BEHIND THE COVERS~

Behind The Covers

 

 

(3rd person POV)
 
"Good morning~" Yunho flashed a smile as he greeted his daily costumer, Jaejoong. Jaejoong bowed his head and smiled shyly, then went straight to the novel section of the bookstore.
 
 
He has been visiting that bookstore for about a year now. Everyday, he'd come and buy a novel or anything that is usable. Well, he really had bought A LOT, but keeps on going there. And it's because of his first love, Yunho, the owner of the bookstore. He was his sunbae when they were in high school, and became schoolmates again in college. So, right after Yunho graduated, he opened this bookstore since his family can afford to open one for him. Jaejoong asked a lot of people just to find Yunho's store, that's why when he found it, he didn't stop going there. Since he is a bookworm, he used this opportunity to see Yunho everyday. Actually, even though he has been buying all this items from the bookstore, he doesn't open it. He just have to see him, that's all that matters. He has a lot of books on his line-up, anyways. It's not necessary for him to open those yet.
 
 
Even though he's been loving the man for a long time now, he still don't want to confess. He is still scared. He's thinking that maybe, if he confess, Yunho will just reject him. The fact that he really might go away is already killing him, so why try to do it? Seeing him would be enough, as long as he can go near him.
 
 
In his usual spot, he started scanning newly released books. He was looking at the summary of a book when Yunho suddenly appeared on his side. He was shocked, and that made the book slip off his hands. Luckily, Yunho caught it before it reaches the floor.
 
 
"Hey~ Relax. Why are you so jumpy?" Yunho asked, giving the book back to Jaejoong..
 
"I.. I-i was just s-shocked.. Who wouldn't be?"
 
Yunho just laughed.
 
"What's so funny?"
 
"Nothing.. You're just cute. Are you going to buy that?"
 
"U-uhmm. Yes.."
 
"I'll go pack this, okay? I'll be right back.."
 
Yunho then left Jaejoong. When Yunho's already pretty far from him, he finally let out his breath. "That was close..."
 
 
To distract himself while Yunho's packing the book, he scanned the shelf again.. He wants to calm himself down. "My face.. I hope it didn't become red. That would be.. AH!!! Noooo. That would be too obvious.. Oh my gosh.." And he kept on babbling about random thoughts.
 
 
"Jaejoong~! I'm done.." Yunho said as he walked towards Jae.
 
'Fix yourself, Jae. Calm. Down.' Jaejoong thought.
 
"T-tha-thank you.. This is my payment. And.. Oh. I think I should go. BYE!" then Jaejoong left the store as fast as he could.
 
'What's with him?'
 
 
~
 
~~
 
 
Today, Jaejoong failed to come the store, and that made Yunho curious.
 
 
It's because he went to the hospital for a check-up. Yesterday, he had a nosebleed and his chest kept on thumping abnormally. To know the real cause of this, his mother told him to go the hospital.
 
 
~~
 
 
"Sorry.. But you have a heart diseases, that's why your heart is beating very fast. Regarding to your nosebleed, we saw in your examination that you have a leukemia..
 
 
Furthermore, we don't know how long you can still live.. But it wouldn't be.. thay long anymore.. Your time is running. I'm sorry.. Since we didn't put an immediate action because of the late detection, we can't do anything now."
 
 
Jaejoong couldn't take in all the things that the doctor said. He was in shock. It was like all those things he heard drained his energy.
 
 
'Why.. me? Why it should be me? I don't understand. I'm going.. to die.'
 
 
~~
 
 
He cried his heart out later that night. He was so sad. He can't die. He still haven't told Yunho about his feelings. All his sacrifices.
 
 
But then, he decided to keep it all. To keep it all in his mind until that 'day' comes. He'll die happy, remembering Yunho's smiles whenever he enters the door of the bookstore.
 
 
He'll still go there. That would make his soul happy.
 
 
~~
 
 
The routine continuously happened. He would buy a book, go home, put it on his shelf, lay on his bed then smile to himself. Again, for the sake of seeing Yunho. It's been two weeks since he visited the hospital. He had been talking to Yunho, too. He wants to be closer to him. He wants to leave this world with that kind of relationship with Yunho, a close friend.
 
 
~~
 
 
After another two weeks, Yunho received a text message from Jaejoong..
 
"Yunho-ya~ How are you? Sorry I can't come to your bookstore anymore.. ^^ And.. I'm pretty sick, that's why. But I'm already okay~~ I want you to know that I'm very glad that I became closer to you. I felt happy.. I thought I'm not going to exist to your world, but you let me in, that's why I thank you a lot :) Take care always, okay? I'll be always by your side."
 
 
He was overwhelmed by the message, but felt sadness as well. It was like Jaejoong is telling him a sweet goodbye.. He don't know what to think.. But a part of his mind had a hint...
 
 
~~
 
 
Early the next morning, Yunho's phone rang..
 
"Hello?" Yunho answered the call.
 
"Hello? Yunho-ssi?" It was a voice of an ahjumma.
 
"Yes.. Who's this?"
 
"T-this is Jaejoong's mom. C-can you.. p-please come over to our house today?"
 
"Ohhh. Sure, ma'am.. But, is there a problem?"
 
"Please, just come.." then the other line went dead.
 
 
~~
 
 
(YUNHO's POV)
 
I was getting near to their house when I saw people going to the same place as well.. I don't know, but I can really feel that something's wrong..
 
 
I went out of the car as soon as I arrive, and a woman immediately walked towards me.
 
 
"Hello, yunho-ssi. I'm the one who called you.." I can see in her eyes the sadness, and not doubt, she just cried. But... How come she's so sure that I am Yunho? We haven't met before.
 
 
"Hello, Mrs. Kim.."
 
 
"Please come with me inside.."
 
 
As soon as I stepped inside their house, my eyes got stucked to the coffin.. where.. Jaejoong.. Jaejoong is lying. I don't know how to react. He just texted me yesterday. He was so healthy the last time I saw him...My tears unconsciouly fell down from my eyes. He.. just left us.
 
 
But then I got distracted when his mom gestured me to come upstairs. She opened the door of a room, and I guess it's Jaejoong's room.
 
 
"Yunho-ssi. My son has been admiring you since high school. He really likes you.. That's why he kept on going to your bookstore everyday. But.. we discovered that he has a heart disease and leukemia at the same time... And... here." then she pushed a big box to my side.
 
 
"All the books that he bought are inside this box, and all of it are still unopened.."
 
 
That's why..
 
 
"I'll leave you first.. Yunho-ssi." then she closed the door..
 
 
That's why he didn't know about my feelings.. Because he's not opening the packaging of the books..
 
 
"Jaejoong-ah.. If you only knew.. Behind the covers of those books.. I wrote love letters for you.. All the things I've been keeping since the day I met you.. All the words I can't say.. It's all there.."
 
 
I just cried and cried.. It's too late..
 
 
~~
 
 
(3rd person POV)
 
 
Yunho can't do anything but to accept Jaejoong's death.
 
 
And again.. His feelings for Jaejoong were all written there.. Behind the covers.
 
 
 - END -