01

The Last Goodbye

“Taemin.” The nurse whispered his name gently. She was afraid to startle the little boy, who seemed so fragile and broken at that moment.

 

“Taemin-ah.” She repeated his name once more, but this time more firmly. But the little boy gave no response. His eyes, which were once full of life, were fixed intently on the floor. His petite body was shaking slightly, and small whimpers escaped him from time to time. Tears were streaming down his face, and as much as he tried, he couldn’t keep them in. He was too young to learn to accept the reality. In fact, he was too young to understand what was going on, for death, though simple, was also truly complicated.

 

Sighing, the nurse was about to try again, when the little boy suddenly looked up, staring at her with pleading eyes.

 

“Aunty, what happened to Mama? Why isn’t she waking up? And where’s daddy? Mama… she’s asleep right? But why isn’t she waking up? Is she angry at me? I promise I will be a good boy from now on! I just want Mama to wake up. I promise I will be a obedient, I promise I wi-“ the little boy started bawling, as he ran up to hug the nurse. He was confused, and scared, and everything was just too much for a 6-year-old to take.

 

The nurse hugged the little boy tightly. She wanted to comfort him, she really did, but she knew there was nothing she could do. Secretly, she was cursing the child’s father in her mind. He should have been here, and not drunk somewhere else. But she could understand his pain- losing someone you love was never easy.

 

“Your Mama… she’s not going to wake up…” she flinched slightly, ashamed by how harsh her words sounded.

 

“Taemin-ah, your Mama’s gone, she went to some place better. So you should feel happy for her, for she is no longer in pain. Taemin wants his Mama to be happy, and in peace, right?” she said, and the little boy nodded.

 

“Taemin loves Mama, and I want… I want her to be happy.” The little boy mumbled.

 

For awhile, there was silence, as the little boy calmed down.

 

“Will I… will I see her again?” the little boy asked, with a hopeful look in his eyes. His crying has stopped, and the thought of seeing his Mom once more warmed him.

 

“Of course. Love- it’s is something so strong, that even death can’t possibly break…”

 


 

“Taemin.” A stern voice called. “It’s time to go.”

 

The said boy nodded, face void of any emotions. He was long used to moving from places to places due to his father’s job. He had no longer cried like the first time, begging his father to stay, begging him not to make him leave the house, the house filled with her memories...

 

Even so, he could not help but to feel sadness washing through him as he glanced back at the fading view of the house. Yet another goodbye…

 

He sat quietly at the back of the seat, thinking about his friends at school. He had finally adapted to the new school, finally making new friends, yet he had to change school yet again. He was tired, truly tired of all the goodbyes.

 

He looked outside the window. It was raining, and as he watched the rain drops roll down the window, yet another pang of sadness hit him. He was never fond of the rain, for it was a rainy day, when…

 

“Taemin?” his father’s voice brought him back to reality. Sighing, he stepped out of the car.

 

As he looked around, a sense of familiarity brought a small smile onto his face. He was finally back to Seoul.

 

“Mother…” he softly whispered, as a single tear rolled down his cheek. He promised he won’t cry anymore, but just this once…

 


 

Unconsciously, his feet took him down the familiar street. His eyes wandered around, taking in every little detail. He was glad that nothing had changed much, and the familiarity of the place warmed him.

 

His feet came to a stop. In front of him was an old mansion. Standing in front of the mansion, his eyes caught sight of the blooming daisies and carnation. His mother loved these flowers, and took great care of them. Growing proudly in the front patio, the flowers looked as beautiful as ever.

 

‘Someone took care of them…’ he thought.

 

Swinging open the gate, he continued into the house. As he entered the house, a wave of emotions rushed through him.

 

Everything was how it was left as. As he walked around the house, old memories came rushing back to him.

 

Playing hide and seek with his Mom.

 

Sneaking into the kitchen to stole food, and getting scolded by his Mom.

 

Drawing and coloring with his Mom.

 

His Mom smiling at him, telling him that she was alright, then she was just feeling a little sick because she was tired.

 

That last night with his Mom before…

 

Unable to hold the tears in, they streamed down his face.

 

“Mother…” he whispered. “I miss you…