Chapter Two

A Funny Thing Happened on the way...

 

No, Sohee's mind screamed. You don't know me, not the real me. If only things had been different that night...

 

"I'm sorry," Jiyong said, stepping back. "I thought you looked famil - "

 

"Yes," she blurted, some erse part of her reluctant to see Kwon Jiyong walk away. "You do know me." Her voice sounded squeaky to her own ears. "I'm...Ahn Sohee. We went to - "

 

"The prom." Jiyong flashed a wondrous, wide grin. "Ahn Sohee. Wooyoung's little sister - how could I forget?"

 

"You couldn't," Sohee said wryly. She herself had considered hypnosis.

 

"This is unbelievable." He ran a hand over his cropped, spiky hair. "I've been in Seoul for two days and I've already met an old friend."

 

Old friend? Call her crazy, but she didn't want to be old any more than she'd ever wanted to be Kwon Jiyong 's friend. Friends didn't make babies together - after many, many creative attempts. In her dreams.

 

Suzy 's meaningful throat-clearing jarred Sohee from her scrambled musings. "Kwon Jiyong, this is Bae Suzy."

 

"Hi," Suzy said, donning a high-wattage smile. "I'm Sohee's maid of honor."

 

His gaze darted back to Sohee. "You're getting married?"

 

"This weekend," Suzy sang.

 

Sohee  spotted another skateboarder whizzing down the street and considered giving Suzy a push. Instead, she conjured up a smile and patted the rumpled green plastic bag. "Have gown, will marry."

 

"Did you make your own gown?" he asked, one side of his mouth pulling back.

 

Sohee  flushed. "N-no. I d-don't sew much anymore." That darn prom dress was the first and last garment she'd attempted to make. The twinkle in his eyes sent a shiver over her shoulders.

 

Jiyong surveyed the tousled Ahn Sohee and had the most bizarre urge to grab her hand and find out what she'd been doing for the past 15 years, besides filling out in the most becoming way. Of course, she'd been plenty curvy at the age of 15, as he'd witnessed first-hand when the seams of her prom dress had failed her. Only his sympathy for her humiliation that night had kept his libido under wraps.

 

Man, how often he'd thought of her sweet innocence over the years, every time he dated another woman who was all wrong for him. He'd actually come close to marriage himself a few months ago - a near-death experience.

 

Funny how most men remembered their first time, while he recalled Ahn Sohee - the time that wasn't.

 

Suzy tapped her watch. "Sohee, we need to get back to work if you're feeling okay."

 

"I'll drop you off," Jiyong offered. "I'm parked in the corner lot."

 

"We couldn't," Sohee  said.

 

"We'd love to," Suzy said, giving Sohee's arm a yank.

 

 

He herded them toward his Ford Explorer. When he took the wayward dress bag from Sohee to store in the cargo area, he marveled at the irony of handling the wedding gown of the "one that got away." Shaking the teenage fantasies from his head, Jiyong climbed into the driver's seat. To his consternation, Suzy sat shotgun, while Sohee sat primly behind his seat.

 

"So what's Wooyoung up to these days?" he asked when they were under way.

 

"He still lives in Busan, but he's coming in for the wedding," Sohee said.

 

"Jiyong, you should come to the wedding!" Suzy exclaimed.

 

"Er, yes," Sohee seconded from the back with somewhat less enthusiasm. "My brother would l-love to see you."

 

Jiyong locked his gaze with her wide baby blues in the rearview mirror. He was tempted to go, but for all the wrong reasons. "When?" he asked, buying time for sanity to kick in.

 

"The rehearsal dinner is Friday night," Suzy piped up. "You could be my - if you want."

 

He shouldn't. He knew he shouldn't. Why stir up old feelings for Ahn Sohee when he would be a complete cad to act on them?

 

Ahn Sohee was getting married. He needed to remember that simple fact and keep away.

 

"What do you say, Jiyong?" Suzy asked. "Will you be my date?"