Chapter 2

My Dark Secret

 

“Why are we going to Siwon’s party?” Haneul asked as she sat back down in the chair she was reading in.

“Because he keeps bugging me about inviting you, and quite frankly I’m getting sick of his pleading.” Heechul ranted as he sat down across from Haneul so they could talk comfortably. However, Haneul was back to reading her book. Heechul just sat there and looked at his friend’s soft features. Her bangs were slightly in her eyes, but she didn’t seem in notice. He moved to the edge of his seat to lean over to Haneul, He gently brushed he bangs away. He was as careful as if she was a porcelain doll.

As he was scooting back in his seat Haneul’s eyes flickered up to his, or at least that’s what Heechul thought. Really Haneuls’s eyes went to look behind Heechul.  She had heard Eunsu even though Heechul hadn’t. Next thing Heechul knew was that he was seeing stars. Eunsu had smacked the back of his head and hard too.

“What the hell!” Heechul screamed. His inner diva was starting to come out.

“That was for calling me ‘darling Eunsu.’ I’ve warned you before; if you call me that I’m going to hit you.”

Haneul continued to read, not paying any mind to her best friends. This was a common interaction between those two. Once in a blue moon would they have a civil conversation. It was just too entertaining for Heechul to tick off Eunsu. Haneul looked up when Eunsu shrieked. Currently Heechul had her in a headlock. Haneul sighed and walked over to break up this argument.

“Oppa! Bap meogja?”

“N-n-ne.” Heechul stuttered. It always threw him off when Haneul called him ‘oppa.’ “What types do we have left?”

“Mmm…B and O.” Haneul said opening the refrigerator.

“We’re almost out of blood bags. Guess we’re going to be getting a visit from ahjussi soon.”

The next afternoon moved by slowly. Haneul busied herself with homework, Eunsu with dramas, and Heechul with his webpage. It passed by slowly for Siwon and Kangin as well. Both of them were wondering if Heechul had invited Haneul. If he had, then would she come?

Heechul stepped out of his car and he could hear the bass from the music radiating around Siwon’s house. It was a good thing Siwon’s parents had a lot of money and had an actual house in Seoul. Good thing they were never there either. Parties were always thrown at the Choi house. Heechul’s focus was pulled to the other side of the car as Haneul stepped out. Her light brown hair fell around her shoulders in soft curls and her white, one-shoulder, mini dress seemed to make her glow. People might mistake her for an angel. Heechul scoffed at that thought.

“Thinking I’m an angel again, Heenim?” Haneul smirked.

“Of course, darling.” Heechul said as he rounded the car and got closer to his friend. “But I know your dirty little secret.” His face very close to hers.

“And I know yours.” Haneul’s face inched closer to Heechul’s. Neither of them paid any attention to the slamming car door next to them.

“Either get a room and get it out of your system or find other people to mess with. Either way don’t do that around me.” Eunsu huffed.

“Yeobo, you know we only do it to piss you off. And you never disappoint.” Haneul smiled at her younger friend then started to make her way up to the house.

Heechul smirked at Eunsu and went to catch up to Haneul. As he reached her he offered his arm. The only person that noticed anything from the house was Eunsu. She saw Siwon ad Kangin standing in the window. Siwon looked as excited as a five year old on Christmas morning, and Kangin looked pissed off. Eunsu came back to reality as she heard Haneul’s voice.

“Su-ah! Come on. We don’t have all night. Kaja!” There was no way Eunsu could have heard Haneul from that far away, with music blaring and with people talking everywhere. Then again they weren’t humans, so it was a good thing no one noticed them talking. Eunsu finally made it to her two friends and they all walked into the house.

As the three entered Siwon and Kangin were right there to greet them. Heechul and Eunsu caught each other’s eyes and rolled their eyes. They were both wondering if Siwon and Kangin’s actions could be any more obvious. Probably everyone and their mothers could tell that those two were head over heels infatuated with Haneul. Heechul finally decided to speak up and introduce the two girls.

“This is Siwon and Kangin. Guys, this is Haneul and Eunsu.” He pointed to the girls.

“I know Kangin.” Haneul said matter-of-factly.

“You do?” Siwon asked very startled. Kangin had a similar confused expression plastered on his face.

“We have the same history class. Enough about school. Gross. Where are the drinks?”

“Right this way.” Siwon said taking Haneul by the hand and leading her toward the kitchen.

“Well that’s not obvious at all.” Eunsu stated.  Quite frankly she was about to hurl. That sappy love crap made her sick to her stomach. “I like you much better.” Indicating to Kangin.

“What do you mean? And do you have contacts in?” Kangin asked.

“What?” Eunsu snapped.

“Your eyes. It looked like they were red.”

Eunsu’s eyes widened. . She mentally cursed at herself. In all her years no one had ever noticed her eyes like that. How was she supposed to come up with an excuse that sounded believable? She was a pretty good impromptu speech maker, s o this shouldn’t be any different, right?

“Sometimes my contacts get a hint of red to them. Especially when I’m mad.” Eunsu stated.

“Oh. Alright.” Kangin replied, not really believing that story. “You know that I like Haneul as well right?” Kangin asked. Eunsu was bashing Siwon like there was no tomorrow, what was she going to do to him? The question left his lips and he instantly wished he had said nothing at all. Although he looked like a badass, and could beat someone up, he was rather nervous and awkward around girls.

“Oh, I know. It’s obvious too, but not as creepy as Siwon.” Eunsu her heel and disappeared into the crowd in the blink of an eye.

“Hyung, you have some really weird friends.” Kangin stated. Heechul smirked. If only Kangin could understand.

“Those two are the only ones that really understand me. I’ve been friends with them for longer than you can believe.”

“I think I need another drink.” Kangin stated to himself. He walked off to the kitchen to get more alcohol.  First Haneul says that she knows you I am. Then Eunsu’s eyes glow red. Then hyung gets all sappy. Am I really drunk and making things up? No, I only had one beer when I got here. What the hell is going on? Kangin was rudely brought back to reality when he saw a swarm of guys around Haneul. Al least Siwon hadn’t left her side.

For the moment Kangin forgot the beer he was in need of. It was easy to push his way through the crowd of drunk and buzzed students currently hitting on Haneul. She had an awkward smile plastered on her face as she received compliment after compliment. Haneul’s eyes flickered up to Kangin’s as he took hold of her wrist. He then pulled her away from all of the attention.

“Kangin-ssi, please slow down. I can’t see a thin.” Haneul pleaded. She stumbled on the grass in the backyard. Her high heels slightly sinking in the soft sod. She was a brilliant actress. She could see perfectly, and if no one were around she would have become light as a feather and not sink into the ground. She couldn’t let on though, even if Kangin’s jugular was pulsating with blood and screaming her name. She had to maintain her damsel in distress image right now.  Kangin stopped and turned around. He came face to face with Haneul as he caught her before she fell on the ground.

“M-mianhaeyo.” Kangin stuttered. All his chivalry suddenly disappeared as he had to speak to the girl he was in love with.

“Kamsahabnida.”

“A-anieyo.”

“Let’s go back to the party. Kaja.” Haneul smiled after a couple minutes of awkward silence. It was rare that she truly smiled with humans. No one touched her ice cold heart. She grabbed Kangin’s hand and made her way back to the party inside the house.

Eunsu watched from a window on the ground floor. Her fifth bottle of beer clutched in her hand. She hated people so she had no idea why she agreed to go to this party. She was perplexed though. Haneul never showed her true smile to people. She and Heechul were the only ones to see it. The last time Haneul gave that smile to a human was when she was a human herself. More specifically; the night that she was turned.

“Darling, Eunsu.” Heechul purred. Eunsu rolled her eyes. She slowly turned around, then proceeded to smack Heechul on the shoulder.

“You really do hit like a girl.” Heechul stated as he brushed his shirt off.

“News flash, smart one; I AM A GIRL!”

“Calm down, calm down. Don’t get me wrong. My intentions were good.” He said in English. A blur of white caught Heechul’s attention. It was Haneul and Kangin weaving their way to the front of the house.

“Haneul-ah,” Kangin started, “I thought we were going back to the party.” He was way too confused for his own liking at this point.

“Take me home?” She asked. Now Kangin felt like he had an obligation to do what she asked.

“Yah!” Eunsu yelled as she stepped beside her best friend. “You will NOT go anywhere with her.”

“Waeyo?” Kangin asked. What the royal is going on?! He thought to himself.

“Because I said so.”

“Su-ah!” Haneul whined. “I just want him to take me home.”

“No.” Kangin firmly said to Eunsu. “I am taking her home. She asked me to, so I will.”

“No you won’t!” Eunsu shouted. “You’re not taking her anywhere.”

“You’re drunk.” A voice said from behind Eunsu.