.On the Outside Looking in.

You're Everything

Shinwoo turned the corner, expecting to find himself alone. He needed a break from the party, the loud music and constant chatter. Most of all he needed a break from watching Mi Nyu stare adoringly at Tae Kyung. Some day, maybe it would be easier, but ever since Mi Nyu returned from Africa, Shinwoo wished she would go back. How was it he'd told her all he needed was to be near her? Maybe he could take being rejected but when she held Tae Kyung's hand, and his was empty... Well only a fool would find himself in this situation. Shinwoo was so lost in throught, he jumped in suprise when he realized he was not alone on the deck.

There sat Rae on a bench, her feet tucked under her, a book in her hands.

She shocked Shinwoo earlier as well, when she left her (his) room for the party. Gone was the messy hair, the transient clothing. The girl that appeared before them looked as though she stepped out of photo shoot, every strand of hair in place, blue eyes now rimmed in black. Jeremy had nudged, and whispered, "She cleans up well, huh?" Rae had patted her hair, self-conscious of their stares.

And now those blue eyes found his face again, as Shin recovered from the misstep the surprise caused him. How long had she been watching him? Shinwoo cleared his throat. "Shouldn't you be inside? I thought the party was in your honor?"

"I needed a break." Rae said, sliding a bookmake into the book and shutting it.

"I thought parties were breaks?"

"Not when you're Rae Rae." She slips her feet into her heels and stands, facing the night and flings her arms out. "Every night a party, every week a new city. Every month a new country."

"Sounds exhausting." Shinwoo said with smile.

"No more than being on tour," Rae faced Shinwoo again. "No one wants a boring house guest. I'm sure your fans wouldn't pay to see you sit and read." She pauses for a moment, "Or maybe your fans would."

Shinwoo laughs, "Hardly. But it must get old, a party every night, I always look forward to our breaks."

"It is tiring, I love the travel, and my friends, but I wouldn't mind a break from the parties and bars, and always being on the go." She shrugs, "what's the alternative tho? Going back to Texas, settling down? Not for me, not yet. You might look forward to your breaks, Shinwoo, but you have to love being up there on stage, or else you wouldn't do what you do. I love -"

Inside there's a roar of laughter, and they both turn to look through the window, to see Tae Kyung dipping Mi Nyu. Shinwoo is amazed - Tae Kyung is smiling, and Mi Nyu is laughing. His cheeks flush and he looks at Rae to find her staring at him intently.

"That's something I'm glad I'm never around long enough for. "  She gives Shinwoo a sad smile.

"Rae," Shinwoo starts, "Do you think you could stick around here for a while? I'd like to get to know you."

She looks down at her book. "Maybe, I mean, I'll think about it. I think I'd like to get to know you too, Shinwoo. But call me Rachael, Rae is just a stage name."

"Ok, Rachael."

"Well, I'm gonna head back to the party now," She starts gesturing inside and half turns towards the door, "cause that was a really good exit line."

Shinwoo laughs as he hears her mutter to herself in English walking away. "Would have been a good exit line, you know if you had, like exited ..."

Shinwoo sat down, had he ever thought as little about Mi Nyu as he did when Rachael was around? He found himself smiling just recalling the last couple of minutes, and then Jeremy bounded up.

"Shinwoo, Shinwoo, have you seen Rei-chan? I want to show her Jolie's newest trick! She hasn't seen this one yet!" Jeremy said peering under the bench and then around the tree. "Rei-chan!

"She just went inside. Say, Jeremy... You're not interested in her, are you?" Shinwoo never intended to compete with a friend for a girl again.

Jeremy made a face. "Rei-chan? She's like my sister!"

"That's good. Perhaps I should have asked you first, but I told her I wanted to get to know her better."

Jeremy's shoulders slumped. "I hoped she was going to be around awhile, this time."

"She said she would think about sticking around."

"Her bags as good as packed now, Shinwoo. Rei-chan doesn't like people to count on her being around. I'll bet you kitchen duty for a month, she's out the door before we're even awake in the morning." Jeremy shrugged. "I'm going to go join in the party while there's a party to be had."

He walked away as Shinwoo stared at this new stranger, who was animatedly speaking to guests, wondering if she would be there when he woke the next day. 

Shinwoo, once again, on the outside looking in.