Part 4

Why It Never Worked

 

Kwangmin’s POV

 

I wonder how’s the condition of Youngmin right now. He looks better this morning compared from yesterday when he fainted. Is Donghyun-hyung taking care of him well? Hyung is a great and reliable leader right? I shouldn’t question him....but I’m his twin! I know him the most. Are the other members watching over him too? Jungmin-hyung is too noisy. I hope he keeps his voice down. Ugh, can I go home now?

 

“Kwangmin-ah...Kwangmin-ah!”

 

I turned to the person in front of me and blinked a few times. Shoot! I forgot for a minute that I’m in a date with Joomi. We’ve been here in the cafe for almost an hour now and I think my mind kept on drifting off towards my brother everytime she would begin to tell a lengthy story. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry...you were saying?”

 

She sighed softly and placed her hand on top of mine. I almost flinched and I’m glad she didn’t notice the tiny shock in my face. “You’re thinking about your brother right?”

 

“N-no! Of course not! We just had a tiring schedule yesterday, that’s all,” I tried to assure her. What she said was true but I didn’t want to embarrass myself by thinking about my brother during my date. I mean, who does that?

 

“No need to lie to me Kwangmin-ah. Even though we only met a few times you’re quite obvious to read.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes. Didn’t I tell you that the other members are there to take care of him? And you asked Donghyun-oppa to call you in case something happens right?”

 

I nodded. But no matter how much I try to reassure myself, I just can’t help but to worry.

 

“Why don’t we go somewhere livelier so you can take your mind off him a little?”

 

Her suggestion seemed to tick me off a little. I’m sure she didn’t mean anything wrong with what she said. But no one tells me when and when not to think about my brother.

 

I immediately stood and she was quite startled by my action, “I’m sorry but I can’t stay here. I need to be there.”

 

“K-Kwangmin?”

 

“Let’s just hang out some other time,” I grabbed my cap, sunglasses, bag and coat and dashed out of the cafe. I hailed a cab and gave the address of our dorm to the driver. I told him to go as fast as he can. I don’t even know why I’m hurrying. Donghyun-hyung hasn’t called so I guess nothing worse has happened so far. I’m pretty sure that Joomi is angry at me right now for leaving her like that. Anyway, I’ll just take care of that later.

 

After what seemed like an eternity for me, I finally arrived at the dorm. I opened the door and almost bumped into Hyunsung-hyung as I ran heading towards our room.

 

“Kwangmin! Thank goodness you’re here. We were about to call you!” Minwoo exclaimed. He was beside the bed along with Donghyun-hyung and Jungmin-hyung. They seemed to be comforting Youngmim who was crying softly. Without a second thought, I ran to my twin and touched his face. His high fever is definitely back.

 

“What happened?”

 

“We don’t know,” it was Donghyun-hyung who answered. He was well this morning and I thought he was getting better but he’s temperature rose again. He was crying and calling your name a while ago...that’s why we were about to call you.”

 

I looked at my twin and he was sobbing lightly. I felt terribly guilty for even thinking of leaving today. I sat at the bed and pulled my twin in a tight embrace. Our position was quite uncomfortable but I just want him in my arms for a moment.

 

“K-Kwangmin?” he asked in a tired voice.

 

“I’m here. I’m sorry for leaving you...”

 

Tears were running down from his eyes again so I kissed the top of his head. Donghyun-hyung signalled for the other members to leave us alone for now and I was thankful for that. I laid him down again in a much more comfortable position and I followed suit. He automatically snuggled closer to me and we cuddled just like how we did last night. I noticed that he was clutching the back of my shirt tightly like he didn’t want to let me go. I’m not sure if the fever is causing him to do things unconsciously or...no, it’s impossible.

 

“Did I ruin your first date with Joomi?” Youngmin suddenly asked in such a small voice I wouldn’t have heard it if we weren’t this close right now.

 

“You shouldn’t think about that right now.”

 

“I’m sorry anyway...”

 

“Shh...it’s okay. Just rest.”

 

“Kwangmin, one last thing...”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Just do whatever it is that will make you happy. If you’re happy with her then I’m fine with that.”

 

I didn’t know what to reply. I can’t wholeheartedly say right now that I am happy with her. I don’t also want to trouble my twin further especially with his condition so I just nodded and embraced him tighter until he fell asleep.

 

The doctor came to check on him again and said we had nothing to worry about. This time, I never left my twin’s side and made sure that I was the one taking care of him. Donghyun-hyung offered to watch over him too in case I’m tired but I think I freaked him out when I shouted at him and told him I can handle it myself. After two days, Youngmin’s health was finally back to normal.

 

 

Youngmin’s POV

 

I don’t know if I should call my sickness a blessing or a curse. But I have to admit that I had enjoyed every attention Kwangmin gave to me. I was moved when he came home way earlier from his first date because he was worried about me. I had also felt the happiest when I am in his embrace. I just hope he didn’t notice how tight I clenched his shirt because I was afraid he would let me go so soon. Despite all of this, I don’t want to drown myself in these happy emotions because I know I would just get hurt and disappointed in the end. My twin doesn’t see me that way. I have to learn to accept it and completely move on. Perhaps that would be the last time I would allow myself to get carried away by his sweet gestures. I don’t want to be greedy and ask for more. I need to let go of this already.

 

It’s 3PM and I was alone in the dorm. The other members are out for rehearsal. I could only return to my schedules tomorrow because I just got healed and they didn’t want to tire me out. But I have something to do today. I grabbed my phone and searched in my contacts for her name - Park Joomi. I got her number from Kwangmin’s phone when he was in the bathroom. I can’t waste much time because they’ll be back by 5 so I immediately pressed the call button.

 

“Hello? Who’s this?

 

Joomi-ssi, this is Youngmin. I got your number from Kwangmin.

 

Oh! Hello Youngmin-ssi! Is something the matter?

 

Uhm...are you free later? I just want to talk to you regarding my brother.

 

"Well...yeah! I'm free.

 

I gave her the name of the cafe where we would meet and it turned out it was the place where Kwangmin and Joomi had their supposed to be “first date”. I arrived there first and she came just 5 minutes later. It’s the first time I had seen her since middle school and I have to admit she was indeed pretty. Someone Kwangmin would definitely fall for. We greeted each other formally and she then asked me about Kwangmin.

 

“So, what do you want to tell me about Kwangmin?”

 

I swallowed a lump in my throat and prepared myself mentally. It’s actually the first time I will have a private conversation with one of Kwangmin’s girlfriends.  Well, here it goes. “From the moment he debuted, he had eight girlfriends already.”

 

Joomi gasped and before she could start assuming things, I immediately backed up what I said.

 

“It’s not what you think! My brother is not a playboy. He’s not that kind of person. He didn’t date all of them at once and he really liked each one of them.”

 

“But...how come he had eight?”

 

“Kwangmin can be easily attracted by girls and he often mistakes his infatuation for love. This kid never learns.”

 

She suddenly laughed and said, “You sound like you’re way older than him when in fact, you’re twins.”

 

I smiled. That’s exactly how we are. “Even though I’m just 6 minutes older, I’m still his hyung. Therefore, I have to take care of my childish brother. I wanted to meet up with you to tell you these things. I told my brother to stop having relationships for a while and he seemed to agree. But when he met you, he said that he felt things might be different with you. Whether this works or not, I just want him to be happy. He’s really hard to understand. The other members often tell me that. He’s weird and childish but those are his charms. I hope you will be able to understand him more and please...take care of him.”

 

She was silent for a while and then she gave a soft understanding smile, “You two...you really care about each other.”

 

I tried not to smile widely at her statement.

 

“Alright Youngmin-ssi. I will take note of everything you had told me. Thank you so much for telling me all of these.”

 

“Thank you for your time too Joomi-ssi.”

 

We parted and went towards a small park with a few kids playing around. I hid myself behind a huge trunk of tree so that others will not see me. Right there, I allowed myself to cry a little.

 

“Noona, why are you crying?” a small skinny kid holding a toy robot suddenly appeared in front of me.

 

“Young man, I’m not a noona. I’m a hyung.” I laughed a little while wiping my tears.

 

“Woah! I can’t believe a boy can be this pretty! But why are you crying?”

 

“Hmm...it’s because I had let go of something I really want for myself.”

 

The boy clicked his tongue and tried to look mature, “That’s why a lot of people can’t be happy. They don’t know how to be selfish even just a little.”

 

“You know, being selfish is a bad thing. There are things you need to let go so other people can be happy.”

 

“You don’t understand noona! I mean, hyung! See this cool robot that I’m holding? The bigger meanie kid that was here a while ago wanted to take this from me. No one will get hurt if I just give this to him. But I know that if this robot gets in that kid’s possession, this robot won’t last for too long and will get in a bad condition because he doesn’t know how to take care of his toys like I do! And this robot is very precious to me! Therefore, I will fight for this and will now allow him to take hold of this! I was selfish for keeping this robot to myself because I know that it will be safer with me. There are things in this world that we selfishly keep because we know that we deserve it.”

 

I was stunned by what he said and the words floated around my head for a while.

 

“Eunmin! Where are you?!”

 

“Oops, my mom’s calling me. See you again noo- hyung! I hope you’ll find your own happiness too!”

 

He waved goodbye and I didn’t get a chance to respond properly. After lingering for a moment there, my phone rang and I answered without looking.

 

YOUNGMIN!

 

Kwangmin? Why are you shouting?

 

Where the hell are you?! We just got back and you’re not here!

 

Sorry...I wanted to buy something.

 

You should’ve called me!

 

Sorry...I forgot...

 

It’s okay. Sorry for shouting. Come home quickly ne? Do you want me to pick you up?

 

No, I'm good. I'll go home now.

 

I smiled as I hang up the phone. For some reason, my heart felt lighter. I passed by a store and something caught my eye. I bought it before hailing a cab to bring me home.

 

When I opened the door to our dorm, the members were all waiting for me in the living room.

 

“Finally you’re back! Kwangmin couldn’t settle down even though he called you already!” Jungmin-hyung said.

 

Kwangmin’s face turned red and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

 

“Well who wouldn’t?! My brother just got well he shouldn’t be outside!”

 

“I bought you something,” I shoved a plastic to his face and he instantly checked the content.

 

“Pikachu bread!”

 

“It’s my thank you gift for taking care of me.”

 

Kwangmin gave me one of his best smiles that I really love, “Thank you Youngmin.”

 

“Hey! We took care of you too!” Minwoo protested.

 

“Yeah! Where’s our thank you gift?!” Hyunsung-hyung followed.

 

Kwangmin stuck his tongue out to them and hugged his Pikachu bread possessively.

 

“Donghyun-hyung, ask for something!” Jungmin-hyung said.

 

“Hmm...I guess I can settle for a kiss.”

 

The members cheered and my eyes widened. But before I could utter my protest, Kwangmin beat me to it.

 

“Nooooooooooo! There’s no way I would allow it! Here! Take my Pika bread instead!”

 

We all looked at him dumbfounded before we burst out into fits of laughter. Kwangmin chased the other members around our little dorm and I enjoyed the sight. I am happy when he’s happy.

 

__________________

 

1-2 parts left ^^

Thank you for reading and commenting!

 

EDIT: The kid shouldv'e said noona instead of eonnie ^^;; corrected already, sorry lol