How She Saved Him

A Mermaid's Tale

 

Charlene pumped all her sea-friends for information and found out all she could about “him”. They said he is a crown prince of a nearby island. They often see him walking his dog, play sports with his friends and cruise the ocean at night.

 

From that day on, a new routine formed in Charlene’s life. In the morning, she would swim up to his island and watch him play “volley-ball” with his entourage. She would then return to the sea for her classes and get back just in time to get him walk his dog under the sunset. Dogs are strange to Charlene too since it looked nothing like any pet she has ever own. She wondered if being by a dog feels anything like being by a dolphin. Whether it was watching playing with his friends or his pet dog, Charlene was amazed at how fast he could move his “legs” since to her they look like two over-grown arms, bending the wrong way. Slowly she got used to it and wondered what it would be like to have a pair of those.

 

When night falls, Charlene couldn’t help but get excited because every night he would sail out on his boat and get closer to her world. But today was not a good night for sailing. The wind was too strong and the waves were too high. Even the moon and the stars are invisible. Charlene followed his boat until her arms grew tired and her eyes were blurred by the wind and the rains. But she knew she couldn’t stop, not until she’s sure he will be safe.

 

Chun always loved the sea because it was the only place that could calm him. But today he has so much on his mind that even the summer breeze couldn’t clear his head. By the time he noticed the first approaching storm it was already too late and he had already lost his way. His boat was rocking out of control and he was drenched by the rain. Once again he thought he saw someone in the water again but before he could get a good look a huge wave washed him into the mass ocean.

 

Chun felt his body sank like a bag of rocks; all the way to the bottom of the ocean. At first he struggle but then he stop fighting. Under the ocean, you can’t feel the wind, the storm and he started to admire the serenity of the ocean. He finally closed his eyes he started to feel out of breath. Maybe this is the better ending, he thought, at least I don’t have to worry about the throne, the kingdom and all the politics anymore.

 

Chun felt something tugging at him but he couldn’t open his eyes. He could feel her touch and it made him felt safe. The water around him disappeared and he could breathe again. Chun struggled to open his eyes and only managed to do some for it few seconds. Could it be her, the girl that he’s been seeing over and over? 

 

Charlene hid behind the rocks as the soldier from the palace rushed to his side. She saw him looking around as they carried her. Oh how much she wished she could be by his side.

 

Charlene used to day dream about how perfect her life would be if he could join her under the sea. After all, he does seem to love the sea as much as she does. As the youngest daughter, she is destined to take the throne (probably after another million years) and they can live happily together. But after this incident she knew this would not be probably. She was told that humans cannot be under water for a long period of time they Mer-people can. But she had not idea that the water could actually kill them. 

So there is only one option left for her, she will have to become a human and live on land with him.