Chapter 1:

My Darling, Fly High

A reluctant tear trickled down Minhee’s cheek as she stepped mindlessly across the sodden pavement. Heavy raindrops thudded like small rocks against her frail umbrella.

Today was their 2 year anniversary. No. Would’ve been.

That damn bastard.

 

She wiped her tear away angrily as she felt water leak in through her heels. Of all the days she could have chosen to wear her new brand-name stilettos, it had to be the odd summer day when it decided to pour.

In spite, she stomped madly in the puddles, creating more of a mess.

“Kim Jongin, you rotten stinky two-timing poohead!!” She screamed into the dark night. In the midst of releasing her angst, a large gust of wind loosened her grip on her umbrella, causing it to tumble this way and that across the deserted street.  She winced as the large raindrops pelted her petite body from all sides. Sniffing and now crying hysterically, she looked up.

“You’re crying?” She shouted to the night sky , “Well so am I!!!”

A distant roar of thunder was her answer.

Sensing movement, she looked to her left and to her horror saw a couple standing under a large frilly umbrella staring at her in shock before they hesitantly started walking again.

“Jwesonghamnida,” she bowed by instinct although the couple had long since moved on.

She sighed as she took off her kill heels and started the barefoot trek home.

 

--

“How long has it been?” Minhee demanded.

“Mm?”

She glared at him, “How long has it been since you were with her?”

Jongin shrugged nonchalantly as he gave little effort to remember, “Ehh, maybe a few months ago?”

“A FEW MONTHS AGO?!” She clenched her fists to hold herself back from lashing out at him.

The man held his hands out as if to defend himself, “Whoa, calm down sweetie. I thought we were both open-minded people.”

“Open-min--,” Minhee scoffed, incredulous, “Is cheating your definition of open –freaking-minded?!”

He paused, then chuckled softly, “How can you blame me? You know how I am, always in need of something new and exciting to pique my interest. Don’t take it personally.”

Minhee seethed silently.

He put a hand on her shoulder as if to console her, “Let’s take it as good experience, eo? We’re both sensible people. Let’s be cool about this.”

And with that, he swung his leather jacket across his shoulder as he walked the other way, raising a one-handed peace-sign as a departing gesture without looking back.

Minhee had cried for weeks.

 

--

Tired and drained from her mini episode on the side of the road, she impatiently locked the door sloppily behind her as she entered her apartment suite.

Shower, I need a shower.

Tossing her purse and jacket onto the small beige rug beside her bed, she absent-mindedly reached for a clean set of clothes. She glanced at the strewn mess. She’ll clean it up later.

Exhausted, she half-dragged herself to her bathroom, lightly swinging the bathroom door shut behind her, not that it really mattered. She was the only one that lived here anyways. Well, besides Jongin. He would often stay over on the weekends and they’d cuddle…and do other stuff. But that was the past, the ugly, stupid, gross past. She made a face as she thought back to the time wasted on that jerk.

But aside from him and a few select friends, her suite was relatively untouched. Her parents were overseas, working on some sort of business project that’s to be launched next year while she herself worked diligently in a small and modest office stall. Market research. Not the most exciting job, but it was good enough.

 

Minhee sighed, fatigued, as she began ing, shaking her head in the mirror as if to reprimand herself for the day’s events. She was in the midst of taking off her cardigan when she noticed something wasn’t right.

Tilting her head in confusion, she looked back up into the mirror, carefully this time when she suddenly widened her eyes. She wasn’t alone.

Someone had been watching her.

Shaking, she pointed a finger at his reflection.

It was a man. Tall.

Not to mention, stark .

It was then that she proceeded to let out the most ear-piercing scream.

 

______________________________

 

Sowwie. A quite crappy and short start of the story, this is.