Chapter 3

My Dark Secret

 

“Oh Mickey you’re so fine. You’re so fine you blow my mind. Hey Mickey. Hey, hey, hey Mickey.” Eunsu started to sing obnoxiously.

“Yah! Shut up!” Yoochun ordered. However, that command only made Eunsu sing louder. “Yah! I said,” Yoochun started again.

“Shhhhh….” Eunsu slurred as she pressed a finger to his lips. “You know you like it.” Yoochun’s eyes widened at the sudden contact. They had spoken several times before. But that was only for school projects and getting homework and such.

Kangin and Haneul took that time to slip away from Eunsu and made their way to the front door. Kangin kept a firm grip onto Haneul’s wrist as he led her toward his car.

Haneul had told Kangin the way to the apartment she shared with Eunsu and Heechul. After various turns through the streets on Seoul at two in the morning they finally pulled into the parking garage of the apartment building.

Even though Haneul and Kangin had caught Heechul’s attention he walked away. He was in no mood to deal with Eunsu’s temper when it came to protecting Haneul. Plus, she was always a difficult person to deal with while drunk. So, he opted for other entertainment. A new person captured his intrigue. He was obviously foreign. Heechul could hear his broken Korean from across the room, thanks to his enhanced hearing.

Heechul moved through the crowd, brushing off a few girls that clung to his arms. Soon enough he made it to the foreigner’s side. He was turned the other way and hadn’t noticed Heechul next to him.

“Anneong.” Heechul purred into his ear. That effectively startled the man and he jumped. His mixed drink, whatever it was, was now on the front of his shirt.

“A-anneong.” The man said.

“Sorry about your shirt.” Heechul said as he tried to dab his white shirt with a napkin.

“It’s okay.” The man said. Heechul was making him nervous. He had never seen a man look so gorgeous before. He was captivated by Heechul.

“My name’s Heechul. Yours?”

“Hangeng,” he replied. “But my Korean name is Hankyung.”

Eunsu had been so wrapped up in talking to Yoochun that she didn’t even notice that Kangin and Haneul had escaped. She was happily humming a Lady Gaga song while leaning onto Yoochun’s side. All he could do was roll his eyes and pretend like she didn’t exist. However, that was proving to be a difficult task.

“Hyung!” Yoochun yelled. “Hyung! Please help me.”

“Arasso. What do you want me to do?”

“Entertain her.” He nodded to Eunsu, who somehow got another beer without leaving his side. Yoochun’s friend pulled Eunsu to his side.

“Yah! What are you doing? Who are you?” Finally she came back to reality.

“I’m just trying to help.” He replied. Eunsu was trying to get out of his grasp, but he was surprisingly strong.

“Still doesn’t tell me who you are.”

“My name’s Yesung.”

“Well, Yesung, you’re creeping me out.”

“I’m the only ride you have home though.”

“Not true. I have Heechul and Haneul.”

“Haneul left with Kangin, and it looks like Heechul is going home with someone else tonight.” Yoochun interjected.

“Heechul would never do…” Eunsu stopped midsentence as she saw Heechul making out with some guy with bleach-blonde hair.

“You’re my only ride home, but you still creep me out.” She said to Yesung.

Yesung looked hurt, but he was still going to take her home. He was a nice guy after all. Sure, he was a little weird and didn’t have many friends, but he was still a nice, and NOT creepy like Eunsu said. Yesung started walking with Eunsu in tow, however, she quickly became like a statue that he couldn’t move.

“Yoochun has to go with us. I won’t go alone with you.”

“Aish. Fine.” Yesung was getting frustrated with her. Somehow Yoochun was convinced to go along for the ride.

Haneul was walked to her door by Kangin. He seemed like such a badass when he stormed into the crowd and took her away, but really he was just a sweet gentleman. Haneul unlocked the door and asked if he wanted to come inside for a while. An offer that Kangin gladly accepted.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Haneul asked. She opened the fridge to find a couple blood bags left and a couple water bottles. “All we have is water.” Haneul giggled. No one ever came to their apartment except ahjussi, and the occasional one night hookups Heechul brought in, so there was never a need to go shopping for food.

“I guess I need to go to the store tomorrow to get some food.”

“Water is fine. Thank you.” Kangin blushed. Now he felt like he was imposing on Haneul since they didn’t have anything to eat or drink. Kangin sat down on the couch as Haneul handed him the water. She sat next to him in silence.

“You have a big apartment for three college students.” Kangin commented.

“Well, Heechul graduated and got a job, a good paying one. But our families have money. That’s why.”

“Oh.” Kangin stupidly said. He had no idea. Up until tonight the woman sitting next to him was a mystery. She still was. “Can I look at your movies?”

“Yeah, of course. I’m going to change into something more comfortable.” Haneul smiled and then walked down the hallway and disappeared behind a door.

Kangin sighed. This night was just getting weirder by the minute. He stood up and went over to the movies. He quickly noticed that all the movies were about vampires or at least had vampires in them. Kind of odd. Kangin had pegged Haneul as the chick flick type, maybe the occasional action movie with a hot actor or two in it. Haneul came back in a pair of yoga pants and a thin sweatshirt. She had her hair pulled back into a ponytail and she had glasses on. It took all of his effort not to keep his mouth hanging opened and drooling all over the place.

“Why do you only have movies of vampires?”

“It’s just something Eunsu and I like. We watch them all the time.”

“That’s interesting. Well, do you want to watch Interview with the Vampire?”

“Sure. That’s one of my favorites.” Haneul took out the DVD and started it before going to the couch to sit with Kangin. “Can I sit next to you?” She shyly asked.

“Of course.”

That had gotten about a quarter of the way through the movie before Eunsu stumbled through the front door with Yoochun trying to steady her. Haneul directed Yoochun to Eunsu’s room so she could sleep. Yoochun left shortly after since Yesung was waiting in the car. Now Haneul had the task of getting blood to Eunsu without Kangin noticing. Two bags weren’t going to sober her up, but they would have to do.

“Do you want any help?” Kangin offered, pausing the movie.

“Aniyo. You can keep watching the movie. I’ll be back in a couple of minutes.” When she was satisfied that Kangin was engrossed with the movie she took the blood bags to Eunsu’s room.

“Yah!” Haneul yelled as she poked Eunsu’s forehead. “Yah! Wake up!”

“Waeeeee?” Eunsu whined. She didn’t want to wake up. She rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

“Yah! Kangin’s here and you’re drunk. We can’t have you slip up and bite him. Drink these.” Haneul handed the bags to Eunsu. “It’s the last of what we have.” Eunsu devoured them down like she hadn’t had anything to eat in a week. Eunsu went back to sleep and Haneul went out to finish her movie.

“Mianhaeyo.” Haneul yawned. She sat back down next to Kangin and leaned her head on his shoulder. Kangin absent mindedly started to play with the end of her ponytail. He had unknowingly found one of the two weaknesses that Haneul had for men; playing with her hair. She fell asleep before the movie even ended, as did Kangin.

A few hours later Eunsu woke up very disoriented. She walked out into the living room still half asleep. She rubbed her eyes a couple of times before she could see clearly. And what she first saw wasn’t pleasant at all.

Ahjussi stood in the entrance hall with a duffel bag on his shoulder. Black skinny jeans and a black v-neck t-shirt complimented him well. He was a very handsome man, but the red tint in his eyes meant he wasn’t someone to mess with right now. He was beyond pissed. He had yet to see Eunsu; instead he was murderously glaring at Haneul and Kangin who were still asleep on the couch.

“Ahjussi,” Eunsu whispered. His gaze whipped to Eunsu. His gaze, murderous gaze that is, made her feel vulnerable and nothing made Eunsu feel that way.

“My darling, Eunsu.” He spoke. It wasn’t a welcome tone by any means. His words dripped with venom. He was the one that had started her awful pet name, but there was nothing she could do about it. At least with Heechul she could hit him or say very rude things, or a mixture of the two.

“Where is Heechul?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” Eunsu timidly replied. Haneul opened her eyes slowly. People were talking and it was annoying her. She sat up and turned around to yet at whoever was talking.

“Su-ah, be…” Haneul started. She saw the frightened expression on her friend’s face. She turned a little more until she saw ahjussi. “Ahjussi.” Haneul greeted quietly, bowing her head to him.

“Princess.” He greeted, obviously a cold greeting. “What do we have here?” Indicating to Kangin. At which point Kangin was waking up, since his pillow; Haneul’s head, had moved. Haneul said nothing.

“Princess, what are the rules?”

“No one in the apartment except the four of us.”

“Then why is he here?” Ahjussi added extra emphasis on ‘he’.

“He brought me home from a party, and I invited him in.” Haneul turned toward Kangin. “You should probably go.”

“Why? How do you know him?” Kangin asked.

“It’s a long story, just go. Please.” Haneul pleaded.

“Alright.” Kangin stood up from the couch as did Haneul. “Mianhaeyo.” Kangin said to ahjussi, bowing. Haneul walked him to the door. Haneul gave him a squeeze of the hand and a small smile as if to say she would be fine.

Ahjussi was never one to yell, especially at his princess. She was his soft spot in this undead life. Eunsu and Haneul had only ever heard from Heechul that ahjussi yelled at him, but they had never heard it themselves. However, Heechul was the only one that went against ahjussi’s rules. Haneul and Eunsu had been perfect angels for almost four hundred years.

He wasn’t ready to address either of their misbehaviors, Haneul-having someone in the apartment, and Eunsu-letting Haneul have someone in the apartment, so he went to fill their refrigerator with blood bags he had brought. He kept one out, and when he was done he threw it to Eunsu; who had previously been massaging her temples in an effort to get rid of her headache. Eunsu sipped on the bag, grateful that she wouldn’t have to deal with her hangover much longer.

“How many times do we have to go over the rules of this house?” Ahjussi questioned. He was really sick of doing this every month.

“Yah! That’s not because of us. That’s because of that nappeun nom, whom isn’t even here.” Eunsu half yelled. She was sick of hearing these lectures.

“Except for this time, Heechul didn’t break any rules. Is the world ending?” Ahjussi softly asked the question to himself. Right after the question left his lips Heechul walked through the door with Hangeng in tow.

“I spoke too soon” Ahjussi muttered.