Frustration

Not All's Fair in Love and War

Update (Refer to my A/N for comment replies. Thank you!)

“Halmeoni, I have all your medicines sorted and arranged in order of when to take it. Make sure you eat them, alright? Songdam noona will be here in a moment to take care of you while I’m gone….” Kibum reminded his grandmother while running around the house finishing all his chores. Kibum heard his grandmother whining in the kitchen and so he went to check on her.

She was sitting at the dining table, finishing up her breakfast, that Kibum had prepared early in the morning, while staring at the packets of tablets lined up in front of her. She sighed heavily looking at those dreadful pills.

“You treat me like a child, Kibum. I ought to be doing all these chores, you know?” she said, pouting. Kibum smiled at the old lady’s childishness. Kibum went to hug his grandmother from the back like she always liked him to.

“You have done enough for others, halmeoni. Now, it’s time someone else took care of you… Besides, I’m doing this because I want to and I have the time to. So tell me if it’s wrong of me to want to spoil my grandma a little?”

Kibum spoke mostly the truth, except the part about him having time to spare. Between his chores at home and at the barn, taking care of his grandmother and cooking at the base camp, Kibum has barely had the time to breathe lately. He felt like he hasn’t slept in years, the way his body was acting up now. And it has only been a week! But Kibum believed that it was nothing that he couldn’t handle. Kibum pulled himself through each day with only the intentions of seeing the people he love smile. Thankfully, that much was enough for Kibum.

“Alright, Kibummie… Just take care of yourself too alright? Don’t push yourself too hard. Do this for your grandmother’s sake,” Kibum’s grandmother advised him. Kibum nodded enthusiastically while getting up.

“Oh! One more thing, halmeoni. Please keep an eye on Taemin later when he’s collecting the eggs. He can be quite clumsy when not being supervised…” Kibum reminded his grandmother.

Kibum went to the back door of his house, beside which he kept a bag that he carried when he went to get groceries in town. He was planning to make a short trip to the market to buy the army men some meat (Minho has been dying for pork meat lately.)

“The things I do for this frog-eyed man… Aishh….”

It was Kibum’s turn to sigh now as he turned to leave his house. He waved his grandmother goodbye and told her to be careful around the house before leaving for town.

 

The people in town seemed to be in some form a frenzy today. Outrageous amount of people flooded the streets, which came as an utter shock to Kibum for these were the people that had been hiding at home in fear of the Japanese army all this while. Kibum was pushed, pulled, squeezed in the crowd as he made his way to the meat shop he usually visited.

“What on earth is going on here?” Kibum asked the meat shop owner (a young boy who looked only a few years older than Kibum himself) as soon as he reached the premise.

The boy proceeded to take Kibum’s order first before explaining what was happening in town.

“People are stocking up, of course….” the boy answered curtly.

“Stocking up for what?” Kibum asked, eying a couple that were fighting for the last piece of beef meat with another lady at the butcher shop next to the one he’s at. War changes people in inconceivable ways, doesn’t it?

“Haven’t you heard? It’s all over the news and radio!” the boy looked aghasted. He quickly went to turn on the radio that was perched on a shelf in his shop. The radio came alive with only sounds of statics at first. The boy adjusted it until they could hear a man’s voice speaking in what Kibum could now identify as Japanese.

“Mina-san….“ the voice droned on. Kibum gave the boy a questioning look.

“Wait for it…” the boy said, gesturing for Kibum to wait a while. Kibum really didn’t know what to expect.

“The announcement of the Japanese army directed to the residents of the village Yongin and Pocheon. Since both of your leaders have refused to cooperate with the General of the Army to surrender peacefully, we have been left with no options but to forcefully take over your villages. Before we do that, we will offer the people of Yongin and Pocheon one last chance to repent and accept their new leaders. We will have representatives visiting your villages to put up a notice about the tax payment to the Japanese Government which you are required to comply to. Disobey us and the results will be deadly. Show your faith to the Japanese rulers and your lives shall be spared. Long live Nihon!”

Kibum could not help staring at the radio blankly for a few seconds even after the announcement was over. A new round of the same announcement started playing on loop in Japanese now. The boy shut it off with a very unpleasant expression on his face, moving to get Kibum’s order ready.

“Really ticks you off, doesn’t it? This is why people are stocking up. So that they won’t have to leave their homes when the Japanese really show up and of course, to avoid being imposed the tax for the things they buy. We’ve all heard the rumours about those bastards and what they’re capable of,” the boy said, passing Kibum back his bag full of pork meat now.

Kibum could only nod in agreement, quite dumbfounded by the fact that his hometown, the only place he had had so far to run away from the stupid army men was about to be invaded. A small part of him already expected this to happen but not so soon. They were also going to have to pay tax to the Japanese now, a fact that annoyed Kibum to no end. Why were they being forced to pay those oppressors when it was their own hard work that helped them earn the money in the first place?

It was with this bad mood that Kibum made his way to the base camp, pork meat in one hand, a fist formed in the other out of frustration. Today, he didn’t even bother acknowledging the men he passed by (who have all gotten used to seeing Kibum around by now.) Kibum got to work as soon as he reached his work station, doing all his work in autopilot and with no conscious thought.

In all his carelessness, it was not surprising that Kibum almost poured boiling water over himself while transferring it from the small kettle into the pot.

“Careful there! You’re gonna burn yourself at this rate,” Kibum heard a gruff man’s voice say. He turned around and saw the man he had seen on the very first day he got here. He remembered this man because he was the only one who seemed particularly happy that day. Even now, he was smiling away like he had no care in the world. But Kibum couldn’t help feeling that the smile was not genuine, condescending even.

“I’m fine,” Kibum answered none too politely, being in the awful mood he was. He continued his work, ignoring the man’s fixed stare on his back.

“What’s the matter? You seem to be gloomy…” the man probed, much to Kibum’s annoyance. He had been ignored thus far, not even being spoken to for the past few days. And that was the way Kibum preferred it to be. Why was this man interrupting his peace then?

“I don’t think it’s any of your business.”

“Woah, careful there, boy. You’re lucky I’m not so rash when it comes to using my gun. I can’t say the same for the rest of us here, I’m afraid,” the man sneered in a very obnoxious voice. Kibum pointedly ignored him this time by turning to face the other way.

“Sad that your man’s not here?”

This caught Kibum’s attention. He almost dropped the tools in his hand as his head turned swiftly in the direction of the man. He turned a little too fast, in fact, that it took a while for the blood to start flowing into his head at a normal rate.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Kibum barked the question at the other guy, who was smiling conceitedly now.

“Oh sorry, I meant to ask if you’re sad that you haven’t seen Minho today…”

Kibum had a hard time believing that that was actually what he had meant to ask. The man put on a very good act of being innocent. Could he possibly be suspecting something about Kibum and Minho?

“If you have something to say, just say it out loud!”

“Relax, boy. You two just seemed to be joined at the hips or something so I assumed that that must be reason you looked so down,” the man explained, looking so arrogant that it made Kibum want to hurl something at his face. Luckily, Minho chose that exact moment to make an appearance, saving Kibum from a fistfight that was bound to happen sooner or later with this man.

“Is there a problem here, Kibum?” Minho asked, lowering his rifle from his back as he came to stand beside Kibum. He wore a questioning look while looking at the other man.

“Minho, you’re back! We were just having a friendly chat, weren’t we?” the man said to Minho, still wearing that annoying smile. Minho looked from Kibum to the man with a raised eyebrow.

“Okay…,” Minho dragged the syllable out, unsure.

After a few more awkward minutes of the three of them standing around, Kibum remembered that he had a soup to be tending to. The man made an excuse to get away from them, thankfully. Minho took a seat by the cooking tent watching Kibum.

“So what was going on when I came? Was he annoying you?” Minho asked. He slid the rifle off his shoulder to place it on the ground, wincing a little when the strap brushed against the bandage on his back. Kibum put the fire out since he was done cooking and went to check on Minho.

“Is it still bothering you?” Kibum asked in concern, squatting in front of Minho to meet his eye level.

“Not when you’re here…” Minho answered cheekily and Kibum rolled his eyes exaggeratedly, making a move to stand up again. He stopped when Minho held his hand to keep him in place.

“What? I’m being serious,” Minho answered with a straight face, a smile threatening to break out any second now. Kibum pulled his hand out of Minho’s.

“I told you not to do this when we’re outside, didn’t I? We’re raising suspicions as it is,” Kibum reminded the other in a harsh whisper. Minho seemed to be offended by this.

“Well, I’m sorry for wanting to hold my boyfriend’s hand. I’d think that he would like it as much as me,” Minho said.

Kibum sighed heavily in frustration. He stood up and crossed his arms, staring down at the other.

“This is exactly what I mean! You have to be careful of what you’re saying and doing. We don’t need any extra attention. I already have enough to worry about as it is!” Kibum voiced out, the pent up stress over the week was fuelling his words. Minho stood up at this too.

“I only do what I do because I…-“ Minho paused to look around warily, “-care a lot about you. Kibum, if you think what we have is a nuisance to you then I’m afraid that I can’t do anything about it.”

“Don’t twist my words around Minho. I never said that. All I said was that I don’t need people giving me a hard time for this because I already have enough problems!”

It was becoming harder for Kibum to keep a low tone now.

“If people were going to give you a hard time, don’t you think that I will be affected too? Do you think that I will allow you to go through that alone? So tell me, Kibum! What problems do you have?!”

“Nothing! Alright? I’m perfectly fine.”

“Nothing?”

“Yes! Now drop the subject, will you?” Kibum said, having no more strength to argue with the only person he looked forward to seeing everyday.

“Really, Kibum? ‘Cause you sure sounded like you were having a hell lot of problems!” Minho asked, his voice causing several men to look their way. Kibum reached his bursting point at that statement.

“Yes, Minho! I’m so bloody stressed out, alright?! There is an army of morons out there planning on taking the peace in this safe place I call home away from me and I don’t know what the hell the British army is doing about any of this! It is only normal that I would be just a little tensed up about this, don’t you think?”

“Don’t you think that those of us in the army would be under more pressure than a civilian would be? Don’t take your anger towards all army men out on me, Kibum! I thought you were more mature than that!” Minho snapped back at Kibum.

“Mature? That’s rich coming from you! You don’t know half the things I’m going through right now and yet, you assume that I’m simply ‘taking out my anger on you’,” Kibum stated, matter-of-factly. Exactly where these words were coming from, Kibum had no idea.

“There it is again! What problems do you have? Tell me, will you?!” Minho seemed to be turning red with fury the longer the argument continued.

“You want to know my problem? I’ll tell you! I wake up every morning before the sun rises to do all the chores around my house and take care of my grandmother. Then, I go to the town and find out that an army of morons are planning on stealing my peace. After that, I come here to cook, only to have another army moron asking me weird questions about you and I while I’m trying to work. To top it all of, the person that I’m doing all this for can’t even bring himself to understand what I’m going through and goes off making dumb accusations. So excuse me, Minho, for feeling a little stressed out!” Kibum released the train of words that weren’t even filtered by his brain.

A few men who were lining up to get their food looked their way, wondering what all the harsh whispering was about. One of them even asked Minho if everything was alright, to which Minho answered with a plastic smile.

“Have I been troubling you by making you visit me everyday, Kibum?” Minho asked in a much softer tone than before. Suddenly, Kibum was wishing that he had thought of what he was saying before he had said it.

“Minho, I didn’t-“

“I have, haven’t I?” Minho said, sounding resigned. Kibum regained all his senses that he lost during the argument earlier and he saw the kind of effects his words could have had on Minho.

Minho took a step back from Kibum when he tried to reach for the former’s hand.

“I’m just going to go for a walk,” Minho said simply, turning away from Kibum to leave.

“Minho, listen. I didn’t mean-“

“I’m sorry for troubling you, Kibum,” was all Minho said as he walked away from Kibum.

 

Kibum waited for an hour. And then another. But Minho never came back, which is why Kibum was on this wild goose chase now. Kibum has practically roamed the forest all around the perimeters of the base camp and still he saw no signs of the other. The only place left to search was along the small creek that ran in the forest. Kibum ran to the place, the only reason he was not calling out for Minho’s name being that the British army had to keep a low profile in the forest.

When Kibum reached the creek, his eyes immediately scanned along the banks for any signs of movement. Kibum almost broke down in tears of joy when his eyes found a tall figure seated on a rock at the far end of the bank, throwing something into the creek.

“Minho…” Kibum said as he approached the other. Minho looked up at him. Contrary to Kibum’s expectations, Minho actually smiled up at him although the smile was small and sad.

“Kibum…” he said softly.

“I was worried when I couldn’t find you after searching so far. I thought I… I…” Kibum didn’t know how to finish.

“Sorry, Kibum. I just needed some time to think…”

“You ran off before I could finish. About what I said before, yes, it’s all stressful. But it’s worth it Minho, so worth it when I get to see you everyday,” Kibum admitted sincerely, regretting his slip of words earlier that led to this mess in the first place.

Minho smiled. He answered with a gentle voice that Kibum heard very rarely and that he felt was reserved for him alone.

“Kibum-ah, there’s no one here. Would it be okay for me to hold you?” Minho asked.

Kibum rushed to Minho and kneeled in front him. He wrapped his arms around the other tightly, telling Minho to hold him all he wants, without using words.

“I can be really thoughtless sometimes, you know? How could I have not seen all your problems before?” Minho said into Kibum’s hair. His arms formed a tight grip around Kibum’s torso.

“So can I, Minho. I’m so stupid to be blaming others for my own problems. I’m so sorry, Minho…” Kibum admitted, on the verge of tears and barely holding back.

“I’m sorry too, Kibum…” Minho said, rubbing Kibum’s back in a soothing gesture. Something about the peace of the forest seemed to help them reconcile silently as they remained in each other’s arms for the comfort of it.

After a while, Minho led Kibum into turning around so that he was sitting between Minho’s legs on the forest floor, watching the slow motion of the water in the creek flowing. Kibum allowed Minho to hold his hands while he rested his head against the latter’s chest. Kibum has been needing this dearly as of late, as much as Minho. Just being in each other’s presence with no need to hide their feelings for each other was nice. They were able to do that here, where there were only trees to bear witness.

“Leave the medications with me, Kibum. I’ll have someone else do it for me. I don’t like seeing you go through so much trouble for me…” Minho said, breaking the comfortable silence.

“I can’t do that, Minho. I won’t…” Kibum answered stubbornly. Minho chuckled a little at Kibum’s childish choice of words.

“But why, my love?” Kibum smiled at the term of endearment Minho used, curling up closer into Minho’s front so that Minho’s breath tickled Kibum’s neck and shoulders. Kibum’s eyes followed Minho’s fingers that were tracing patterns on the back of his hands subconciously.

It was at times like this that Kibum wondered why something this pure between them would be considered tainted in the eyes of the public.

“Because those medications are my ticket to seeing you everyday,” Kibum answered honestly. Minho sighed at this.

“You deserve better than this, Kibum… I should be doing so much better for you…”Minho answered.

“You do enough, Minho. You make me smile just by existing. That’s a feat no other man has achieved before, I dare tell you,” Kibum answered haughtily.

“I do?” Minho asked, more in mischief than curiousity.

“Yes, you do.”

“What else do I do?”

“Well, let’s see. You get me so worked up over the tiniest things that I used to ignore before, like my untameable hair for instance. You keep me up til late in the night, reminding me of your touches and kisses. And most of all, you cause my heart to beat at this quick pace that I think is not very healthy whenever I see you. Do you see all the damage you’ve done Choi Minho?” Kibum finished. It felt good to say all these things that he felt out loud. It was always Minho that was being cheesy. Well, it was about time he had a dose of his own medicine, right?

“I love you too, Kibum, if that is what you were getting to saying…” Minho answered, warming Kibum from the inside with just those words. When Kibum turned his head slightly to look at the other’s expression, he saw the brightest of smiles yet to be worn by Minho.

“Minho, I have something to tell you…”

Minho nuzzled into Kibum’s neck and hummed, showing that he was listening.

“I lo-“ Kibum stopped abruptly when he heard the rustling of leaves and heavy footsteps approaching. Both of them stopped breathing at that moment.

“Minho, is that you?”

 

 

(A/N) Chapter 19!! Written over a week (in the time I had left after a dozen assignments and the torture most people would know as German.... OTL) I am dead tired now. I really want to reply to all the lovely comments now but I feel like I am going to fall unconcious on my keyboard any moment so..... I think sleep is a good idea.... :)

I'll reply comments tomorrow so don't be surprised if my story is updated again!! It won't be a chapter... Just replies to the wonderful comments my dearest subscribers leave me!!!! Thank you so much for reading and subscribing and commenting!!!! I really hope my updates are worth the wait because I try really hard to perfect my chapters.... :D If not then,,,,, :'(

Anyways, have a good day people!!!! <3

 

Updated on 10/9~~~

@atkluna~ OMG YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I can't believe that someone actually finds my fics WORTHY of recommending (I couldn't even have dreamt of it...) And who wouldn't die if Minho did that??!!! :O I would die if any one of them came within a 20ft distance to me!!!! *faints* *gets back up to finish replying XD* 

Yeah Minho has more issues to deal with and that means Key has more issues to deal with... Jinki...well, you'll just have to wait and see just what he is exactly.... :D Thank you for reading and commenting!! I really really really appreciate what you did for me.... Seriously... It means a lot to me..  :'( *tears of joy* <3

@anata_wa_shinda~ Awww.... *touched by your kindness* Thanks for understanding and your encouragement!!! I know you wanted the end of Chap 18 to continue but it didn't... :( But do not despair for I have surprises for you.... Very good surprises and very soon too... *wiggles eyebrows suggestively* Hehehehe...

Oh btw, Taejun is not Minho's uncle... He is just a leader at the camp while Minho's uncle is a general.. I'm sorry if I confused you... OTL... Thank you for reading and commenting!!! Good luck to you too with your studies and everything that you put your mind to!!! <3

@lostmytrinofthought~ I'm glad you liked this chapter!! ^^ About Minkey's future-well, what must happen must happen right? Like they say- it must rain before the sun shines, right? :) And thanks for your encouragement, I'm trying my best to not lose my cool but the new language is REALLY testing me!!! OTL.. Sorry I'm bothering you with my problems... Anyway thank you for reading and commenting!!! I wish you luck with whatever it is that you do as well!!! <3

@jess_mmam~ Imma reply both your comments here- I'm glad that you really enjoy my fluff ;) I'm a very cheesy person.... OTL... I'm so happy that my readers are so understanding... Thank you so much for your patience!!! Don't let your fear take over!! Just enjoy the present, okay? :) And your last line- HAHAHAHAAA!! I can feel your angst through the screen!!! XD Thank you for reading and commenting!! <3

@hardkoreluv~ It's nice to see your comment after so long!!! :D Don't worry, school's important so do what you have to, alright?! I totally understand cause I'm in the same position as you!! I'm glad you like the progression of the story!!! *jumps around excitedly for not letting you down thus far XD*

And, no, I don't intend on causing any health damages to my readers but I'm glad I almost did with you... *insert evil laugh* Seriously, though, don't be too sad. You shall receive what you want very soon, my dear reader... ;) Thanks for your concern about my parents- don't worry I'm used to this. My parents have been this way for as long as I remember. In fact they are the reason I started writing a looooooong time ago, just so that I can live in my imaginary world even if it's for a while.. I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with nonsense about my life!!! Anyways, thank you for reading and commenting despite your hectic schedule!!! <3

@shinestarsky~Unnie!!! Me likey that you likey!!! Hehehehe.... XD Thank you for reading and commenting!! <3 Fighting  unnie!!

@pyrroli~ HELLO THERE!!! I have succeeded!!! *victory dance* Why, you ask? I'll tell you why- I just converted a silent reader into a commentor!!! That's like a trophy for me so I hope you understand how much your comment means to me!!! :D Please keep anticipating my updates and I'll keep doing my best with my writing to not let you down!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING AND COMMENTING!! <3

@Hinataflower99~ Hallo there!! I'm really glad that you're enjoying my story so much!!! ^^ If you read my earlier comment replies I think you could see what I'm clearly hinting... But if you didn't, let me say it again for you- There are very good surprises awaiting my readers in the near future... Hehehehe... XD Honestly, all this anticipation is really making me nervous, I really hope the results turn out satisfactory.... (Or else I'm just gonna have to dig a hole in the ground and stuff my face in it to hide my embarassment- No big deal, right? OTL) Just kidding... Hehehehe... Thank you so much for reading and commenting!!! <3

@wuggypie~ Hello!! I haven't heard from you in a long time so it's nice to see your comment!! ^^ Oh man, I absolutely love leaving my readers in suspense!!! *insert yet another evil laugh* XD Thank you so much for reading and commenting!!! <3

@keybummie_~ OMG IT HAS BEEN AGES SINCE I LAST TALKED TO YOU!! I'm so glad that you commented!! You were one of my earliest readers and I thought I had disappointed you.... :'( But I'm glad to see that I haven't!!! I have a lot in store for Minkey and I'm excited as well to be honest!! I wanna see how my readers react to these things!!! :D Thank you so much for reading and commenting!!! Your comments are always loved!! <3

 

Wow, replying comments takes almost as much time as writing half my chapter!! Well, I must go now... I just had an inspiration and I must write before I lose it!!! See you guys in a new chapter soon!! Have a good day people!!! <3