Final

A Funny Thing Happened on the way...

 

Sohee held her breath, half jubilant, half frightened that Jiyong had asked her to give their renewed feelings for each other a chance - a mere 24 hours before she was supposed to marry another man. Bad Timing had her number on speed-dial.

 

"I love you, Sohee. I think I always have. Since we met again, I’ve thought of nothing but you," he murmured. "I hope you don’t marry this guy, but I’ll abide by your decision." He kissed her again, a lingering kiss that left her boneless. Then he strode to the back door and disappeared into the storm.

 

**********

 

"Sorry I’m late, sis." Wooyoung rushed into the dressing room, straightening his bow tie.

 

Sohee was so nerve-racked, her hands weren’t steady enough to strangle him. "Where have you been?"

 

"I overslept. Jiyong showed up at my hotel room last night with a six-pack, and we stayed up talking."

 

Which explained why Jiyong hadn’t answered the number she’d obtained from directory assistance. She’d called to find out how she could return his class ring, but when the tone sounded, she’d hung up.

 

"I knew Jiyong would make something of himself," Wooyoung continued. "He’s a hotshot engineer. Has a motorcycle, a sports car, and a house in Itaewon."

 

Why couldn’t he have been a used-car salesman living in a Ford Tempo®? "I’m getting married in 15 minutes - I’d rather not hear about Kwon Jiyong setting the world on fire."

 

"He asked a lot of questions about you."

 

She averted her gaze. "Like what?"

 

"This and that," he teased. "I’d forgotten that the two of you went to the prom. Small world, eh?"

 

Minuscule.

 

"I asked him to come today, but he said he didn’t have the heart for it. Hey, is something wrong, sis? Having second thoughts?"

 

"N-no." Last night she was having second thoughts. Today she was into the hundreds. But how could she call off the wedding for a fantasy?

 

"Come on, Khun had a good reason for being late for the rehearsal."

 

She sighed. "Have you seen Suzy?"

 

"Yeah, she’s in the hall, bawling. I’ve never seen so many long faces at a wedding."

 

Sohee had snapped at everyone in her path today, Suzy included. "It’s the weather," she lied. Hurricane Roy was still wreaking havoc.

 

"Yeah, the weather stinks, but at least Mom and Dad made it."

 

"Yeah. Wooyoung, do you like Khun?"

 

"Sure. But he’s not the kind of guy who elicits a strong reaction one way or the other."

 

The wedding director stuck his head inside. "You’re on in two, doll."

 

She thought she might be ill. Wooyoung tucked her arm into his and her next conscious thought was standing in the doorway of the chapel. Faces swam before her. The organist banged on the keys to be heard over the pounding rain. A far cry from the wedding of her dreams. She inhaled deeply.

 

And was instantly assailed with the hiccups.

 

Through a haze she saw that Suzy was still crying. She’d apologize later for being so cross with her. Hiccup.

 

She focused on Khun. Sweet, dependable, let’s-have-a-long-engagement Khun. He, at least, was smiling.

 

Or was that a grimace? Hiccup.

 

At the altar, her brain ceased to process signals. The minister’s voice droned on and on, his voice fading in and out.

 

"If any person can show just cause why this man and woman should not be legally wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

 

She hiccupped, making a great sound. The minister lifted his eyebrow. "I changed my mind," Sohee blurted.

 

"I slept with Suzy," Khun exclaimed.

 

"I’m in love with Khun," Suzy wailed.

 

The pronouncements cured Sohee’s hiccups. But the shocked aftermath was overridden by a loud roar. The church roof was about to be ripped off - she’d be swept to Jeju before she could find Jiyong to tell him she loved him, too.

 

The roar barreled down on the church entrance. She turned and her heart vaulted at the sight of Jiyong, soaked to the skin, riding a black motorcycle into the church. The wedding party ran for cover as he wheeled down the aisle. Except Sohee, whose satin pumps were rooted to the spot.

 

Jiyong came to a sloshy stop. Water dripped from his helmet, his nose, his arms. His chest heaved. "I can’t do it, Sohee. I can’t stand by and watch you marry another man."

 

Sohee’s internal organs were behaving strangely. Her life had been careening toward this moment since birth. "Is there room on that bike for a seven-and-a-half-foot-long train?"

 

The joy on his face answered every question remaining in her heart, and every question she could imagine for the future. Sohee tossed her bouquet to Suzy, and bounded onto the bike behind Jiyong. She was vaguely aware of protests from her parents, but Wooyoung gathered the precious train and handed it to her with a wink.

 

She clung to the man she loved as they rode out of the church. The rain had slacked, and she lifted her face to the cleansing drizzle. A spot of blue sky shone on the horizon.

 

"How much of this are we going to tell our kids?" he called over his shoulder.

 

Sohee hugged him tighter and shouted, "Maybe we should just say that a funny thing happened on the way to Mom’s wedding!"

 

The End