Chapter Five

A Funny Thing Happened on the way...

 

Sohee’s mouth tingled as Jiyong’s gaze swept over her face. She was torn between wanting him to kiss her-just to satisfy her curiosity-and wanting him not to kiss her-because if it were incredible...

 

He wet his lips, and she wet hers involuntarily. His class ring felt significant on her hand-had he meant for it to? Was she reading too much into this serendipitous reunion? Was the knot in her stomach pre-wedding jitters, legitimate unease about marrying Khun , or the unexpected seed of feeling for Jiyong?

 

Jiyong leaned closer, and her breath caught in .

 

Suddenly the lights flickered and the room was plunged into blackness. Her own gasp was drowned out by shrieks and shouts of the guests as the storm unleashed a deafening crack of thunder. Jiyong’s hand closed around hers and he tugged her forward. "Come with me," he murmured, and her feet obeyed him.

 

She couldn’t tell in which direction they were heading, only that they were moving away from the chapel, based on the diminishing voices. With her free hand, she felt in front of her and stumbled twice, each time saved by Jiyong’s strong arm. Sohee had the sensation of passing through doorways, and down a hall.

 

And then they were in a small room on the back of the church, a kitchen of some kind, the room lit every few seconds by flashing lightning streaming in the tall, narrow windows.

 

Jiyong closed the door behind them. His kiss seemed simultaneous, but she was primed for the feel of his mouth on hers. The years evaporated as his arms encircled her, and his kiss explored the depths of her commitment to another man.

 

Every nerve ending sang, every dormant passion sprang to life. She looped her arms around his neck and her fingers threaded his thick hair. He smelled of soap and spicy aftershave and he felt solid wrapped around her. He groaned into , and she felt utterly female.

 

His enthusiasm for her lifted her to a new sensual plateau, a place she’d never visited with Khun. In the course of a split second, she imagined Jiyong in her bed, as a father to her children, sharing the kind of rock-solid love that would endure. If she married Khun, would she be giving up a once-in-a-lifetime chance at legendary love?

 

But even as Jiyong’s hands slid down her back, she wondered if her body was betraying her at this vulnerable juncture of her life. Khun’s kind face flashed in her mind, but if she loved him, could she be so easily distracted by Jiyong? Would she be consumed with the desire to make up for lost time with her first love?

 

A humming sound filled the air, then the room was flooded with light. They parted in surprise, then Jiyong clasped her face in his hands. His eyes were luminous, his expression grave. "Sohee, I’ve thought about you for years, never dreaming you felt anything for me. This is a sign, us meeting again. Tell me I’m not imagining this chemistry, this energy between us."

 

"You aren’t," she whispered. "But I’m so confused. I’m getting married tomorrow, Jiyong. To another man."

 

"Give me a chance to be a part of your life, Sohee. Give us a chance."