Chapter 1

My Dark Secret

 

I sit by this window every day just to catch a glimpse of her. I’ve seen her around campus a few times, but I know I can see her during this class at 4:15. Her beauty is unmatched, as far as I’m concerned. It’s almost as if it’s love at first sight. I’ve been watching from afar for two years now and

“I sound like a freaking creep.” Siwon said as he looked at what he had written in his notebook. He looked up from his notebook to see the girl he was writing about walking along the sidewalk. Her light brown hair shown in the afternoon sun. Today she had curled it. She clutched her large textbook close to her chest; however that didn’t stop her pencil bag from dropping to the ground and scattering her pens, pencils, and highlighters every which way.

Siwon watched as she crouched down to gather her scattered possessions. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a man stoop down to help the girl. It was none other than Kim Heechul, his very first friend at Seoul National University. Heechul was known for being a playboy, but he didn’t seem to be flirting with this girl. That fact struck Siwon as very odd. He made a mental note to ask Heechul about that later while they ate dinner.

Siwon noticed the girl’s smile. It was just as beautiful as she was. He couldn’t understand how any woman could be that beautiful. Siwon jumped a little as his mind came back to the real world and noticed Heechul staring at him through the window and the girl was nowhere to be seen. He visibly sighed and turned back to his accounting professor. He was a business major, but this class just did not and could not keep his attention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haneul was walking to her theatre class, like any other typical day. That was until her pencil bag dropped and scattered everywhere. Today just did not seem to her day. First she had tripped up the stairs while she was walking to her history class, and now this. She was starting to get frustrated. Her outfit wasn’t the best either for her to be down getting her belongings. Her navy blue mini skirt was being a bit of a problem.

As she was collecting various writing utensils someone stooped down to help her. She looked up and saw that it was Heechul. She smiled at him. It had been quite a while since she had seen him.

“Thanks, Heechul.” Haneul said softly as she stood up and put the last of her pens in the bag.

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me oppa?” He asked with an irritated sigh.

“Oh, probably another thousand times, give or take a few.” She replied sarcastically.

“You’re lucky I like you.”

“I know. Have fun on your dinner with your friends tonight.” She kissed his cheek and started to walk to her class that was still on the other side of campus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Have a little crush do we?” Heechul asked as Siwon walked up to him after his class got out. “You can answer that on the way. Hurry up, I’m starving, and we have to meet Kangin soon.”

“What are you talking about? About having a crush.” Siwon asked dumbfounded.

“I saw you looking at that girl through the window. I’m not oblivious like her.”

“I was meaning to ask you about that.” Siwon said hesitantly. It was rare that Heechul would allow specific questions.

“Go on.” He was quite intrigued as to what Siwon had to say.

“I know you’re a playboy so why didn’t you flirt with her?”

“Who says I wasn’t?”

“Hyung, I’ve known you for four years now, I know how you pick up girls.” Siwon said rolling his eyes.

“Well aren’t you observant.” Heechul chuckled. “I’ve been friends with her for a long time, actually.”

“Really? Why haven’t I ever seen you guys hanging out?”

“Probably because you were either in class or studying.” Siwon didn’t say anything to that because he knew Heechul was more than likely right about that.

“What’s her name?”

“Yang Haneul. 20 years old, sophomore, blood type O. Anything else you want to know?”

“Is she single?”

“That I don’t know. That’s something you should ask her yourself. Although by the sound of it, you’ve never talked to her in your life.”

“I just watch her from afar.” Siwon admitted.

“So, you’re stalking her?”

“Aniyo! That’s not it at all. Like in class, I know she walks by the window around the same time every day and I just so happen to look out the window around that time.”

“Yeah, that’s kind of creepy. Hurry up, I see Kangin over there.” Heechul took Siwon’s hand to speed up his walking. Heechul wasn’t kidding when he said he was hungry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“When is your big party?” Kangin asked Siwon as he picked up some kimchi with his chopsticks.

“It’s tomorrow. Shouldn’t you know this by now? I think you’ve asked every day for the past week when it will be.”

“I just don’t want you to back out. I’ve been telling some people when it will be.”

“Did I tell you, Kangin, that Siwon-ah here is stalking a sophomore?” Heechul interjected nonchalantly.

“No you didn’t. A sophomore you say? Who is she?”

“Yang Haneul. You think Siwon-ah will stand a chance?” Kangin stiffened at her name.

“Probably not.”  He had never told a soul that he liked Haneul. They had history together, but she only ever focused on the class and taking notes and not her surroundings.

“Why do you think that?” Heechul loved instigating drama.

“All she ever does is go to class, study, or is with her best friend.” Kangin looked down at his rice bowl, his appetite suddenly gone. He ran his hand through his hair just to get his thoughts together. It was rather difficult since he couldn’t say that he liked Haneul when one of his best friends liked her too. He didn’t know what to do.

Heechul leaned back on his hands and watched the drama unfold in front of him. He was one of the best people readers out there. He knew that Kangin liked Haneul; he noticed that during his last year of school. Now that Siwon liked Haneul as well he couldn’t wait to see what would happen. He may or may not step in if things escalated. After all, he’s Kim Heechul; he’d do whatever he damn well pleased.

“Will you invite her to your party? Heechul asked Siwon.

“I’ve never talked to her in my life. Why would I randomly go up and invite her?”

“Guess you don’t want her there then.”

“Well of course I want her there. But I don’t think it’s meant to be. I’ve been praying a lot about how to approach her, but nothing has been answered. Hyung, can’t you invite her? I mean you’re the one that knows her, not me!”

“What’s in it for me?” Heechul asked slyly. He liked where this was going so far.

“Anything you want.” Siwon almost pleaded.

“Anything? Are you sure about that?” Heechul asked as he cocked an eyebrow.

“Yes. Anything.”

“I’ll hold you to that promise then.” Heechul smirk as he and Siwon linked pinky fingers and touched thumbs of their right hands.

“You have to get through her best friend first.” Kangin said, still playing with the rice in his bowl.

“What do you mean?” Siwon asked.

“Song Eunsu is Haneul’s best friend. If Haneul isn’t studying or in class they are together. Guys have to get through Eunsu before they can get to Haneul. I’ve seen her scare guys away, and Haneul just stood there calmly watching. I think it’s a weird relationship.”

“Oh Kangin, you have much to learn.” Heechul laughed. If only these two knew his secret along with Haneul and Eunsu’s secret.

“What does that even mean, Heechul?” Quite frankly he was sick of Heechul speaking in riddles. He always did and now it was infuriating.

“I’m sure you’ll learn in time. Well look at the time. I have to go see my lovely Haneul. I told her I would take her out to get ice cream.” Heechul said without even looking at the time. He stood up and bid farewell to his friends and walked out of the restaurant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You’re late.” Hanuel criticized as she opened the door to her apartment to see Heechul standing out in the hall.

“I had to deal with Siwon and Kangin drama.” Heechul rolled his eyes.

“Are they both still infatuated with me?” Haneul asked. She wasn’t stupid; she knew both of them liked her. That’s why she went out of her way and walked past Siwon’s class everyday and never turned to the window. It’s also why she made sure to only focus on her history class’s lecture and taking notes rather than the people in the class, because of Kangin.

“Where’s darling Eunsu?”

“You know she’s going to punch you for that right?”

“Well, either way you two are coming to Siwon’s party tomorrow night.”