How She Loved Him

A Mermaid's Tale

 

If becoming a human was painful it was nothing compare to the way she feels now. When she first arrived at the palace, everything was new and exciting for her. Everywhere he went, she went to. He taught her many new and interesting things such as horse back riding, eating hamburgers and dancing. Every Sunday night, there would be a banquet at the palace and Chun would always save the first and last dance for her. Although she was still not used to her legs and often trap when they danced, they were both having a good time. Their life was perfect until a few days ago when she showed up, Angela, the princess of Diamond Island. For the first time in her life, Charlene understood the feeling of jealousy. How come someone move with such grace, dance with such elegance and smile with such radiance. Her skin was white like milk and her hair were smooth like the finest silk. Standing in front of her Charlene didn’t know how to hide her flaws. But she knew the worst was still on its way.

 

And now they are on a grand yacht sailing out to the sea to celebrate Chun and Angela’s wedding. In a sense, Charlene knew that they were meant to be together because either Chun or Angela could claim their rightful throne until they were married to a royal family of even power. But it doesn’t make it any easier for Charlene to accept the truth.

 

Chun noticed Charlene sitting on the railing and walked over to her. He reached out and asked her for a dance, perhaps the last dance they will ever share because after tonight he will be a married man. In his heart, his feelings for her are confusing. When he first met her, he saw the shadow of someone else, the girl that saved him and ran away before he could say thank you. That was part of the reason he brought her back to the palace and housed her. But slowly she started to grow on him, her beauty, her charisma and especially her curiosity for the world. Every little thing he did always seem to amaze her and make him feel a great accomplishment. He wouldn’t dare tell anyone but sometime he even wonder what it would be like to be with her for the rest of his life. But he knew that a day dream would remain a day dream and this day would eventually come; he would have to married the girl picked out for him by his father.

 

As they moved around the dance floor, Charlene knew that her time as a human was nearing its end. With her every move, sharp pain were tearing up her legs. She knew that she would soon lose her mobility as this was the bet she made with the witch-queen. Charlene recalled when she asked the queen for a pair of legs how the queen laughed at her face and told her there is no such thing as true love with humans. Charlene refused to believe her and the queen made her a bet. She would turn her into a human and if Charlene could get the prince to marry her then she would not require a payment. But in the case if the prince marries someone else then Charlene would long her tails forever. She would not live to as the next day as she will turn into the water bubble and disappear as the sunrises. But before her death she would suffer the greatest pain as every step she takes would feel like she’s walking on pins and needles.

Chun noticed the painful look on Charlene face and told her she should rest early. Charlene walked gingerly as he escorted her back to her room. In front of her room, they were both reluctant to say goodbye and Chun embraced her in a tight hug. Finally he let go of her and they said their final goodbyes. 

 

Charlene heard someone calling for her and walked closer to her window, all her sisters were there. At first she thought it was the darkness playing a trick on her eyes but she was not mistaking. Her sisters’ silken hairs were all chop off at the shoulder, their luminous diamond that symbolized their status as princesses were also gone. Gillian, the sister she is closes to in terms of both age and relationship, were raised to the window by a wave and she wiped off the tears on Charlene’s face. “Don’t cry little sister, very soon you will return to us.” Gillian handed her a black coral blade, “this is the blade were got from the witch-queen. All you have to do is spear this blade into the hurt of the prince before the sunrise and you will not die. You will get your tail back and become one of us again.”

 

Charlene took another look at the blade in her hand, the blade that her sisters sacrificed so much to get. In the darkness of the night, the blade was growing with evil. She looked down at the sleeping prince; next to him was his new wife. She saw that he was smiling, even in his sleep and she was no longer scared. As a mermaid or bunch of bubbles she will always remain a daughter of the sea but her heart will always be with the one she love. She leaned down and planted a kiss on his check as her tears rolled down her cheek; she lowered her blade.

 

When the sun rose, the prince woke up and wiped his cheek, it was still wet. His windows were open and he could smell the fresh breeze of the ocean. The sun was bright and the ocean was a beautiful blue but a dark cloud was in his heart. He quickly went down the hall and knocked on Charlene’s door; there were no answer. He’s heart sank as he opened the door and didn’t see her smiling back at him. From that day on, he never saw her again but from time to time he thought he could still hear him whisper in his ears, just like the night of his wedding.

 

“I love you my prince and I always will.”