012 Alice in Wonderland

Inspire Me

Alice in Wonderland

"Because great tales can be made into a greater form with your own words."

 

"I'm late! I'm late!" A rabbit chimed. Pointing to it's hand watch, the rabbit hopped off. A young boy was sitting through a boring lecture. Glancing outside, he spotted an unusually large rabbit wearing a tail coat and a top hat. A fancy monocle hanging on his face. "I'm late! I'm late!" He heard it cry. He glanced around the classroom, no one else seemed to have noticed. "I'm late and I can't find the rabbit hole!" It cried again. Surely someone would notice this time. No one did. The boy rubbed his eyes. Maybe he didn't get enough sleep.

He didn't dare stare out the window until after class, but the rabbit was still there, hopping around in circle, crying out "I'm late!" And then continue with hopping frantically.

"Hey," The boy called out to one of his friends. "Look out the window, do you see anything?"

"No. Are you going insane, Sungyeol?" His friend said. Sungyeol scratched his head. He glanced out the window and the rabbit was indeed gone. He needs a cup of coffee, he determines.


---


"I'm late! I'm late!" Not again. He had been hearing that same shrill cry throughout history. He must be going insane. He glanced out the window, and once again, the rabbit was there. He was jumping around in circle, crying "I'm late! I'm late!"

"Ms. Kim, can I go to the bathroom?" Sungyeol couldn't take it anymore. He raised his hands and excused himself.

"Can't you hold it in?" Ms. Kim asked. She hated it when someone disrupted her class.

Sungyeol shook his head. "Go ahead," She said. Sungyeol could already see his friends teasing him, but his headache was growing worse with each cry from the rabbit. He hurriedly escaped to the bathroom. Entering a stall, he closed the door. A sigh of relief escaped his lips.

"Sungyeol, Sungyeol, tsk, tsk, tsk." A voice erupted from above. Sungyeol swung his head up, only seeing the tip of someone's hat.

"Well hello there," This time it was at the left of him. Sungyeol whipped his head to his side, but again, he only caught a glismpe of a top hat. Bursting out of the stall, he came face to face with a smirking boy. Sungyeol knew that boy. That boy had been his arch nemesis since preschool. On top of his head laid a top hat, his hands were covered in white gloves, his hair a curly and unruly. He was wearing formal wear, shiny black shoes refracted the light.

"Who are you?" Sungyeol finally found his voice.

"Why Alice, you don't remember me?" A mock sound of hurt escaped L's lips.

"L, cut it out. It isn't funny."

"I'm late! I'm late!" Through the tiny bathroom window, Sungyeol saw the rabbit again. The corners of L's lip curled up into a Cheshire cat smile.

"I am not L, rather I am the Mad Hatter. It seems as if the rabbit is lost yet again." L - no, the Mad Hatter declared.

"Cut it out, I'm serious. Is this some kind of psychological game you're playing with me?"

"Ah! It's time to go! Better not be late for the Queen. She wouldn't be happy." Another smile and L disappeared into thin air. Sungyeol's mouth dropped open.

"I'm late! I'm late!" Again, the cries of the lost rabbit filled his ears. The shrill tone never lost it's pitch and the rabbit continued to chime.


---


"The ony who talks in riddle is not me. But rather the pupil of eye and the letter E."

"Not you too, Dongwoo." Sungyeol groaned. Everyone had been acting extremely weird since yesterday. He thought he would get peace and quiet at home, but his brother had been talking nonsense.

"It is not I, but rather me."

"Shut up!"

"I'm afraid I cannot." Dongwoo grinned. The short man sat down next to Sungyeol on his lips. "The one who dress in red with royal written as her name is calling me to attend and be a judge for justice. Must I leave a note with you, beware of the space beneath the earth with rounded edges and a heating hearth."

"What can you possibly mean by that?" Sungyeol shouted after Dongwoo who had disappeared into thin air just like L had.

He needed someone sane to talk to, he must. He decided to call the most mature person he knew, and that was Sunggyu. "Hyung, please come over."

"Alright." Sungyeol was relieved that one of his friends were still normal, but what he didn't hear was the mischievous tone that came along with the reply.

Someone rung the doorbell minutes later. Sungyeol hurried scrambled down the stairs, opening the door. No one was there. A giggle resounded through his house, a swipe of a tail and the person disappeared around the corner. Sungyeol shut the door and ventured to search for the intruder. He grabbed a broom, preparing for any sudden movement.

Another fit of giggles. "Behind you." Like last time, all Sungyeol ever saw was a tail before it curved around the corner.

Sungyeol recognized the voice. "Sunggyu hyung?" He tried calling out. A roaring laughter was his response. He was right. "Please not you too. Whatever those idiots did to convince you to play along, please stop it."

"No - no. That wouldn't be fun. Not at all." A teasing voice miffed. Sungyeol was beyond irritated now. He had the world's biggest headache as well.

"Sunggyu I don't wan-"

"The queen has requested for your presence at court." Sunggyu informed. Sungyeol didn't know when, but the older had crept up behind him. Sungyeol's mouth dropped. Sunggy was clothed in an old, retro, elementary school uniform. Soft, fuzzy, black cat ears sprung at the top of his head, swaying with Sungyeol's breathing. A black tail swung behind him and he had paws instead of hands.

"You better hurry. The Queen doesn't like waiting." And with that, Sungyeol had been transfered to a place he didn't know. It was dark, too dark for him to see. He tried to reach for his phone in his pocket, but it wasn't there. The ground shook, making him fall to the ground. Sungyeol reached out in hopes of finding a rail to hold onto, he found one. The roof opened and the ground began to rise. Light poured into the once dark room, too bright for Sungyeol. The sudden change of lighting caused him a headache.

"He's here, he's here." He faintly heard his brother laugh. His ear was pounding and it stings. His vision was blurred and black. Noises seemed to be amplified and it only worsened his headache.

"I can see that." A female voice he had never heard before spoke. The words were most likely directed to his brother.

"He's awaken now but is he really? His body is here but his mind is elsewhere." L snickered.

"Give him the potion, Sunggyu. You shouldn't mess with my subject." The feminine voice from earlier threatened.

"It's fun, it's fun. I will, I will." Sunggyu walked up to the groaning boy, tail swinging back and forth, he reached in his pocket to pull out a tiny bottle labeled awakening potion.

"Drink it, drink up." The repetitive way of talking was killing Sungyeol. It was unnecessary and extremely loud. His mouth was opened to protest, but a strange liquid had slipped down his throat before he could do so. The pain disappeared for a moment, but shot back just as soon. The pain was worse now, he could no longer see, hear, or even feel. His body was numb, his muscles ached. He wasn't even sure if he was moving anymore.

"Wakey, wakey." Sunggyu continued. His vision and hearing was slowly starting to come back to him. "Your highness, it seems I gave him the wrong potion. Oh well, oh well."

"It's fine, as long as he could see and hear." The queen replied. From head to toe she was clothed in red, it contrasted greatly with her pale, sickly skin. Red lips, red hair, red eyes, red everything.

Once Sungyeol finally awoke, everything was mismatching. It was as if he were looking in a kaleidoscope or as if he had photo booth installed in his brain. Everything he saw was distorted and nothing looked normal. He felt as if he were an ant compared to everyone else. They were big - no, big was an understatement.

"His eyes are looking in a different light, a different form of sight." Dongwoo muttered. L continued to smirk, his unruly hair was combed down and he looked like the usual smart he was. Woohyun was sitting on a floating teacup that was filled with an unknown red liquid.

"I see, I see." Sunggyu chided, giggling as his tail swayed faster.

"Get up, Alice." Sungyeol didn't understand who 'Alice' was, but he figured it was him. It seems as if he's finally lost his mind playing too many video games.

"Alright. I get it." He began, he shook his head when all of his friends showed up in his line of sight. "I'm delusional. I'm dreaming. Yeah - that's it. I'm just dreaming." His words didn't comfort him, in fact, all of his friends just laughed and their grin got wider.

"You mustn't think so simply, everything isn't as it seems," There goes his brother again.

"I'm late! I'm late!" The rabbit from before burst through the doors. Sungyeol just now realized he was in a court room. Rows and rows of creatures he didn't know sat in the audience, the jury was made up of his friends. Sungyeol saw the rabbit's face up close. He gasped in shock. It was Sungjong, no wonder the voice sounded so familiar. "Sorry Queen. I got lost." He said, trying to catch his breath. His white ears drooped down, his face apologetic.

"No need to apologize. Sit, it's time to start the case." A large gabble was in the queen's hand, it slammed onto the wooden desk. A loud smack resounded through the room, the audience applauded. "Lee Sungyeol, you know what you did wrong, correct?"

"No." The boy was getting sick of all the bull. "And I don't want to find out." Hoping off of the podium, he was heading towards the double doors.

"Nu-uh, not so fast." Hoya who Sungyeol hadn't seen until now stopped him. "Lee Sungyeol, subject number 444, you cannot escape until the trial has ended." The monotone voice wasn't that of Hoya's. Sungyeol thought he knew his basketball captain better than that.

Before he knew it, he was back at the podium again, microphone pressed against his cheeks.

"Your crime list is just expanding, Lee Sungyeol. You must repent for all of your sins." The queen declared. Everyone in the room nodded approvingly.

"What is wrong with you all?" He shouted. A squeak from Sungjong and the room was otherwise quiet.

"Nothing's wrong with us. There is, however, something wrong with you." L smirked, stepping down from the jury's seat. He came near the podium, tilting Sungyeol's chin up. "You're not dreaming, I'm afraid." A kiss was all it was and Sungyeol never woke up again. Alice was forever lost in the lands of dreams, a place where a rabbit calls out "I'm late! I'm late!" in a high, shrill voice. She - no, rather he is stuck in a place where a man who always smirks with a top hat on teases him, where a man speaks in riddles, where a cat says things twice, where a man can never leave his teacup, where a guard was never letting him leave, where a person cloaked in red has royal as her name treats him as mere dirt. He suffers, he cries, he'll never wake up though, I'm afraid.

 


A/N I'm starting a little fairy tale themed remake. Any suggestions on what I should do next? I always wanted to twist Snow White around. Meh, we'll see how my brain likes it.