Chapter 1: The Nightmare

Pathway To Love

All I could remember that day was that I lost both of my parents.... I was dressed in a black dress, feeling cold and unwanted. I can vaguely remember that afternoon my parents didn't show up to pick me up from school……….

 I waited and waited... it was going to be my 8th birthday in 3 days, and I couldn't wait to go on the surprise trip that Appa planned for my birthday. I realized that I fell asleep when I woke up to see two older looking people, teary-eyed reaching to pat my head. I recognized that they were the two people whose photo is hung in our house.. What are they doing here? Appa only said surprise trip, not visitors… right, Appa’s parents, my Grandparents!! I quickly got up and greeted them. “Annyohasseo, Cha Darani-imnida.” The lady’s tears were flowing non-stop. I couldn’t understand why... “Halemoni.. why are you crying?” I asked. “Yeobo… she looks just like our Jisoo… her eyes look just like his.. and look at how beautiful she is… just like Chaeri, her mother…” the grandma sobbed in her husband’s chest.

I could tell that it was pretty weird. Especially how my parents were late coming to pick me up from school, and these two people, who Appa has always told me were his parents, my grandparents… he told me that they loved me a lot, and desired to see me. But now that I finally meet them for the first time, why are they crying?

“Darani, my grand daughter… Harebulji needs to tell you something…” the old guy said. “Deh?” I asked. The Harebulji answered, “Darling-tears continued to flow from his deep eyes- your Umma and Appa got into a horrible…….. they were in a car accident, and died instantly.” … I couldn’t believe what the Harebulji was saying, my Umma always told me that Appa’s Appa, my Harebulji is a man of honesty, why lie? “Neh? That can’t be true….

They only told me that they were going to surprise me for my birthday, this is not part of the plan right?” I asked. The Halemoni answered “Darani, my dearest child… what your Harebulji said is true. This is not planned.. your Umma and Appa did get in a car accident, and couldn’t come pick you up today from school… that’s why Halemoni and Harebulji came to pick up our dearest Darani.”

This can’t be true… no… it’s only a dream; my Appa promised me a surprise trip for my birthday… no… this can’t be true…. ANDWAE!......

[now]~~~ RIIIIIIIIIIIIIING… my cell phone alarm went off…

I had a nightmare again… it’s been 12 years ever since my parent’s death… and it’s almost my birthday again.. I will be celebrating my 22 birthday… I don’t expect any more surprises… living life with Halemoni and Harebulji, knowing that my parents are watching over me, is all that I could ever ask for….

“Darani dear, Halemoni made your favorite soup this morning… wash up and come eat while it’s still warm” I heard Halemoni knock from outside my bedroom door…

“Neh Halemoni. I’ll come down in 30 mins” I answered… “Umma, Appa… watch over me okay… know that I, Cha Darani, your daughter miss you very much..” I whispered to my parent’s picture on my nightstand.