05

The Last Goodbye

‘Oppa, I’m scared.’ Sulli wrote, as she snuggled closer to Taemin.

 

Taemin tensed, as the forbidden topic was brought up yet again. He knew that time was running out, and that’s why he had spent every second of his time with Sulli. He knew that Sulli was dying, and that there was no way she can be cured.

 

He knew all these, but he refused to think about it. The thought of losing her was too painful, and he was afraid that by embracing the fact that Death would soon take Sulli away, he would lose what is left of his sanity.

 

‘I don’t want to die.’ Sulli wrote, as tears rolled down her cheeks.

 

As his heart clenched painfully, he gently wiped the tears away. He leaned in and kissed her on the lips, and Sulli calm down a little.

 

‘Stay… stay with me till the very end.’ Sulli wrote once more, before burying her head in Taemin’s chest, sobbing silently.

 

“I will…” Taemin whispered, as tears started to form in his eyes. It was just too unfair. Why Sulli? Why must she leave so soon?

 

And the illness… it was the same illness that his Mom died from.

 


 

‘I think… I think I’m not scared. Not anymore’ Sulli wrote, gazing at Taemin with determination in her eyes.

 

‘And… I think I’m ready. I don’t want to feel the pain any longer.’ She continued, as Taemin looked back at her in shock.

 

‘I’m going to tell the doctors to put me to sleep.’ Sulli finished. For a moment, uncertainty and fright was shown on her face, but it vanished in an instance.

 

“Ssul…” Taemin uttered out, as he hugged Sulli tightly. He didn’t want to let Sulli go. He can’t.

 

But he has to. And so he did.

 

“I love you Ssul… I love you so so much.” Taemin mumbled, again and again, as the finality of the moment struck him.  He was on the verge of breaking, but he has to stay strong. He can’t let Sulli down now.

 

‘I love you too. But I want you to forget me, and find a new girl.’ Sulli wrote.

 

Shaking his head furiously, he looked at her with pain filled eyes. No one can replace her.

 

As she was about to argue back, he leaned in and kiss her. Her eyes softened, and she kissed him back.

 

Unlike their first kiss, their last kiss was full of sadness.

 

And as their fairytale came to an end, there was no happy ending.

 

But their love… it stayed till the end.

 


 

One year had passed, though time didn’t seem to matter now. Everyday felt the same to Taemin.

 

Without Sulli, his life had become meaningless. No longer did he smile; no longer was he bubbly and cheerful.

 

He had let Sulli go, but his heart hasn’t. And his heart longed to be with her again.

 

And he will be, soon….

 


 

Sunset was breathtaking, as shades of orange and pink colored the once blank sky.

 

The cold autumn wind blew at Taemin, and he shivered slightly, wrapping his scarf tighter around his neck.

 

He looked around his surroundings, as his eyes took in the beautiful scenery. He could hear the roaring of the ocean beneath, and strangely, it comforted and calmed him. Ever since young, he loves the sound of the ocean.

 

And so did Sulli.

 

He took a step towards the edge of the cliff, and then another. The wind seemed to have become thousands of voices, whispering for him to go on.

 

As he reached the edge, he looked down, staring at the waves below.

 

“Sulli…” he softly muttered. “Ssul…”

 

He felt so calm and at peace at this moment. He smiled softly to himself, as he thought about Sulli.

 

That was the first time he had smiled since Sulli died.

 

He took one last look around. Everything looked so beautiful.

 

‘Sulli… wait for me. I’m coming.’

 

For a moment, he stared at the ocean, wondering if it would hurt. And then he took a deep breath, and squeezing his eyes shut, he jumped.

 

‘Together…’