Great Expectations

Stranger

I quickly turned off the Mozart CD and pulled out the emergency MCAT Prep Workbook I keep on the tables everywhere and tried to look concentrated as my mom trudged through the door after another exhausted day at the hospital. She glanced at the thick book I had stuck my face into and smiled with approval. When she finally moved onto the kitchen I let out a small breath.

My parents are successful surgeons, as were my grandparents, and my great- grandparents. My older sister has already gone to medical school abroad in the US. My mom has published three books and my dad has won a Nobel Peace Prize in Medicine. I live in a big house and I can afford designer brands. I go to a top class private high school. I live the life right?

Wrong.

Ever since I first touched the black and white keys of a baby grand I've wanted to play the piano. My parents let me take lessons when I was little but when they decided it was time to commence Become-a-Doctor I was pulled out of classes. MCAT prep and anatomy textbooks were bought by the dozen and I was forced to spend sunny days at the kitchen table memorizing body parts while the other 5 year-olds played tag. Throughout childhood, I thought these things were normal because the same thing had been happening to my sister. But my sister had always wanted to be a doctor. Naturally smart, the perfect daughter and future doctor.

I wanted to be a pianist.

The day my mom told my old piano teacher Mr. Jung that I would not be taking lessons anymore, his wrinkley face gave me a sad smile. He said " She has such fine potential.", shaking his head

"Park Chaemin, you are going to be a doctor." The promise of my parents is forever etched into my brain.

_______________________________________________________________________

"uh one, two, three four" Taemin counted off before he lost himself in the music. He danced to the upbeat rhythms and catchy melody of th song. He danced until he was covered in sweat and he was about to be late for dinner. His mom didn't like that.

On the way home he met his friends and band members of their band SHINee. Their lead singer, Jonghyun jogged up to him.

"Hey, Taemin, wanna go get a bite to eat and jam a little at my place?"

"Sorry man, I better get home for dinner, my mom gets pretty pissy if I'm late."

"Kay, see you tomorrow then." and they strolled off in the other direction.

Truth was, even though they let Taemin in their band? He was only decent and singing backup and he was really only in it because the five of them- Key: rapper, backup singer, guitar, Minho: rapper, drums, Onew: Main singer, guitar, Jonghyun: lead singer, and Taemin- had been best friends since they were toddlers. their band was low key and it was really for fun and in a band like that there wasn't a need for a dancer like Taemin. Taemin longed to go pro and make it in the entertainment industry but his band members were doubtful and didn't think they were cut out for the world of K-pop boy bands.

So Taemin dealt with it. He just danced by himself in practice rooms in the Performing Arts hall for hours and that seemed to be enough. Not lately, though. there was still something missing.

_______________________________________________________________________

A/N: Ah, first chapter done. Don't worry there are interesting things to come. Comment and subscribe!