Chapter 4

BELLA

 

 

There wasn’t a doubt about it; he was definitely Jun Su.  Even though he was wearing a black leather jacket (something Song Jun Su would never wear), Ha Neul swore it had to be him.  His hair was tousled, like whenever he popped out of bed, late for class.  And he had that mischievous smirk. 

 

She unconsciously rose from her seat and walked towards him.  Jun Su.  Jun Su.  Jun Su.  He was too real; it wasn’t possible.  Ha Neul reached out her hand.  She just needed to touch him…just to confirm.

 

“HA NEUL!” Jae Kyung yelled from his seat, bringing her back to reality.

 

Right.  It couldn’t be him; she needed to get back to work.  She was here because of him; she had watched him die; there was no way he was here too.  Still in a daze, she stumbled back a few steps, twisting her ankle.  Blasted high heels—they were the death of her.  But before Ha Neul landed on the floor, Jun Su rushed forward to hold her up.

 

She could barely hear his “careful now.”  She was too busy smiling.  She was too busy soaking up his presence.

 

He was real.    

 

Thump, thump, thump.

And her heart was alive again.

 

 

For the rest of the night, Ha Neul couldn’t tear her eyes from the back corner booth where he was sitting.  Some of the girls had managed to pry her away from Jun Su, but clearly they had failed.  They got her body, but her heart was still with him.

 

“So…is he your ideal guy?” Jae Kyung spoke up finally, fingers drumming impatiently on the tabletop.  His glass had yet to be refilled though he had already finished it after he returned from the restroom.

 

“Uh…fill…will…champagne call…”  Ha Neul couldn’t even form coherent sentences.  All her focus was directed to the Jun Su look-alike.  He wasn’t accompanied by any girls.  He wasn’t even drinking.  She didn’t think about Jae Kyung’s seething face; she didn’t ask why Jun Su was sitting in the back with the rest of the gang members.  She could only see Jun Su.

 

“Alright.”  Jae Kyung stood up, grabbing onto her arm.  “Let’s do something about this.”  He pulled her up from her seat and dragged her towards the back of the room.

 

“Wait!  What are you doing!” she sputtered.

 

His grip tightened around her wrist.  “Isn’t this what you want?”  If so, he’d just throw her at him and get it over with.

 

 

 

As Jae Kyung approached them, the guys around Jun Su stood up menacingly, reaching into their inner jacket pockets.  If it weren’t for Jae Kyung, she would’ve long turned back.  Getting shot wasn’t exactly in her plans for the day.

 

Jun Su motioned for his followers to relax—a businessman and his hostess, what danger could there be? 

               

“Bella here has a request.”  Jae Kyung nodded towards her, looking almost bored.

 

 “Bella…,” Jun Su repeated to himself.  Her name rolled so beautifully off his tongue, just like the first time he had given her that name.  “What is it?”  He raised an eyebrow at her, amused.

 

“She’s been looking at you the whole night, and we noticed you were alone,“ Jae Kyung answered for her.  Ha Neul stared wide-eyed at her client.  How could he be this bold?

 

Jun Su leaned forward from his seat.  “Let me get this straight.  Bella here is interested in me.”  He pointed to Ha Neul and then at Jae Kyung.  “And you want me to take her?  You know once they’re mine, I never give them back.”

 

This was it: her chance to enter Quiksilver territory.

 

Jae Kyung shrugged.  “Do what you want.”

 

Her heart dropped.  Wait, what?  Why was she so disappointed with his nonchalant answer?  She didn’t expect to have to cut ties with Jae Kyung in exchange for access to Quiksilver.

 

It was a decision she was eventually going to have to make: Jae Kyung or Jun Su, good or evil.  But for today, she was saved.  Jun Su laughed, shooing them away.  “Don’t really feel like playing today.  Run along now before I change my mind.”

 

 

 

“I’ll walk you out,” Ha Neul offered.  Who knew what would happen after his interaction with Quiksilver; he was going to get shot.  Sure she was a gutsy undercover policewoman, but there was no way she could’ve spoken to Jun Su as courageously as he did.

 

Jae Kyung brushed past her, ignoring her offer.  After Jun Su rejected her and they returned to their booth in the front of the club, he had been ignoring her.  Ha Neul had tried all ways to get him to talk—she had refilled his champagne, tickled his sides, even kissed him on the cheek, but Jae Kyung had closed himself up again.  It was back to sitting quietly besides him; he didn’t even have his arm around her though she had attempted to lean against him.  This was the ultimate rejection.

 

He was just a client.  But still, she felt uneasy, so she followed him out.  Unsurprisingly, he ignored her presence, but at least she could see him safely to his car.  They stopped at his vehicle, and he fumbled for his keys.

 

Even as Jae Kyung got into the car and revved up the engine, they did not exchange any words.

 

But he suddenly rolled down the window, shouting from across the parking lot.  “He’s not who you think he is.”

 

Ha Neul stared at him, confused.  He was an investor; how did Cho Jae Kyung know who exactly Jun Su was then?

 

“Stay away from him, Yoon Jong Hyun.”

 

Let alone, how did Cho Jae Kyung know his full name?  He couldn’t have known his name unless he was well versed in Quiksilver members.  A gangster?  But they wouldn’t have treated him with such hostility.  A gangster from another group?  But most of the gangs had been overrun once Quiksilver appeared.  A man with a vendetta?    Maybe he really was undercover. 

 

…Who was he?

 

But before she could interrogate him, he had already sped away, leaving her all alone in the dusty lot.