02

The Last Goodbye

Humming to herself, Sulli leisurely strolled down the street, before stopping in front of an old mansion.

 

Pushing open the gates, she winced slightly at the creaking noise it made. As she entered the front patio, her lips curved into a smile. She was no doubt in a good mood today, for she had a feeling, just a feeling that she will get to meet him today. That one person she was destined to be with.

 

Raised in a rich family, she had everything she wanted. She was spoiled and pampered, and was showered with expensive clothes and toys since young. But there are things that even money could not buy, and that was love. And Sulli, though she had everything, she was very much deprived of love. Her parents are often away on business trips, and her brothers are too busy with their studies to spare time for her.

 

And so, as ridiculous as it may sound, the idea of everyone having a soul mate was an idea that Sulli greatly believed, as well as clung onto firmly. How she hoped that she could meet her prince charming soon, and together, begin the first chapter of their fairy tale.

 

As she walked towards the watering can at a corner, she heard a sound coming from the mansion. Curious, she looked towards that direction, and it was then did she realise that the mansion door was opened.

 

With nimble steps, she walked towards the mansion. Her heart was pounding against her chest, and she was beyond nervous, for reasons unknown to herself. Anticipation washed through her, which was strangely followed by excitement.

 

Timidly, she entered the mansion. It was empty, and once again quiet. Just as she was about to leave, a young boy walked down the stairs, and entered the living room.

 

Stunned, she just stared at him. She did not expect anyone to come back to this old mansion, and she had certainly not expected that person to be a goddamn gorgeous boy.

 

But the boy did not notice her. He was too absorbed in his thoughts, and too immersed in his memories.

 

Still half dazed by his pretty looks, Sulli coughed awkwardly, hoping to get his attention. Startled, the boy jumped upon hearing the noise.

 

His eyes widened in surprise as he looked at Sulli.

 

Mustering up her courage, Sulli whispered. “H...Hi…”

 

But the boy gave no response, as she continued to stand there stiffly.

 

“I’m sorry for intruding and eh… I shall go now…” feeling slightly afraid, Sulli stuttered out hurriedly, as she anxiously turned to leave the house.

 

“Wait!”

 

Stopping in her tracks, she turned around. The boy was biting his lower lip, and Sulli could see how nervous and awkward the boy was. ‘Cute’ she thought to herself, smiling a little.

 

“Were you the one who watered the flowers?” he said softly.

 

“Yea. Beautiful, ain’t they?”

 

Taemin nodded, smiling a little. For a while, they just stared at each other, feeling too awkward to start a conversation.

 

“Choi Jinri” Sulli suddenly said, breaking the silence.

 

“I… Lee Taemin.”

 

And that was the beginning of their friendship, which soon blossomed to something much, much more.

 


 

“Guess who?” a sweet voice said as a hand covered his eyes.

 

Chuckling, Taemin gently took the hands off, too lazy to entertain Sulli with her own little games. Pouting, Sulli sat down beside Taemin.

 

“You are no fun!” she whined, lightly hitting him to show her childish displeasure.

 

“And you are childish.” Taemin replied teasingly.

 

Ignoring his comment, Sulli lied down, placing her head on Taemin’s lap. She shifted a bit, so that she was now facing the sky.

 

Closing her eyes, she though back about the she met Taemin. Two years had passed, and they became the best of friends.

 

Lying down at a field, enjoying the cool summer breeze and each other’s company, soon became a routine for Taemin and Sulli. They were peaceful and happy with each other, and every little free time they had, they spent it together.

 

Occasionally, Sulli opened her eyes, taking peeks at Taemin. Two years had passed, yet Sulli still could not get over how absolutely handsome he is.

 

“Am I that handsome?” his sudden question startled her, and she blushed a deep red, knowing that she had been caught.

 

“Yah! Don’t make fun of me!” She exclaimed, hitting him on the chest. She hates being embarrassed like this, but Taemin thought her reaction was pretty cute.

 

Smiling, Taemin lightly flicked her nose. “Idiot.” He chuckled. “My idiot.”

 


 

“He left me! He said he would be with me forever, but he left! Why? Is it because I’m unworthy of anyone’s love? Is it?!”

 

“Sshh… He was blind… too blind to see how perfect you are.” Taemin said soothingly as he hugs Sulli, trying to comfort her.

 

“I’m scared, Taemin oppa. I’m scared of people leaving me, especially the ones I love.” Sulli confessed. Calming down a bit, she wiped away her tears, and hugged Taemin tightly.

 

“You… you won’t ever leave me, right?” She asked. Worry was evident in her voice.

 

“Of course, Ssul. I promise I will never leave you. Never…”

 


 

“Good Afternoon Mrs Choi!” Taemin said, bowing.

 

Too anxious to wait for a reply, he sprinted up to Sulli’s bedroom.

 

“Sulli!” he said, knocking. The door opened.

 

“Taemin? What are you doing here?” Sulli said, surprised. Letting him in, she patted her bed, signalling him to sit down.

 

“I heard you fainted during one of your classes. Are you okay? Still feeling sick?” Taemin asked, voice full of worry.

 

“I’m great now, so don’t worry so much!” Sulli replied, smiling brightly. Taemin heaved a sigh of relief, no longer feeling anxious anymore.

 

They started chatting, talking about school, and other random things. Soon, laughter filled the room, as they began to joke and fool around with each other.

 

And that moment of hesitation, that brief flash of sadness, was left undiscovered.

 


 

“Taemin. I… I love you.”

 

Shocked, Taemin stared at Sulli.

 

“What… what did you say?”

 

“I love you.” She replied once more, but this time more firmly. Her eyes were full of determination. The shyness and uncertainty was gone. She had to let him know that she love him. Before…

 

“Say it again.” Taemin demanded, a wide grin evident on his face.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too. I love you so much that it hurts. God Sulli you’re perfect. And you know what’s the best part…?”

 

Taemin asked, leaning in, and putting little distance between them.

 

“You’re mine…” he whispered, before crashing his lips onto hers.

 


 

“Taemin, we are moving again. Get your things packed. I will be back late today”

 

“What?! You said we won’t move again! You promise!”

 

“We are leaving tomorrow.”

 

And the line went dead, leaving Taemin shivering in shock. This can’t be happening.

 

With shaking fingers, he punched in a few numbers. The numbers he knew so well that by now, he already knew it by heart.

 

“Hello? Sulli… I love you. I love you so so much. Please forgive me. I… I’m sorry…”

 


 

Thanks for commenting, sullifan1! ^^ And a big thanks to my 6 subs for taking the time to read this story :D