Chapter 06

Foam and bubbles

 

That was only temporary, however, when Almighty decided to have something else in store for us.



It was another jolly noon, preparing lunch while waiting for Chanyeol's appearance. I set up the table for the two of us and then waited on the couch humming a happy tune, and was returned by a phone call. I grabbed the phone quickly to hope to see it was who I was hoping for. Of course it would be, the caller ID blinking Chanyeol.

"Hey, shouldn't you be here already?" I pretended to be angry.
"...Hello?" a male voice replied, but surely it wasn't Chanyeol's, and it gave me a bad, bad vibe.
"Who is this?" I demanded.
"Is this _____? I'm sorry, I only called the first number on speed dial."
"Yes, yes it is. Why are you calling through Chanyeol's phone?"
"Ah, the guy must be Chanyeol then. I picked the phone off his hands, he must be wanting to call you when it happened... Well uhm, I'm sorry again to have to bring this news to you..."

I gulped.

"I have just called for the ambulance from K hospital, they would be here soon."

And then I hung up.

 

I ran. I ran as fast I can to Luhan's, hands continuously wiping the tears from fogging my sight. The moment I reached I only banged Luhan's door. Hard. "Luhan!! Please, open up!! Luhan!"

After a while of door banging he finally opened up with a frown, "What do -" He stared at me. Tears wouldn't stop flowing down, and Luhan wouldn't dare to speak up seeing me in this state. "Please, Luhan, get me to the hospital," I sobbed. His gaze changed, he knew it wasn't me who was sick. Immediately he got his car keys and sped off.

+++

Without stopping I ran to the Emergency Room Waiting Lounge. Luhan followed close. There were other people there waiting outside numerous ERs. A guy who I assumed called me earlier walked up to me. He gave me a bitter smile and handed me Chanyeol's phone, pointed to which room is currently is in. The red indicator above the door was still lighted. I could only mutter him a thanks. No, my tears wouldn;t stop falling. I prayed, I kept praying he would be alright, yes he will be fine! Luhan brought us to an empty seat and there I cried in his embrace.  

The operation was longer than expected. The clock showed 8pm. Luhan had gone off to get me coffee, I insisted that I didn't want to eat. Just as he came back, the red light went off. Few moments later a doctor and few nurses came out. "Is anyone here related to Park Chanyeol?" the doctor asked, fingers flipping over a folder of papers. "Me!" I exclaimed.

"You are...?" he asked.
"Chanyeol's fiancee," I lied. Of course the doctor wouldn't approve if I told him other things.
"Fiancee eh...He does seem like a wonderful young man, miss. But," he trailed off.

I didn't need any answer. I knew. Just, how, why?! "I'm sorry," the doctor said, patting my shoulders and left. A nurse who was with him came and talked to me after. "This must be for you then," she said, passing me a small box. I opened it. It was a necklace, with our initials engraved on it. This time, for real, my legs failed on me. Luhan caught be before my whole body could fall. Bring me home, I told him.

 

+++

"That's not the way to my home," I asked Luhan. He was supposed to make a right turn instead of a left. "You're staying with me," he said. But we only live two blocks away... He wouldn't take no for an answer, he said I needed someone to look after me, well just in case. He also said he would bring my things over after putting me to sleep later. I refused, and sat on the bed while waiting for him to get my things over.

"_____!!" It was loud, and it belonged to Suho. Suho. I rushed outside to see a sweaty Suho. "He has been waiting outside your house for quite sometime he said, though I don't really know who - " Luhan got cut off.

"I'm sorry, I haven't fulfilled my duty as his protector..." Suho's eyes gleamed, holding my hands tight. He said Kyungsoo saw it happen. It wasn't an accident. Suho drove them out in the morning, to get something important, Chanyeol said, and wouldn't let anybody follow him. Suho had the car parked across the road and napped for a while and Kyungsoo kept his eye on Chanyeol. Everything happened as fast as it ended. Chanyeol came out the shop happily, waited for the lights to turn green, and then someone had pushed him out the streets. Loud screeches, people screaming. It was more than terrifying.