mouth in what could be interpreted as a grin if Minhee didn’t know better, “as you can see, I’m not exactly ugly as a human.”

Oh gawd, Minhee thought as she mentally rolled her eyes, well at least he knows he’s gorgeous.

“Hmm…there’s always the amusement park…” Minhee pondered aloud.

“Sure, let’s go there,” Wu Fan immediately stood up and walked towards the door.

Minhee stared after him. He sure seems eager. Well, she thought as she shrugged and stood up herself, if she had been a dragon wanting to turn into a human given a time limit, she’d be pretty darn eager too.

 

Wu Fan grimaced as they stood in the middle of Korea’s largest amusement park, “It’s really loud in here.”

Minhee looked around casually, “Is it? I think it’s okay.”

“Dragons have sensitive ears,” he replied.

Minhee made a face. Dragons this, dragons that. Well too bad, he’s in his human form now.

She looked around the area and started to get excited like a little child. Growing up, Minhee never really got to go to places like this with her parents as they were always so busy making sure that they had enough to get by. She never really felt bitter about it because she knew they were just doing what’s best for her, but she could never get rid of that empty feeling when she thinks back to her childhood.

 

Minhee turned to Wu Fan and tugged on his arm gently, “Let’s go ride that.” She pointed at the main attraction roller coaster.

Wu Fan’s gaze followed the direction that she was pointing to and immediately took a step back.

“C’mon, c’mon, let’s go!!” Excitement welled up in Minhee.

“I’m here to do research, not to ride those contraptions,” Wu Fan explained.

Minhee pouted, “Yah, don’t be such a party-pooper.”

He remained stiff.

Minhee rolled her eyes, “Ok look, couples ride stuff like that all the time! They hold hands and hug and embrace on those rides! Ok lemme give you some priceless advice. Girls will be incredibly scared so the guys will take this chance and be all tough and manly and hold onto the girl. In return, the girl will feel protected and safe and will feel that the guy’s so much more attractive and capable and voila! You have a happy couple!”

Okay, she might’ve over-simplified things a little, but hey, she really wanted to ride that ride…

“I think—uhh..maybe next time,” Wu Fan coughed and turned to walk the other direction.

“Just one moment!” Minhee pulled his shirt sleeve and he stumbled back. She looked up at him suspiciously, “Are you scared?”

Wu Fan stiffened, “No.”

Minhee grinned, then smiled, then burst out laughing, “YOU ARE, YES YOU ARE! You’re SCARED! PUAHAHHAHAHAHA”

Wu Fan, startled, looked around at the people stopping to stare and quickly clamped one hand over Minhee’s mouth.

Wheezing as her laughters died down, Minhee removed his hand from , “Stop it, your hand’s too warm!”

“Be quiet,” Wu Fan urged as he straightened himself while looking around.

“Then ride that with me,” Minhee pointed once again to the roller coaster.

He remained silent.

“Oh c’mon, you’re a dragon for goodness sake. How can you be scared of heights?!”

Wu Fan scowled, “Well I’m in human form in the daytime, aren’t I?” He gestured at his arms, “No wings, just red marks on these frail human arms where wings would’ve been.”

Minhee eyes widened as she studied his arms and to her surprise, there were two red marks on his upper arms. To anyone else, they would’ve looked like light scars from an accident.

Curious, she lightly grazed her fingers over it. It tingled and was hot to the touch. Startled, Minhee stepped back, “So you’ll have these marks when you’re in human form?”

He nodded, “Yes. But once I turn human, all traces of my dragon ki will disappear, including these marks.”

Minhee nodded her head slowly in awe, then stared back up at him again, “Yeap, okay. That’s very interesting and all, but you’re riding that ride with me.”

Wu Fan stood firm, “No.”

 

-5 minutes later-

 

“T-this contraption is safe, right?” Wu Fan gripped Minhee’s arm tightly as they ascended.

Minhee laughed as she pointed to the safety belts, “See those?” Wu Fan nodded slowly, “Yeap, those will keep you safe, don’t worry.”

Wu Fan took a deep breath and leaned back in his seat, then leaned forward again as he surveyed the sight.

“We’re going tremendously high. A-are we supposed to be this high up? What if we fall? What if---“

Minhee clamped her hands on both sides of his cheeks so that he’s staring right at her, “Listen,” He nodded, still in her grip, “we are 100%--no—110% percent safe, alright? Yes, it’s supposed to be this high and no we won’t fall out of this ride. Are you with me?” He didn’t move, “Alright, I want you to close your eyes and count to 10 slowly. Just sit back and relax.”

Reluctantly, he did as she said.

“10—9—8—“

Minhee shook her head as she watched Wu Fan with his eyes shut tightly, still gripping her arm as if he was never going to let go, sitting rigidly and counting.

“This isn’t so bad. 5—4—3—“ Wu Fan said.

Minhee smiled, here it comes.

“2—1—AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHASDKAJHAKSJDHASKJDHLAKJSFHKA!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

------------------

They sat on a bench nearby the roller coaster as they looked at the polaroid photo that they bought of the picture it took when they were on the ride.

Minhee burst out laughing, “LOOK! HAHAHHAHA, it looks like you’re crying!!”

Wu Fan remained stiff, his hair slightly ruffled, and his eyes look traumatized.

Calming down, Minhee smiled cheesily at him, “Better now?”

He didn’t move, but his eyes glared at her.

“Oh c’mon, that was fun, wasn’t it?” Minhee giggled.

He shook his head, still glaring at her.

Minhee put her hands on her hips, “Didn’t you learn a lot from that? See, all the couples in front of us and behind us were holding each other! Well, of course, in their situation, the guy was calming down the girl while in ours—“ Minhee burst out laughing again, “But don’t feel too bad. At least you didn’t throw up or anything.” Trying to stifle her laughter, Minhee grinned.

“Just like how you did a few nights ago?” Wu Fan stared at her, no longer sulking, with a hint of triumphance in his eyes, “Allllll over me?”

Minhee immediately stopped laughing as she cleared and looked away.

Wu Fan grinned quietly.

Ding dong. K-O.

 

“Well it appears that I have learned nothing so far,” Wu Fan muttered accusingly.

Minhee turned to him and sighed, “Okay, I’ll teach you a few things then.” She proceed to gesture at nearby couples,  pointing out some common behaviourisms and traits.

As if studying for an exam, Wu Fan nodded and concentrated hard, trying to remember all the details.

After a few minutes, Wu Fan paused, “So then what do you do to show affection?”

Minhee tilted her head, “Well there are lots of ways. For example, you can hold hands like this,” MInhee clasped her hand in his to demonstrate, “you can hug each other like this,” Minhee gave him a quick embrace, “The girl can lean her head on the guy’s shoulder like this,” Minhee rested her head gently on his shoulder, “or you can—“ Minhee tilted her head up from his shoulder and stared right into his deep eyes. His face was only a few centimetres away from hers. He had been leaning in, observing her.

“You can what?” Wu Fan asked, waiting for her to finish her sentence.

“You can…” Minhee stuttered as she lost herself in his eyes, her lips painfully close to touching his.

“Can…?”

“Kiss,” Minhee finished abruptly, and then proceeded to lean forward and do just that.

 

__________________________

lalalalla~~ how do you guys like the poster + background? :D

And yeap, I realize that up to now we haven't really examined our female protagonist in much detail appearance-wise. Welllllll, next chap is going to progress from bishface's point of view :D

 

Leave me comments? pwetty pwease? :)