The Busan girl

First cut is the deepest

 

It’s your first day of high school and you knew no one. Your family has just recently moved from Busan to Naju two weeks ago because of your Appa’s job. You feel nervous. Everyone was staring at you weirdly as you walk towards the principal’s office. You quickened your pace, not comfortable with all the stares. Suddenly, you bump into someone and he fell to the ground.

 

“Ouch! That hurts,” he groans.

“I am sorry. I am really sorry! I was in a rush. I didn’t see you and I …”

“It’s alright. As long as I’m not bleeding you won’t be sued. Haha.”

“….??”

“Hey. You okay?”

“Ah Yes? What? Oh I am fine. Sorry again for bumping into you like that.”

“It’s fine. , I’m late!!” He quickly ran away.

 

It took you awhile to find the principal’s office since it’s quite hidden.

*knock knock

 

“Come in.”

“Err Anyeonghaseyo. I came to see the principal.”

“Why do you want to see me?”

“I am Kim _____. A new transfer student from Busan.”

“Oh. You’re Kim ____. Sit down, please. You’re late. Were you lost?”

“Kamsahamnida. Yes I was lost. This school is too big”

“It’s okay since this is your first time but next time I won’t be too nice. Arasso?”

“I understand and I deeply apologised”

“I’ll bring you to your class. Let’s go”

 

Your class is on the second floor. Whilst walking you notice there were no students hanging out at the hallway and the school was clean too. Your previous school in Busan was very different. Noises and sights of naughty students being chased by the disciplinary teachers were a norm. Appa and Omma told you this school was one of the best in South Jeolla Province.

 

“I guess smart school really is different,” you thought to yourself.

“We have arrived. Please go in. The teacher will help you,” said the principal.

“Ne. Kamsahamnida.”

 

You walked into the class nervously and greet the teacher.

 

“Okay class today we have a new transfer student. Please be nice to her. _____-ah, go ahead and introduce yourself,” said Ms. Park.

“Anyeonghaseyo yeorobun. My name is Kim ____. I am from Busan. Nice to meet you all. Please take care of me.”

 

You heard quiet chatters from the student. Suddenly,

 

“Can you speak in Busan dialect?” tease a male student in a very awkward imitation of Busan accent.

 

The class burst into loud noises and you were attacked with so many questions. You were dumbfounded. Luckily, Ms. Park came to the rescue and scolded them for not minding their manners. Your seat was way back and next to the window. You sat alone.