Charm

Stranger

"Oh, Chaemin, dear, I just wanted to remind you that there's a lecture at the University on cardiothoracic diseases today. Make sure to attend." My mom said over breakfast, not bothering to look up from he case report she was studying.

Great. Another one of those boring lectures they are always sending me too. I let out a small sigh, quiet enough so that my mom would not hear.

"Where's appa?" I asked, noticing my dad was not home- not that he usually was.

"He got called over to the US for an emergency surgery." mom replied, like it was the most normal thing in the world. I sighed again.

"Alright, I'm going to school now. Bye, umma." I said as I picked up my schoolbag and headed out he door. I slipped my iPhone into my purse and got into the black Porsche I got for my 16th birthday. I know i should be thankful, but all I really want is to live a normal life where I can pursue MY dreams and not my parents's.

I searched through my pencil pouch to find the little musical note charm I've kept around since I was little. It's a bit worn now, but it always helps me cheer up.

Start Flashback

*Clap clap clap clap

She turned abruptly, having not been aware someone had been listening.

" Wow, that was really pretty. What's it called?" the boy asked, eyes wide.

" River Flows in You...you know, by Yiruma" the girl replied, shyly, still slightly startled.

"Soooo...do you want become a piano player?" the boy asked.

No, I'm going to become a doctor, a voice whispered in the girl's head.

"Yeah...I do. But, it's impossible. I'm going to be a doctor. Or..my parents want me to be." The girl said, softer this time.

" Well, doesn't seem impossible to me, so it must be possible. If it's what you want, you should go for it." the boy countered. He started for the door.

The girl didn't say anything. She was still unfamiliar with the idea that it was possible to chase your own dreams. She couldn't remember a time when she wasn't going to become a doctor.

"Lets meet back here tomorrow." and before she could reply, he was out the door.

End Flashback

 

Taemin woke with a start.

" Why was I thinking about that? It's been years..." He grunted, ruffled his hair and searched for the new uniform his mom had bought the other night.

It was all very last minute and rushed but Taemin was transferring schools. He wasn't going to move so he hadn't given a chance to tell his friends yet but his mom had always been a spontaneous person. She said the school was top class and very expensive but Taemin had ranked highest in his school on the final exams so they were offering a scholarship.

At the new school, introductions were made a tour was given. He soon realized that things at this school were pretty chill 'cause everyone was actually smart and could maintain good grades. You had practically a whole day to do whatever you wanted. Of course, the first thing he did was wander into the Performing Arts department whre he was met with the clear sound of a piano. He recognized the piece to be River Flows in You, his favorite...

Start Flashback

" Oh hey, you showed up." the boy said. He was happy she was here.

" Yeah, turns out you were actually serious." the girl replied.

" Actually, I got you something." the boy said, fishing around in his bookbag, finally pulling out a little box tied in blue ribbon.

" Here." he held the box out.

The girl tentatively took it and pulled on the ribbon. She opened the box, and there layed a cell phone charm- the shape of treble clef- set with diamonds. Not real ones, the kind you get real cheap at the mall. But it was still very pretty.

" Komawo." was all she said. It was the only thing that got through the mess of words in .

" Don't mention it. I saw it on the way from school." the boy said it like it was nothing, but she could see him blushing.

The girl still hadn't spoken, just nodding, like she was half listening.

" Then how about you?" she asked.

" Huh?"

" What is your dream?"

The boy did not answer right away.

" A dancer."

The girl smiled. She got up and started looking around in her bag.

" Since you gave me something...."

The girl fished out a charm that looked like a miniature shoe. " My dad did surgery on the CEO of Nike. This charm is made of pure gold. My dad gave it to me as a gift but I don't really like it. Here." She said, handing it over.

" Omo..pure gold? Komawo.." he said as he admired the charm. 

As the boy got up to leave he asked the girl, " You'll keep that charm right?"

She nodded.

" I think you could really become an amazing pianist."

He leaned down and whispered into her ear.

" A person who dreams for a long time becomes similar to his dreams."

The girl remained silent. Only looked into the older boy's eyes with wonder.

" Let's keep dreaming."

End Flashback

 

"Screw the lecture" I told myself as I headed in the opposite direction of the University and to the Performing Arts Hall. After a day of exams I really want to just rewind and play some piano.

I open the door to my favorite practice room. It is technically a dance practice room- with a mirror wall and a big window- but it has a piano and the acoustics are nice. I settle down to play River Flows in You, a piece I learned when I was a little girl, still taking lessons.

I still remember one day a boy a little older than me walked in while I was practicing in a practice room at the building where I was taking lessons and told me I could be a world class pianist. I think of the treble clef charm he gave me.

People who dream for a long time become similar to their dreams

I lose myself to the melody.

Let's keep dreaming..

" -ello? Hello?? You there?" A boy wearing a button down shirt with our schools logo and dark blue skinny jeans was standing next to the piano. " Hey, why are you ignoring me?"

For some reason I was feeling clever today. " My parents tell me not to talk to strangers."

" Well, this seems to be the only dance practice room so may I ask you to leave?" he made a slight bowing gesture and sweeped his hand in a motion towards the door.

I sighed. " Fine" I have to go that stupid lecture anyway.

Before I made it past the boy, he took hold of my arm. " Actually, sorry, you can stay...I'm kind of tense from being at a new school."

" Taemin" the boy introduced, reaching out a hand.

Before I could react the charm on his phone caught my eye. Out of his pocket hung a little phone charm the shape of a miniature shoe. With the unmistakable Nike logo. The color of gold.

No. It can't be..him.

" Chaemin. Park Chaemin."

 

 

A/N: getting good, right? it was kind of long this time. hope it isn't confusing. I had a lot of different ideas and they might have gotten mixed up. comment and subscribe!