Lost, Found, Gained

Family's Gift

He opened the drawers in a rush one by one, scrambling its contents in search of an important item he had lost. His heart beat faster and faster every time he closed each drawer, signaling that he had not found what he was searching for. When he closed the last drawer of that shelf, his face already lost most of its color and was very, very pale.

He instantly looked out of his room and started searching for his other members. When he found them, he was only peeking from behind the hall, watching from afar without the will to approach them.

Junsu, Jaejoong and Yunho were laughing together on a comedy TV show. Changmin was not with them.

Yoochun looked at them hesistantly, questions started filling up his head; should he? Should he ask them? Would they answer nicely? Would they help? Is it okay to bother them at the first place?

It had not been long since they debut as a group, and though he had started being familiar with their faces and names, he still felt awkward between them. Yunho and Jaejoong were already friends; as a trainee, they were already together. Junsu was close with them too. Figures, he let Yunho stayed at his home when they were still trainees and Yunho still very poor. And Changmin? Yoochun shook his head. He was as shy around his new environment as Yoochun was. Wait, no. Changmin had already started to get over his shyness.

Sure, Yoochun could throw off a smile which would lighten up everyone’s faces. But still, deep inside, he still felt pressured as the last member to join Dong Bang Shin Ki.

And now, to suddenly ask their help for something so important to him…

Yoochun shook his head once more. He wasn’t going to bother them; it was his own problem to begin with, he should as well finish it himself. He left the scene, leaving Yunho, Jaejoong and Junsu together in the living room.

 

 

“Where could it be…?” he muttered in frustration, rummaging the contents of his bag for what seemed as the twentieth time. Once again, he started to panic. He scrambled all the contents of his bag out onto the floor, and then started searching through the mess of items one by one. He exhaled out loud when he did not find what he was looking for. His head slumped onto the bed.

A moment of silence continued. Then, without warning, his head perked up and he stood on his feet. Guess I’ll have to look in the others’ room… But Yoochun didn’t really like that idea. He didn’t remember ever stepping into their rooms before, and he certainly didn’t feel like messing up their rooms.

Just when he turned towards the door, Changmin appeared on the doorway. Yoochun was slightly shocked at Changmin’s sudden appearance, but Changmin was even more shocked when he saw how horrible Yoochun had looked.

“H- Hyung! Are you sick?” Changmin asked from where he stood, not daring to come closer.

“I… I’m fine,” he stuttered. Changmin didn’t seem to believe him. Well, he couldn’t blame the boy, especially since he must have looked very pale. “No, really. I’m fine,” he said, this time with more volume, trying to assure Changmin.

“Then…” Changmin said, unsure whether to believe him or not, “is something wrong?”

Yoochun have not been waiting for that question. Did he expect it? Yes. Of course. Did he want to hear it? Not so much. But now that Changmin had asked that question, Yoochun couldn’t help but feeling that he should answer truthfully. Besides, who wouldn’t answer a question thrown with such pure innocence and worry sketched all over the voice and the eyes?

Seeing Changmin’s genuine worry, Yoochun couldn’t stop when he started telling what had been bothering him very much.

“It’s my bracelet,” he sighed. Changmin guessed that it was the bracelet Yoochun wore every time, anywhere he went, but decided not to say it out loud. “It’s a gift… from my brother. It’s something very precious to me.” That confirmed Changmin’s guess. “I…” he stammered, “I misplaced it.”

Changmin caught the whole situation at once. Everyone knew how much Yoochun loved his family. They knew of the bracelet Yoochun cherished so much, the one that turned out to be a gift from his brother, the bracelet he almost never let go of. Now that he was going to be busy working, he would have less time with his family, and that bracelet was something that kept him feeling close to them. Being a person who loves his family himself, Changmin knew how it felt when you lose a precious gift given by your beloved family. Panic, fear, guilt—it was absolutely horrifying.

“I, I’ll help you!” Changmin instantly said. “I’ll ask the others for help, too!”

“Wait!” Yoochun grabbed Changmin’s arms, taking him by surprise. “Don’t let this bother you. You don’t have to ask the others. I’ll just search for it myself.”

“Whaat?” Changmin said. “It’s not a bother at all! We’ll help you! I mean, we’re all friends! Aren’t we?”

With that, Changmin got out of Yoochun’s grasp and went straight into the leaving room. Yoochun followed shortly behind, another sort of panic sipping in. What if the others felt irritated for having to search for his belonging, something that isn’t even theirs?

Yoochun watched as Changmin entered the living room, gaining Yunho, Jaejoong, and Junsu’s attention. He watched as Changmin started shyly asking for their help. He watched as Changmin pointed at him, making the three glanced at his direction. He felt his heart beat faster as he watched the three about to make their response at Changmin’s words.

“Sure,” Yunho said. He instantly stood up from the sofa, Jaejoong and Junsu following in suit. Changmin smiled at them, saying a “Thank you.” He glanced at Yoochun, giving him a “See?” kind of look. Yoochun watched as Junsu ran past him.

“Don’t worry, hyung! We’ll find it!”

“W-wait!” Yoochun said, but Junsu already disappeared into his room. He saw Yunho and Jaejoong shaking their heads and smiling at Junsu. Then, they went on and approached Yoochun. Changmin tagged along.

“I’m so sorry to bother you!” Yoochun bowed at them. They seemed surprised when he suddenly did.

“Hey, hey, you don’t have to bow like that!” Yunho said.

“This isn’t bothering at all! Instead, I’m sure I need to move around a bit…” Jaejoong stretched his arms.

“Riiiiight, sitting on the couch all day sure is making me stiff…”

Yoochun glanced at s, not sure of what to say.

“You’re welcome!” Changmin suddenly said, out of the blue.

That gave Yoochun a signal of what to say next.

“Oh, right. Thank you so much!” He bowed once again.

 

 

“Mm… where did you last saw it, again?” Jaejoong asked. The five of them were now searching in the manager’s room (good thing the manager was out that time). Yunho punched a fist onto his palm. “Right! Why didn’t we ask that earlier!?” The others instantly looked at Yoochun, waiting for a response. All their stares made him feel a bit awkward.

He thought about it for a bit before answering, “Before I took a shower, I placed it on the small coffee table in front of the bathroom. When I went out, it was already gone.”

The sound of a heavy bag falling surprised them all. They all looked at the fallen bag, just to see that Junsu had dropped that bag.

Not only that. Junsu was now slightly gaping, his hands still on the air. They now watched at him in confusion, but Junsu sat frozen on his spot.

“Junsu?” Yoochun asked.

“Wait. Don’t tell me,” Changmin started.

Yunho was already shaking his head in exasperation.

Jaejoong, who suddenly remembered something and understood the whole situation, was already trying hard to contain his laughter.

Confused and suspecting that something was totally wrong, Yoochun asked once again, “Junsu?”

Junsu slowly, and statically, turned his head towards Yoochun.

“That’s yours?” he squeaked.

 

 

It turned out that Junsu was the culprit behind all this. He saw the bracelet at the small coffee table in front of the bathroom, and actually thought that no one owned it. He found the bracelet appealing. And as a result? He took it (and not to mention, almost making it as a gift for her mother).

“I can’t believe you!” Jaejoong said in midst of his laughter. “I thought Yoochun had gave us the bracelet’s description in the beginning of our search!”

“Wait. He did!? When!?”

“Jaejoong hyung, Junsu hyung ran off before Yoochun hyung got to say anything, remember?” Changmin said.

And so, after saying sorry to Yoochun for the hundredth time, Junsu was finally assured that Yoochun really meant it when he said, “It’s okay.”

Yoochun just shook his head and smiled at all s. He was glad that he got the bracelet back. Even more, he was glad that s agreed in helping him. He might not have found the bracelet if it weren’t for their help.

“Next time,” Yunho said to Yoochun, “don’t hesitate in asking for a favor. We’re one team! We would always be working together from now on. That makes us friends, and friends are always there for each other. Right?”

Yoochun himself saw how those words were proven true in the years to come. They became more than just band members, more than just friends. They became brothers. They were a family, and that was one of the greatest give he had ever received.

 

A few years had passed…

 

“Junsu, gimme back my bracelet,” Yoochun said.

“Eh? But I’ve already given it back to you!” Junsu answered.

Yoochun furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “No you didn’t.”

“Yes I did! You saw me, didn’t you, Changmin?”

“Really? When? I don’t think you’ve returned it to him either,” Changmin said.

At that, Junsu’s eyes widened in surprise. “OH-GOD-I’M-SORRY-I’LL-SEARCH-FOR-IT-NOW!!!” And with that, he dashed out of the living room.

Jaejoong shook his head and stood up from the sofa. “I’ll help him.” He followed Junsu. Yunho also stood up and walked out of the living room.

The room became silent.

Changmin stood up and approached Yoochun. He smirked. Yoochun smiled back.

They almost exploded into laughter.

Almost.

“High five!” Changmin lifted his hands, and they high-fived each other.

“It actually worked-!” Yoochun said between his snickers, trying hard not to laugh out loud.

“It’s Junsu hyung we’re talking about. I just knew he would be tricked,” Changmin snickered along.

Their plan on ‘bullying’ Junsu was progressing on the right steps.

They just didn’t know that Yunho had heard all that, for he was just standing on the hall besides the living room. He shook his head at both of ’s mischievous act—and smiled. He walked off, pretending he had never heard the conversation.

Teasing Junsu was fun afterall.

 

~End

 

 

"If this friendship could last forever, then I don't need anything else"

Micky Yoochun