How They Met

A Mermaid's Tale

It was a time not long before ours, in the deep sea no humans has ever visited. There was a little mermaid named Charlene. She’s the youngest daughter of King Neptune whom has ruled all the seas for millions of years now. Today she will be turning 18 and in human years it’s probably 500 years. Like her eleven older sisters, she can request for anything and King Neptune will grant her wish. Unlike her older sisters, who asked for pearls, diamonds or even a sea castle, she asked for a pair of legs. King Neptune was furious by the request and told her to never mention such a silly thing again. But Charlene didn’t give up because in her mind and her heart there’s an image she could not get rid off.

 

Maybe its fate or maybe it was just an accident but their encounter was something you only see in movies (not that Mermaids watch movies but from all the stories Charlene heard from her seagull friends it sounded like one.) That night the moon was round and the sky was clear. She was practicing her back with the turtles when suddenly bright lights on the sky caught her eyes. The bright lights were like nothing she has ever seen before. She couldn’t help but swam closer so she could get a better look. The turtles told her that those are “humans” and they were holding a party on a “boat”. Charlene figured party is probably similar to Mer-banquets”.  But what caught her eyes more than anything is the way those people swung and glided with their “legs”. She got closer and closer until she could actually reach out and touch the boat. She rested her head on the edge of the boat and watched with admiration and wished she could be part of this party. Suddenly a pair of eyes met her and she felt her heart skip a beat. What is this feeling? She didn’t know the answer but she will never be able to forget.

 

Is he seeing things or did he just saw a young girl’s face in the sea? Chun came closer to the edge so he could take a better look. Their eyes met and she turned away quickly into the vast sea. She turned around and looked at him one last time before swimming away. He stood in astonish because he has never seen anyone swim more elegantly than her.