A Knock at the Door

You're Everything

There's a knock at the door, Shinwoo looks up from his cup of tea. "I've got it!" Jeremy yells.

Shinwoo listens as Jeremy greets their visitor. Who would stop by this time of night, he wonders. Life has been quiet recently, since the band is on hiatus working on their new album. 

Mi Nam and Mi Nyu are are with Tae Kyung, writing on a new song. They asked Shinwoo to join them, but it's hard for him to be in the same room with Tae Kjung and Mi Nyu. 

"Ah!" Jeremy walks in the room, a girl at his side. Shinwoo studies her for a moment. She's obviously not Korean, perhaps English or American? She looks as though she carries all her belongings on her back, dressed in a long army jacket and carrying a large duffel bad. "Shinwoo! Shinwoo", Jeremy exclaims, "Meet Rei-chan! She's an old friend from England, she's going to stay with us for a bit." The girl smiles, and something within Shinwoo flutters.

She pauses for a moment, as if trying to come up with the right words. "Thank you for inviting me into your home. I hope not to be a burden." Shinwoo smiles, her Korean is spot on. He replies in English, "It's nice to me you."

"Please," the girl says to Shinwoo, "Only speak Korean to me." She pauses, struggling with the words. "You see, I've found the best way to learn a language is total submersion. You're English is very good, but I'm trying to perfect my Korean."

Shinwoo nods, "I understand." Earlier tonight, he had found himself in a funk, thinking about Mi Nyu and wondering what she and Tae Kyung were doing. Now, however, he found himself staring at this girl, her hair coming out of twin braids at every angle, her blue eyes so different than Mi Nyu's.

Jeremy dances around the room, "Rei-chan is here! We will have parties! We will dance! We will sing! We will eat, drink and be merry!
 

"Yes, Jeremy," Rei-chan said laughing. "We will do all those things, but first, can you show me to my room?"

Jeremy stumbles, her words catching him mid-step. "Shinwoo!" He panics, "we don't have any more extra rooms!"

Shinwoo blinks, caught in a memory. Mi Nyu needed some place to sleep and he was the only one who knew her secret. She'd chosen Tae Kyung over him, well, she always chose Tae Kyung over him. "I'll bunk with you, Jeremy. Miss Rei-chan can have my room."

The girl beamed at Shinwoo. "Don't call me Rei-chan, its a nickname I got from him years ago. Call me Rae. Thank you for giving up your room to me, don't worry, I won't be here long." Jeremy's face fell, but within seconds he was smiling again.

"I'll show you to the room, Rei-chan, shall we plan a party for tonight?"

They left Shinwoo staring into his cup of tea. He didn't know this girl, and had some questions for Jeremy, but for the first time since Mi Nyu broke his heart, Shinwoo felt something stirring inside.