Bliss Only in Your Presence

Not All's Fair in Love and War

 

Love.

Is this what it felt like to be in love? Is this what it felt like to have someone to love and to have that person love you back?

Kibum felt like flying. Literally. Kibum felt like he has been walking on clouds with a wide grin permanently etched on his face ever since that wonderful day in the jungle with Minho. It has been about three days (Kibum lost count of hours when he was busy floating above cloud nine) and still, as clichéd as this may sound, the magic of Minho’s touch hasn’t worn off. If before he was longing to be with Minho, now Kibum was craving with a burning desire to be in the latter’s presence.

Despite all that, there was always some sort of a rain on Kibum’s parade of happiness. Try as he might to ignore the looks he received, Kibum would be lying if he were to say that it didn’t get to him, that it didn’t feed the nagging voice in his head that kept calling him a sinner. His love was, to put simply, forbidden. He was going against the law of nature, being with another male. He knew that it was wrong from all he has heard from his grandmother when she talked about her religion. He knew that he shouldn’t be doing this. This is when the internal battle in Kibum would always begin.

If it is so wrong, then why does it feel so right? Was it just the lust that is making it all seem right? But then again, this isn’t lust like Kibum presumed a long time ago. A lust, no matter how addictive, will always be recognized by your own conscious as nothing more than a want. This was love and Kibum KNEW this for sure. How? He knew this from the way it felt when Minho held his hand. It felt like he could die happy just holding Minho’s hand and Kibum wasn’t even exaggerating when he thought this. (Sometimes it feels like his heart would burst from all the overwhelming emotions he felt through that simple gesture.)

Besides, if it was lust, then wouldn’t Kibum be out there chasing after girls and probably doing very immoral things. Why on earth would he want to attempt these immoral acts with a very manly military man that resembles no woman?

Confusion. Kibum felt like he was always confused. But not for too long though, because once he sees Minho, all the confusions are thrown to the back of his mind so that he could just enjoy the presence of Minho. (It was hard to think anyway when Kibum’s boyfriend was busy trying to repeat their endeavors from a few days ago, only to end up with no time to do anything as intimate because of both their heavy workloads. The day ended more often than not with both of them being very uncomfortable in their pants.)

For now, Kibum will just have to go with the flow of things. They said that ignorance is bliss. Added with love, Kibum was in heaven and he had no intentions of changing that anytime soon.

 

Kibum yawned for the millionth time perhaps (because he lost count after three) as he stirred the stew that was boiling in the cauldron. A lot of men were gone today. Some important military mission, Kibum assumed. Kibum only saw two men staying behind so far and of course, Minho, who has taken to staring fixatedly at him for the past half hour. Yunwoo, who happened to be one of the men staying back, had spoken to Kibum when he arrived this morning. He was very polite too, oddly enough. It was something Kibum found strange due to the situation as of late but Kibum was grateful nonetheless for the politeness. It was nice to see after all the hostility he received usually.

“How do you do that, Kibum?” Minho asked suddenly, yanking Kibum out of his thoughts.

“Do what?” Kibum asked confused.

“Yawn so ily…” Minho explained with a mock serious expression. Kibum rolled his eyes exaggeratedly.

“Hahaha… Very funny…” Kibum replied with sarcasm.

“No seriously. It’s y. It makes me want to shove my tongue between your parted rosy lips and-“

“MINHO!” Kibum turned to Minho, his eyes wide in shock and disapproval and his cheeks burning.

“Why are you getting these ideas from watching me yawn?! Am I in the presence of a ert?!”

“Only for you, love,” Minho answered nonchalantly.

“Minho, are you really that ?” Kibum asked in more shock.

“I was kidding, Kibum. You looked tired so I wanted to wake you up,” Minho said, smiling cheekily.

“I’m awake now so well done, Minho!” Kibum applauded Minho with very little enthusiasm.

After a few minutes of the stew boiling, it was finally cooked. Minho was the first to eat since he had been complaining about his hunger from earlier. Kibum only sat beside him, hugging his knees to his chest while trying not to fall asleep.

Kibum was extra exhausted today because he had been forced to wake up early when the storm early this morning had torn a hole in his barn’s aluminium roof. He had been busy running around trying to fix the hole so that his animals and his stocks could stay dry. By the time he was done, the sun was already rising and hence began Kibum’s daily routine.

“Kibum, if you are tired, you should get yourself some sleep,” Minho said, concern in his voice. He put his bowl of stew down to place a hand on Kibum’s cheek, the only reason he wasn’t holding back being that there was no one around.

“I’m fine, Minho. I’ll sleep later…” Kibum said, brushing it off.

“Really, Kibum? ‘Cause that’s not what these dark circles under your pretty eyes are telling me…”

“You think my eyes are pretty?”

“I think everything about is pretty, but that is beside the point, Kibum. Don’t distract me,”

Kibum smiled at Minho. He received a warmer smile back.

“Seriously, Kibum. Go sleep in my tent for an hour or two. I’m sure noona wouldn’t mind staying with your grandmother for a bit longer,” Minho added. Kibum knew that Songdam noona wouldn’t mind although she would probably pretend like she did, being the drama queen she is. It wouldn’t hurt for Kibum to catch a few winks, would it?

“What are you going to do then?” Kibum asked, already convinced by his exhaust to follow Minho’s suggestion.

Minho only lifted his bowl of stew as an answer to Kibum’s question. Kibum understood and finally walked away to Minho’s tent.

As soon as he was in the tent, Kibum instantly crawled to Minho side of the tent and settled into his pillow. It smelt so strongly of Minho and it crossed Kibum’s mind briefly that he should steal it so that he could fall asleep to Minho’s scent every night. However, he resigned to just inhaling the scent on the pillow to engrave it into his memory. Oddly enough, this made Kibum feel energetic again and he couldn’t fall asleep.

After a few minutes of tossing around and touching Minho’s belonging, Minho finally came to check on him. When he saw a wide awake Kibum in the middle of folding Minho’s undershirt neatly, he had taken to crossing his arms and shaking his head in disapproval.

“What do I have to do to get you to stop working and just sleep?” Minho asked. Kibum only shrugged like a child caught in the act of stealing cookies. Minho sighed, taking off his shoes to come into the tent as well. Kibum made space for him as he laid back on to the pillow. Kibum looked down at the other curiously.

“What are you doing?” he asked Minho. Minho stretched out an arm on the pillow and gestured for Kibum to lie on it. Kibum shook his head. Minho pointed again. Kibum shook his head once again. This wordless battle went on for a few more minutes before Kibum finally had enough of it. He turned his back to Minho and lied down, leaving a significant distance between the two of them in case someone were to walk in.

Apparently, Minho didn’t care about that because the very next moment, Minho’s arm was around Kibum’s midsection, coaxing him closer. And how the hell was Kibum to refuse spooning with the latter?

Minho’s breath lingered on Kibum’s ear and brushed across his left cheek. With every exhale, Kibum felt the cold, moist air tickle his skin while Minho’s hand played with his fingers.

“I can’t sleep with you teasing me,” Kibum told Minho truthfully. He heard Minho’s amused chuckle from behind him.

“I’m not teasing you, Kibum. I don’t even know what you mean by teasing…” Minho said innocently. Kibum scoffed at this, making MInho chuckle again. Kibum looked above him to see the latter’s face smiling down at him in pure happiness. He stayed this way for a while before angling his head slightly to the back for Minho’s lips to find his in a slow, playful kiss.

When Minho pulled away not a few seconds later, grinning, Kibum found himself craning his neck for more. Minho’s laugh pulled Kibum out of his dazed state.

“Sleep, Kibum. You came here to sleep.”

MInho was right. Besides, Kibum didn’t want anyone to find them in a very compromising position. It would be better to stop while it was stoppable.

So, Kibum fell asleep in Minho’s arm, the latter following suit after a while with their exhaustion taking over.

 

Kibum woke up to loud voices that seemed to be quarrelling. He looked around himself and finally remembered that he was still in Minho’s tent. This knowledge made Kibum sit up the very next second and he scrambled out of the tent.

Sure enough, there was Minho looking about to murder someone while another man (Kibum recognized him to be Minho’s tent partner) was shouting at him. There seemed to be no one else around.

“-shared tent. Why can’t you do your filthy acts somewhere else?” the man was saying. Kibum immediately took a step forward to stop Minho from springing towards the other. But Minho was faster and in the blink of an eye, he had crossed the small distance between the both of them and was holding the man’s collar in his hands.

“Stop talking before I hurt you, you fool!” Minho threatened him in a low voice. Kibum was rooted to the ground, not knowing what he should do.

“Minho…” Kibum tried weakly despite his confusion, to stop any further violence.

“Oh look who’s up! Your !” the man hissed back spitefully and that did it. Minho threw a punch so forceful to the other’s face that the man landed back on his , clutching his nose. Kibum thought he heard the sound of bone crunching from the impact.

“How dare you hit me?!” the man yelled, springing to his feet. Kibum saw blood dripping out of his nose. He charged towards Minho. Minho didn’t seem to budge one bit.

“Minho, stop this!” Kibum said, worried. Minho was in no way strong enough or recovered enough to be fighting right now.

“Filthy bastard!” the man shouted in anger before lunging for Minho’s stomach. Minho avoided it expertly but he was not fast enough to escape the other’s next tackle. The very next moment the man had Minho’s hand pinned behind his back. MInho’s face scrunched up in pain from the stress on his still wounded back.

Kibum started panicking and in his delirious state, he couldn’t do anything but rush forward and try to push the man away from Minho.

“Get away from him!” Kibum half-shouted, half-pleaded, his hand grabbing the man’s hand that was gripping Minho.

“Don’t touch me, you filthy piece of crap!” the man said before pushing Kibum away roughly. The man pushed Minho forward onto the ground before moving to straddle him. Without any warning, he landed a blow to the side of Minho’s face roughly. Minho took the blow without even flinching as he struggled to overpower the other.

Angered and scared at the same time, Kibum ran forward again. This time he used sheer force to try and push the other away from above Minho but to no avail as the man was twice Kibum’s mass and very muscular.

“Didn’t I tell you not to touch me?!” Kibum heard the man shout before his vision was blocked by a fist.

Kibum fell back to the ground, pain shooting from his nose up to the very top of his head and to the very end of his toes. His vision blinded for a moment from the pain. Having never been in a fight before, Kibum experienced pain like nothing else from just a simple blow.

“KIBUM!” Kibum heard Minho call his name in alarm. Then, he heard more rustling before he finally gained the energy to open his eyes again.

Kibum saw that Minho was already out of the other’s hold and punching him senseless. The man was not backing down, though, and he still managed to land a kick or two between the punches to Minho’s legs. Knowing that Minho’s back was his weakness, the man used it to his advantage by repeatedly landing blows on it whenever he could.

“Minho, please stop…” Kibum pleaded, getting to his feet and approaching the two who were tangled up trying to hurt each other.

Suddenly, the man got hold of a thick bough laying on the ground and started swinging it wildly at Minho. Kibum screamed at the two of them to stop but no one heard him. Minho continued to receive blow after blow on his back.

“Please stop…” Kibum pleaded the man, crying now. He got close enough to grab hold of the other end of the bough. However, the man shook it violently out of Kibum’s grasp and with one swift swing, he landed a blow to the back of Kibum’s head.

The world started spinning. Kibum heard a shrill ringing in both his ears and his vision began to blur. He lost the strength in his legs as they turned almost jelly-like. Kibum reached to the back of his head as his knees hit the ground. He felt something hot and wet drip down the back of his head and onto his own fingers.

The last thing Kibum saw was the face of an angry white man that seemed so very familiar.

The last thing Kibum heard was Minho’s voice calling out his name.

Then, the world became black.

 

Kibum woke up to the drumming sound of his own heart that was so loud in his ears. His head felt like it weighed a ton and his eyelids a ton more.

Where was he? What happened?

Kibum used all the will power he had to open his eyes and take in his surroundings. It was dark but not too dark that Kibum couldn’t see a thing. He saw that he was lying on a mat on the ground. There were rows of what seemed to be boxes of medicines on one side while Kibum laid on the other side of a… what is he lying down in?

A tent…

Everything came back to Kibum’s memory. Sleeping with Minho, getting caught, the fight.

Oh, god! Where is Minho?

Kibum sat up after gathering as much power as possible. He ignored the incessant pounding at the back of his now bandaged head. His legs felt like lead and it wouldn’t move. But Kibum pushed himself to move. He had to see the Minho, to make sure that he is alright.

Kibum crawled out of the tent and got onto his feet slowly. It was dark outside too. There was no one around but Kibum could hear voices in the direction of where the main tent was. He could even see the light from a flame in that same direction. He started to make his way there, supporting himself up by grabbing onto random things.

Words became clearer as Kibum approached the clearing, but the pounding in Kibum’s head wouldn’t let him listen properly. Even though he was incapable of listening well, he could tell that it was not a very friendly conversation from the tone of the voice he heard.

Then, Kibum heard what he needed to hear. Minho’s voice. But it was weak. So weak. Kibum started walking faster.

“-saying is true, then why are there eyewitnesses saying otherwise, Minho?!” the General shouted at a frail looking Minho. He had no shirt on because of the multiple layers of bandages around his body. He looked like he had no energy to be standing and yet, he was forcing himself to. Kibum also noticed that among the crowd of military people gathered around them, was Jonghyun’s father, who was looking on with a wary expression on his face.

What was he doing here?

“I can’t tell you what to believe. The same way you can’t dictate what I should do, Uncle…,” Minho hissed the last word out venomously even in his weak state.

Minho’s rude comment earned him a slap on the cheek. Kibum flinched at the sharp sound of skin meeting skin. Minho remained stoic, aware of the eyes that were watching what was supposed to be private within his family. However, it was obvious that the word lost its value in Minho’s eyes a long time ago as Kibum had observed from the many things he has heard from Minho about his uncle.

What kind of a monster was this General? Minho was obviously hurt and here he was, humiliating him in front of a crowd of cruel men who wanted nothing more than to watch Minho suffer. Kibum felt rage boiling in him. Can being in the military really make one so heartless?

“Minho, are you alright?” Kibum asked loudly, approaching the other with the little strength he had left. Minho’s head whipped up at the sound of his voice. He caught hold of Kibum’s wrist to steady him while studying him with his eyes.

“Kibum, are you alright?” Minho asked the same question back to him. Kibum nodded weakly despite the protests of his neck against the movement. He noticed the uncomfortable expressions of the people around them at just that small physical contact. This obviously wouldn’t have been a problem normally, but with all those gossips going around, everything Kibum and Minho did seem to be amplified in a bad way.

It made Kibum wonder, if people reacted so violently based on just speculations, how would they react if those speculations were proven true? Surely, it can’t get any worse than this; it has already come to physical violence.

“You! You realize that you are the source of this problem? Aren’t you a man? Have you no pride? How can you be so accepting of these disgusting rumours?” the General said directly to Kibum. Kibum ignored him, still checking Minho with his eyes to make sure that he is alright besides the obvious fresh wounds that covered his body.

“What the hell are you doing?” the General yelled at him. Jonghyun’s father who had been standing aside this whole time took a step forward to stand beside Kibum, as though to protect him. The General seemed to be reminded of his presence there and quickly composed himself.

“Making sure he’s alright. Someone has to,” Kibum said, implying many things in just those two sentences. The General seemed to understand but he wouldn’t dare say anything about it for there were eyes of outsiders that were watching and to reveal family matters would only be degrading for himself.

“Kibum, watch what you say!” Jonghyun’s father reminded Kibum sternly. It made Kibum stop to think for a bit of the implications his words could have. Then again, the weak grip of Minho’s hand on his wrist reminded him of why he needed to have said that.

“Why do you care? You caused this!” the General spoke in a controlled voice.

“Just because you don’t care for him, doesn’t mean that I don’t,” Kibum hissed to him, gaining courage seemingly out of thin air. The General literally turned red with anger, the veins on his fair skin looking about to pop out.

“Kib-“ Jonghyun’s father began in a very disapproving tone, only to be interrupted by Minho’s voice.

“Kibum, don’t talk to him like that,” Minho said seriously. Kibum was surprised that Minho would stand up for his uncle despite all he has done.

“Dismiss!” the General said to the gathering men around them. Perhaps, now he was beginning to realize that revealing one’s family matter can be quite an embarrassment now that he was the one on the receiving end.

The army men began to disperse at the command, obeying their leader with no objection whatsoever in fear of him.

“Kibum, let’s go. I’m taking you home,” Jonghyun’s father said suddenly, with finality in his tone. Kibum looked at him and saw that very expression that he always wore when Jonghyun did something wrong.

“Wait a moment, Mr. Kim! I need a word with the boy in private,” the General said. Kibum faced him again and saw the malice in his eyes despite his calm expression. Minho’s grip on his wrist tightened in a protective manner.

“Why? He hasn’t done anything,” Minho said, his voice stronger now in determination.

“Shut up, Minho! Come with me, boy!” the General commanded. Minho didn’t say anything more but his hand on Kibum’s wrist wouldn’t loosen one bit.

“No, I’m taking him home,” Jonghyun’s father repeated himself. Kibum was surprised by just how powerful he sounded with the authority in his voice.

The General ignored Jonghyun’s father as he took a step forward towards Kibum.

“If you know what’s best for you, you would stay out of this place from now on. I don’t want you here. I don’t want you seeing Minho. If you do despite my specific orders, I can’t guarantee you that you would be as lucky as today, you hear me?”

“You can’t order me around like you do with the puppets you call military men!” Kibum said.

 The General came closer still, close enough to speak in a volume that only Kibum could hear. Kibum stood his ground, unflinching.

“Talk all you can now, boy, while you have someone to protect you. You are going to pay for all of this very, very soon, I assure you,” he whispered maliciously to Kibum and then, moved away.

Mr. Kim looked at Kibum questioningly. Minho, on the other hand, looked at Kibum as though he knew exactly what was going on.

“Take him home, Mr. Kim. And take very good care of him. He’s going to need it to get better,” the General said to Jonghyun’s father, fake concern in his voice. Then, he turned to leave after scowling one last time at Minho. Kibum watched him disappear behind the opening of the main tent, feeling numb.

What else was he to feel after being threatened to be murdered by a military General?

Minho followed Kibum and Jonghyun’s father off the camp site, despite Kibum telling him not to because of his weak state. He wouldn’t meet Kibum’s eyes as they walked. He seemed to be deep in thought. Jonghyun’s father was quiet too but Kibum knew the man enough to tell that this was the calm before a storm.

“Minho-yah, are you really okay?” Kibum had whispered to Minho out of the hearing range of Jonghyun’s father walking in front of him. He only received a small nod as an answer, hardly convincing. Kibum had a notion that something was wrong. His notions were further proven right when Minho refused to let Kibum touch his hand, moving his hand away casually.

“Son, just know that Kibum won’t be coming here anymore. Take care of yourself, alright?” Jonghyun’s father said in a fatherly manner to Minho when they were at a point of parting ways. Kibum looked at the older man in shock.

“Ahjusshi, you don’t understand. I have to-“ Kibum started. He had to let know both the men know that no threat is going to keep Kibum from coming back here for Minho. Jonghyun’s father may not understand why Kibum would want to be with Minho so much. But it’s not like explaining to him just what they were is going to make things any clearer for him. Therefore, Kibum had to simply let the other know that he was not backing down that easily.

However, Kibum was interrupted by words that he never wanted to hear leave Minho’s mouth ever.

“I don’t want you coming back here either, Kibum,” Minho said, his expression still stoic even as Kibum looked at him in pure shock. Words failed Kibum as Minho's heartless statement finally started settling in and the full extent of what it meant dawned on Kibum slowly.

 

(A/N) Hello people!!! Chapter 21 for you guys!!!

First of all, I AM SO SORRY FOR THE SUPER DUPER LATE UPDATE!!! :( My computer was acting up and I lost MY ENTIRE STORY that I had saved in my computer including the latest chapter! This chapter was rewritten from scratch and I was frustrated for the past few days because I just couldn't get it right!!! I think I have contracted  the very dreaded writer's block disease!!! :'(  I would rather give you guys a satisfactory chapter that is a bit late than a chapter I hate, on time. Hence, my late update! I'm so sorry guys!! OTL

With that out of the way, please tell me what you think of the story thus far!! Just tell me whatever you think! Is it good? Boring? Plotless?? Confusing? Inconsistent?? I really need your opinion guys!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! It's crucial you tell me because I have a big decision to make based on what you think... SO please (with the cherries on top) tell me~~~

I must go now... See you guys soon!! Have a good day people!! <3